Hair room symmetry

In the hair room, symmetry doesn't seem to be working correctly on G2. Whyyyy?

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited September 2017

Can you give a few more details?  It seems to be working for me.  

Loaded G2M.  Dragged hair icon to actor level.  Enabled symmetry.  Changed selection brush size.  Painted selection on one side.  Carrara selected mirror polygons.  Test would be a mustache

sym not work.JPG
    1721 x 802 - 197K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496

I did all that, except I loaded a G2M I morphed in DS. It didn't mirror even while i painted the head. I loaded a deault g2f and it sort of mirrored, but not exactly. it acted like the symmetry "broke" or wasn't symmetrical anymore.

i did also try restarting carrara.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795
    edited September 2017

dunno why it ain't working on yours

but

working as expected on mine... ( misses a few polys because I did it quick )

G2 with George morph

hair symm.jpg
    825 x 680 - 119K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

I have gotten off-centre before, so check that if needed and centre the vertical green line which is under Hair in the tool bar in Hair Room.  Maybe you did that already, just suggesting as it's easily 'lost'. I also do not get perfect symmetry if I have really morphed the living daylights out of a character. But I will get a green line visible dividing the planes.   

smiley  Silene

Okay, so it works on default g2s.

but now...the length tool? ti messed with its settings, but nothings gettin longer...

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

Which length tool are you using?  The one under Tool in the drop down?  The icon one from the top tool bar?  Or you can set length in the right panel. They all behave somewhat differently. If you select certain guide hairs and use the drop down one under Tool, you need to set a longer length than it 'thinks' it is now.  EG, if you have previously trimmed a guide and the hairs got shorter, that group still retains the length number in its setting, so you have to sort of 're-grow' it to a longer number, higher than 1... usually 2 will do it. Some screen shots would help to understand what issues you are having.

smiley Silene

Oh,  I  never  looked under the tool menu.  I just assumed the icon was tthe only length TOOL. i know about the length in properties, ut thats for the entire hair

0kay, backi t9o symmery. See those guides in the middle? I don/t understand how those buttheads got knocked out of symmetry. I tried resetting them and redoing them and removimng them and adding new ones and redoing them and nope and nope and nope and....whyyyyyy...

Capture.PNG
    1920 x 1040 - 421K

FYI, Thosse guides are ust 0 density so I can see the guides.

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

Hmm, jumped into the hair room for a sec and trying to replicate your symetry problem.  I can see the symetry function isn't perfect. As line I use deliberate brush strokes I seem to get good symetry, if I use a quick brush stroke that yanks the hair back and forth too quickly, I'm seeing slight differences in symetry.  Also I can see that pulling the hair from one side of the green symetry plane to the opposite side throws the symetry tool off too. 

Just as an aside, but I wouldn't advise painting or growing hair directly on the actual Genesis mesh itself.  Not to say you can't do that, but if you're going to do any sort of animating, or even just simulations to drape the hair I don't recommend it.  I much prefer painting/growing the hair on a low-poly proxy that I can then parent to the head of any figure I choose and make the proxy invisible (it won't make the hair invisible).  There are multiple benefits to doing it this way, most especially much faster hair sims and draping, but also if you create and style a hair for one specific figure, well then you can't use it with any other figure. If you put it on a low-poly proxy you can then use that same hair with any figure, animate it, etc, just save the low poly proxy with the hair on it to your objects tab, load it up to be used with any figure (to account for heads that are different sizes, just make the proxy visible long enough to use the scale tools to make it fit the same size as the new character's head, or for perfect fit just model in the assembly room and with soft select you can pull the polys of the proxy into perfect position).  I'm no expert by any means, but I got pretty comfortable with the hair room because I love how great Carrara hair performs in terms of realism both in rendering and in dynamic animations and collisions.  I did a couple of video tutorials on the subject on youtube, if it helps at all.

