Free Scary Method To Ressucitate Your DS "Scripts" menu

mCasualmCasual Posts: 4,604
edited September 2017 in Freebies

since everybody in the woarld has all my freebie scripts .... https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts8

OK so, if any of this seems bizarre to you then DONT ATTEMPT THIS

this morning my PC had apparently been rebooted by windows update

there was a Notification to the effect that Windows Desktop Update would eventually reboot the PC,

i said "do it now" but it didnt do it, meaning the mysterious reboot was what happened

my Daz Studio top menu was not ordered normally and the "Scripts" menu was gone

so i resetted the workspace

the menus were now re-ordered in the normal way

still no "Scripts" menu

Since i use a gazillion of my scripts daily i didnt want to re-add them 1 by 1 manually

It turns out that some mysterious event wiped out the "Scripts" menu items from Daz Studio's menus.dsx file, but they are still listed in the customactions.dsx file

.... so i did this : ( but as i said "DONT DO IT IF YOU'RE NOT USED TO THAT STUFF"

...else it could do things like crash Daz Studio each time you try to start it

=========

fixmyscriptsmenus.jpg
800 x 1000 - 348K
Post edited by mCasual on

Comments

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,900

Great! Thanks, this will solve one of my problems! yes

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693
    edited September 2017

(mindsong makes note-to-self to backup his

C:\Users\==YourUserName==\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\

and

C:\Users\==YourUserName==\AppData\Roaming\Dimension3D\

folders... It has been waaay to long since my  last "just-in-case" backup)

My recent windows 10 update didn't happen nearly as much 'later' as I expected this time, and cleared my work yesterday too.

Thanks for the tip and your invaluable scripts!

cheers,

--ms

Post edited by mindsong on
  • dHandledHandle Posts: 617

Why aren't scripts persistant across Workspaces?

You'd think someone would have figured out by now that if I switch Workspaces, I might still want SOME of my customizations from the last one, and they would ask me if I want them included in the new Workspace.  (Choices are good!!  Default screw ups are not good.)

Jacques said "Since i use a gazillion of my scripts daily i didnt want to re-add them 1 by 1 manually.  It turns out that some mysterious event wiped out the "Scripts" menu items from Daz Studio's menus.dsx file, but they are still listed in the customactions.dsx file"

Hey!  I feel your pain!  This is what happens EVERY time I decide to upgrade to a new version of Studio.  (4.5 to 4.6, 4.6 to 4.7, 4.7 to 4.8 etc, etc, etc!)  It's SO painful to re-add all my customizations manually that this is the biggest single reason I have for NOT upgrading! 

Not to mention, I lose all my Category customizations, too!!  Hmm...that brings up an interesting thought.  I wonder if Category customizations are hiding in there somewhere too, just lost...

• mCasualmCasual Posts: 4,604
    edited September 2017

if you copy the dsx files to a a backupA folder

do your upgrade

then copy the new dsx files to a backupB folder

then replace the new dsxs in the %appdata%/Daz 3D/Studio 4 folder by the ones in backupA ... i would think it's safe

though there's other non-dsx files that may be involved like dazstudio.dau and layout.dse i would not play with those ... too risky

one problem is that if the new version includes new options/actions and you switch the menus back to  the old menus/workspace you would not be able to access those new options/actions

upcoming mcjBuilderA script update will include .obj files loading 

https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts3/mcjbuildera

dHandle said:

You'd think someone would have figured out by now that if I switch Workspaces, I might still want SOME of my customizations from the last one, and they would ask me if I want them included in the new Workspace.  (Choices are good!!  Default screw ups are not good.)

Jacques said "Since i use a gazillion of my scripts daily i didnt want to re-add them 1 by 1 manually.  It turns out that some mysterious event wiped out the "Scripts" menu items from Daz Studio's menus.dsx file, but they are still listed in the customactions.dsx file"

Hey!  I feel your pain!  This is what happens EVERY time I decide to upgrade to a new version of Studio.  (4.5 to 4.6, 4.6 to 4.7, 4.7 to 4.8 etc, etc, etc!)  It's SO painful to re-add all my customizations manually that this is the biggest single reason I have for NOT upgrading! 

Not to mention, I lose all my Category customizations, too!!  Hmm...that brings up an interesting thought.  I wonder if Category customizations are hiding in there somewhere too, just lost...

betheone.jpg
    656 x 1080 - 381K
    Post edited by mCasual on
  • dHandle said:

You can load workspaces selectively isntead of the whole kit-and-kaboodle, Window>Layout>Import... gives a dialogue which will let you choose which parts (Actions, Toolbars, Layout) to import.

• Tim NTim N Posts: 193

You can load workspaces selectively instead of the whole kit-and-kaboodle, Window>Layout>Import... gives a dialogue

Hi, Richard.

I'm having difficulty finding Window > Layout > Import in Daz 4.9.4. There's no Layout or Import command anywhere in the Window menu thatI can see.

I ran the Update and Merge Menus script just to be sure. Still can't find it.

Thanks in advance.

• Sorry, that should have been Window>Layout>Customise, then use the Import... button at the bottom.