Speech to text recognition software

carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hi my brother is going to have surgery on his shoulder and be unable to use his left arm for awhile,so I thought I'd asked you knowledgeable people what voice to text software you would recommend for him to use while he is on the mend ,cheap is good but any thoughts are welcome,and thanks in advance ....

Comments

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Dragon Naturally Speaking is an excellent product. Home version is around $75.

http://www.nuance.com/dragon/index.htm

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951
    edited December 1969

icprncss said:
    Dragon Naturally Speaking is an excellent product. Home version is around $75.

http://www.nuance.com/dragon/index.htm

Thank you icprncss .

• edited December 1969

Dragon is the one my mother who was a quadriplegic used.

Just remember it takes time to train it, while it is not bad straight out of the box, you will get much better results after training.

And don’t stop and speak each word individually, it works best when words flow properly.

• edited December 1969

Dragon Naturally Speaking is great. I highly recommend the current version, 12. Ideally, you'll want 8 gb of RAM. And an external soundcard and a decent microphone is crucial for accuracy. That can make a huge difference. Do a search for Knowbrainer forums and browse and ask your questions there. Very awesome and helpful people there that helped me decide what microphone and soundcard to get.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The Full Package of Dragon 12 will come with a Headphone Microphone set with a USB adapter, remove it and it will just plug into the Mic and Sound jacks. I have it and use it 90% of the time. And Yes 8Gb of ram is optimal.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951
    edited December 1969

Thank you so much for the replies you all are great !!