A parachute/parasail

Surprised no one has made any of these. Para sail either.

Seems like it'd be good since there are poses, the chute closed in various styles and tons of options for how decorative the chute, itself can be.

Military ones, very rectangular and hobbyist ones that have beautiful colors and such.

Comments

• Oh so for poses, it'd be the jumps and the landing (including the roll maybe) and sky diving poses.

Floating, would be good for zero g applications too.

For the sky-divers, you get a lot of options for what you could do with those suits.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,563

avxp, one of the links Charlie posted (free3d) has quite a few copyrighted meshes, so probably best to avoid that site.

• Okay.

• Parachute and poses for G3F & G8F and G3M & G8M would be awesome 

• As i was searching for a parachute, i saw the model from renderosity for m4, but i was wondering, if it will work in DAZ Studio very well? It's an .obj so i think it will be imported wirthout morphs just one solid object, right? Has anyone experiences with?

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206
    koshnika said:

Has anyone experiences with?

I have a few models from other sources... some of them are quite good but at times you do have to fiddle around a bit - possibly an issue. I think that once you have played around in the DS and Poser environment you get a feel for moving things around... but yeah, I'd have to wonder about a parachute (or anything involving fabric or soft surfaces) that is a "rigid" .OBJ file. And conversely, whether something that is "rigged" for use outside of DS will play nicely when you import it.

If you see the words "tested OK in DAZ Studio" in the description I think that helps... also some models will come with a detailed packing list that tells you where everything is supposed to go. Example: the Rendo F-18 Hornet.

I have some experience (20+ jumps) with the type of military/ex-military, 1960's or 1970's parachute shown on Rendo and my main issue would be with some of the technical details... I have never seen a square of canvas or nylon or whatever the "roof" is supposed to be, just above the jumper's head; for safety reasons (think: did my canopy inflate properly???) you want to have a clear view of what's going on above you. Also this type of military chute compresses to a significantly larger pack than the one shown... it is as if the figure is wearing a 10 lb. day-pack; it ought to look more like a 35 or 40 lb. BACKPACK in my opinion... much more volume. Finally, the point at which each shroud line connects to the inflated canopy is actually an area of great tension... here it looks slack so it's like the problem with bra straps all over again, in DS: real bra straps don't sit loosely on the figure's collarbone, there's a visible tension there caused by the weight of the breasts. Anyway...

Another application for a good canopy model would be when you are recovering spacecraft eg. Project Apollo and (I assume) the newer Orion and Dragon capsules, that sort of thing.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    edited December 2017
    koshnika said:

As i was searching for a parachute, i saw the model from renderosity for m4, but i was wondering, if it will work in DAZ Studio very well? It's an .obj so i think it will be imported wirthout morphs just one solid object, right? Has anyone experiences with?

I have the Cybertenko round canopy parachute. It's a regular Poser CR2 for M4, not an OBJ. No idea why it's labeled that way. It has morphs for M4 at the top level and morphs for the parachute harness and canopy on the parachute bone. It absolutely should not be autofitted, or you really will have a completely rigid structure, because all of the bones it needs will be removed, but other than that, it's a typical Poser character/figure.

EDIT: There's also a free parasail at Rendo free stuff - https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/a-simple-parachute-for-free-/76348
    It says "parachute", but that looks like it's not quite right, from the image.

No idea what figure it's for or what type of character it is or anything like that. Given that it mentions poser, if it's a character/figure, it's probably for V4.

Post edited by vwrangler on