Video capture of Computer Screen

SilverElfSilverElf Posts: 45
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I am looking for software to video capture my screen for a variety of reasons:

1) I would like to take some videos of me using DS Poser and my modeling programs
2) I would like to find something that my kids can use also for their games. My youngest has been using a camcorder to make videos and he would like something that takes it directly from his screen instead. (Things like minecraft and sim city)

I tried the trial version of fraps and I could not make it take the whole screen it just took a small section of the screen and I could not figure out how to make it video the whole screen :(

Any suggestions on what has been used by others here would be great :)

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,808
    edited December 1969

camstudio

• SilverElfSilverElf Posts: 45
    edited December 1969

camstudio

I need something a little cheaper than that :) according to the site its $300.. Hubby just was medically retired so we are currently surviving on Hubbies very small retirement pay and what I am bringing in from Substitute teaching, so we have had a huge pay cut...

edited April 2013

what? it WAS open source freeware, now the site no longer can be found
    wonder when that changed?

CamStudio
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    CamStudio

CamStudio v.2.6 (build r294) screenshot on Windows 8
    Developer(s) nickthegeek, windycity, wolfpackmars2, romulus9, jpetroules, gotschai, bleeblap
    Initial release October 2001
    Stable release 2.5 Beta 1 / September 6, 2007; 5 years ago
    Preview release 2.7 (Build r316) / February 15, 2013; 49 days ago[1]
    Development status Available
    Written in C++
    Operating system Microsoft Windows
    Platform Microsoft Windows
    Available in English
    Type Screencasting software
    License GNU General Public License
    Website camstudio.org
    CamStudio is a screencasting program for Microsoft Windows released as free software. The software renders videos in an AVI format. It can also convert these AVIs into Flash Video format, embedded in SWF files. CamStudio is written in C++, but CamStudio 3 will be developed in C#.
    Contents [hide]
    1 History
    2 See also
    3 References
    4 External links
    [edit]History

The original CamStudio was released as an open source product by RenderSoft software in October 2001.[2] The source code license was converted to the GNU General Public License in December 2002 with release 1.8.[3] The Source code of versions 1.0, 1.4 and 2.0 are still available at SourceForge.
    In 2003, the company was acquired by eHelp Corporation who owned a competing product called RoboDemo (now called Adobe Captivate[4][5][6]). eHelp Corporation released an updated version as CamStudio 2.1 under a proprietary software license only and removed the ability to create SWFs.[7] A succession of acquisitions led to the company being owned by Adobe.
    Development of CamStudio 2.0 (the last open-source version) was resumed and released as free software again in September 2007 with the CamStudio 2.5 Beta 1 release.[8] Accordingly, it was re-branded as CamStudio Open Source.
    CamStudio 3 is a complete rewrite of the project in the pre-alpha stages of development as of April 19, 2010, and is seeking developers.[9]
    [edit]See also

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

oh I thought you said Camtasia (Which is $300 lol) someone had suggested that... I tried CamStudio as well and again could only get it to capture a small section of my screen and when I tried to configure it it kept crashing on me :(

edited April 2013

I just Googled that btw, I have had it since 2009 and my version is definitely opensource
    try this

cs.jpg
    285 x 300 - 34K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

SilverElf said:
    I am looking for software to video capture my screen for a variety of reasons:

1) I would like to take some videos of me using DS Poser and my modeling programs
    2) I would like to find something that my kids can use also for their games. My youngest has been using a camcorder to make videos and he would like something that takes it directly from his screen instead. (Things like minecraft and sim city)

I tried the trial version of fraps and I could not make it take the whole screen it just took a small section of the screen and I could not figure out how to make it video the whole screen :(

Any suggestions on what has been used by others here would be great :)

should be some thing you like here -

http://download.cnet.com/windows/video-capture-software/?filter=licenseName="Free"|&filterName=licenseName=Free|&rpp;=&sort;=

• MJ_VivianightMJ_Vivianight Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

And for Fraps click the MOVIE icon on top then check Video Capture Settings Full-size for full screen.
    Cheers
    :)

frapsclip.jpg
    400 x 351 - 34K
    edited December 1969

And for Fraps click the MOVIE icon on top then check Video Capture Settings Full-size for full screen.
    Cheers

That just makes the movie the full size that it is recording... for some reason when I try and record DAZ Studio in Fraps it only records the area where the figures are. I need it to record the whole program window (Both menu sides)

I think Fraps will work well for the kids, it just doesn't seem to do what I need :( I did notice there is one called active presenter that might work for me (It doesn't do the games for the kids) Has anyone ever tried that?

• MJ_VivianightMJ_Vivianight Posts: 0
    edited April 2013

Ah sorry, my bad. (Haven't finished my tea yet.)

Check this link:
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111207114107AACn8Ez

You need to be in an AERO desktop setting to capture the full deal. As well as have the latest Fraps. Under General check Monitor Aero desktop (DWM). Works fine for me.

Cheers

Post edited by MJ_Vivianight on