RobotHeadArt's 3d WIP Workshop

For the last few months I've been studying using Houdini with DAZ Studio assets.  As I am very much a hobbyist (and non-artist by trade) I welcome any and all feedback on the projects I am working on so I may hopefully improve as well as share the knowledge with others.

First big project I have been working on is finding a way to convert DAZ Studio assets to be used in Houdini.  I picked up the Redshift GPU renderer since I found Houdini's Mantra renderer to be far too slow for rendering SSS and transmapped hair.  Attached are images of Karen 7 https://www.daz3d.com/karen-7 converted to Redshift shaders built totally from scratch by me.  This has been very challenging as the SSS model used by DAZ's Iray materials and Redshift is totally different.  When I'm happy with the shaders and have tested them on a greater range of skin tones and characters made by multiple PAs I plan on making them freely available as well as a script to convert the Iray materials to the Houdini node network.  Some specific things I'm looking for are... skin tone, bump effect strength (too much? too little?), SSS effect, and eyes materials.

Face_1.0001.0.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 271K
Face_2.0001.0.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 249K
Body_1.0001.0.jpg
2000 x 2600 - 1M

Comments

• JeffGJeffG Posts: 118

Skin looks good - but your sss looks green. It's a fairly common problem with some engines. You may need to use the inverse of the SSS color your are currently using (not familliar with redshift).

• Thank you for the feedback @JeffG.  I thought something was a little "off" but I couldn't put my finger on it.  The Redshift material shader has three SSS layers.  I inverted the red shallow layer and I think it looks much better, particularly around the ears, lips, and under the eyes.

Face_v2_1.0001.0.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 295K
    Face_v2_2.0001.0.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 287K
    Body_v2_1.0001.0.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 1M
  • benoxfbenoxf Posts: 0

Looks fantastic now. Great job! yes
    I just recently started to test out Redshift because I felt Mantra was just too slow for me despite my powerful CPU. I am wondering are you still working on your shaders and the Iray -> Redshift script?