I was planning on conerting it to an obj with -- what' his name -- phioeroot's  hair conversion thingo. Haven't tried it yet though.

edited October 2017

Yup you should be able to do that too.  I still recommend growing it out of a low poly object, which can then be parented to any figure's head, instead of straight out of the Genesis itself.  Of course you could simply cut off the top of the G2 head and use that as the 'hair cap' too, but on the other hand putting it on a low poly object instead has the benefit of really fast dynamic sims as you're arranging the hair as you like to get to the final hairstyle you're looking for.  Sure you can do it all with the brush, push, and cut tools too, but I think it would take longer than running a quick sim, letting gravity make the hair settle naturally, then styling from there.  Also once you've got the hairstyle you want, to get variations for possible morphs it's probably easier to put your G2 in a particular pose, run another quick sim, and let the hair drape naturally so that you can make a morph target for your hair too.  Like if you have a long-haired character and you want a hair morph for whent he character is laying flat on his/her back, it's easy enough to simply re-arrange your character into a laying pose just above a low poly object the hair can collide against as if it were a mattress or floor or something, let the hair settle into place, and save it out as a morph.  You could do it with brushing and such too of course, but maybe not as quickly and easily.  

Just in case it helps here's a link to the first of my vids on how to make a hairstyle from scratch.  Even though the vids are how to make and animate Carrara hair in Carrara (and this is before Philemot made his plugin) they might help give familiarity with the various tools and how they work.  I did 2 different series of tutorials, one for a simple hair and one for one slightly more complex, I'll give the links to the first vid for both series in case it helps:

Carrara Hair Tutorial 1, part 2 a very simple hair (I realized the first vid in the series just doesn't contain much info that's useful, just me blathering and giving an overview, so I'll post the 2nd vid in the series as a starting point instead):

Carrara Hair Tutorial 1, part 1 (a slightly more complex hairstyle):

Post edited by Jonstark on

Those vids are actually what got me rolling in the hair room, but I've been in school, so it's been a while. I'll probably look at them again.

Is there even a G2 low-poly proxy? I don't have a lot o time to ashion one ATM.

Is there even a G2 low-poly proxy? I don't have a lot o time to ashion one ATM.

Doesn't have to be specific to G2, any vaguely human shaped low poly proxy will do, you can simply adjust scale to make it match more correctly or simply model in the assembly room with soft select and symetry to pull a few polys into the exact right spot.  Diomede was good hearted enought to put up a freebie low poly Genesis 1 on sharecg:

http://www.sharecg.com/v/79449/browse/5/3D-Model/Genesis-Crude-Envelope-Mesh-for-Proxy-Hair-Sims

I actually use that as my base, I took it apart and use the head and neck/upper chest and I customized it just ever so slightly by adding just a few extra polys to the head so I can get very precise hairlines if I need to.  Since the proxy is invisible and it's only purpose is to grow and collide with the hair, what it looks like doesn't matter at all, only that the size conforms to the size of your G2.  Simply drag the head of the low poly object so that it's in the same space as your G2, grow and style the hair, then turn it invisible and parent it to your G2's head and you're good to go :)

Hey, so I did a drape instead of brushing the whole dang ddddddddffhing down. I also tried using a face shield thingamabooboo to keep thed hair from getting in her face. But for whatever reason  he hair ends up horrible like this

Capture.PNG
    1920 x 1040 - 325K
    Capture2.PNG
    1920 x 1040 - 425K

Hey, so I did a drape instead of brushing the whole dang ddddddddffhing down. I also tried using a face shield thingamabooboo to keep thed hair from getting in her face. But for whatever reason  he hair ends up horrible like this

I suspect this will be a super easy quick fix (unless I'm wildy wrong about what's going on here).  In the hair modeling room, in the center tab 'general' scroll to the bottom section which is for 'Interpolation'.  Click on enable 'Auto-Grouping'.  This is what tells the loose hairs to move towards and clump together with the Guide hairs within a certain range, and you can adjust this by putting check marks in 'distance', 'angle' or 'distance along'.   My default is to check 'distance along' and set it between 2.5 and 3.5.  You can tweak it a little, but essentially you don't want to have any of the loose hairs that are too far away from the guide hairs, without a guide hair nearby telling them what to do they will just drape down through things they should be colliding with.

Thawt dun it! Tthanks!