What Did I Do?

staticstatic Posts: 325
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I was tweaking a new girl and I decided to run a test render to see how she was doing so far.
This is not my first render by a long shot, but I have never gotten a result like this.
It's kinda cool but I have no idea how I did it or how to repeat it.
Has this ever happened to you?
What did I do wrong?

Ghostly_Tracy.png
1440 x 1440 - 288K

Comments

• ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417
    edited December 1969

Well, without looking at your Material settings, there's no way we can tell you. But you likely had your transparency turned on (but not all the way up) by mistake.

• staticstatic Posts: 325
    edited March 2013

Well, I don't think that can be it. I didn't go into any settings between this 1st one and the 2nd one here except change the render dimensions.
    I then followed with a 3rd which was only a change from png to jpg.
    And finally this 4th where I switched back to png.

I don't recall changing anything except the size (1440 x 1440 to 900 x 900) and the extensions.

Tracy_02.png
    900 x 900 - 149K
    Tracy_02.jpg
    900 x 900 - 70K
    Tracy.png
    900 x 900 - 142K
    Ghostly_Tracy.png
    1440 x 1440 - 288K
    Post edited by static on
    edited December 1969

When you say Material Settings, I assume you are talking about the Surfaces?

• ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417
    edited December 1969

Yes, I was. If nothing changed but the render size, then it was likely nothing but an irreproducible glitch, though.

edited December 1969

Interesting glitch, though. I wish I could recreate it, or something similar to it, in some way.
    Ok, well thanks.

• SafeunderdarkSafeunderdark Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Interesting glitch, though. I wish I could recreate it, or something similar to it, in some way.
    Ok, well thanks.

Just adjust the opacity setting in your material setting, that should do the trick..

I get something like this:

Dreamer_wings.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 201K
    edited March 2013

I see, duh, no wonder that was Valandar's first thought on the matter.
    This is what happens when you don't get enough caffeine, or... too much, or...just the right amount, but no sleep... I know it's one of those... :lol:

Thanks for pointing me to the front of my nose, :-)

Now I can try doing it on purpose, instead of the 'ghost in the machine" doing it for me.

EDIT
    Amy, I went to your website. I like your stuff, but you guestbook wouldn't let me do anything, so I'm letting you know here.

Post edited by static on
  • SafeunderdarkSafeunderdark Posts: 0
    edited March 2013

I see, duh, no wonder that was Valandar's first thought on the matter.
    This is what happens when you don't get enough caffeine, or... too much, or...just the right amount, but no sleep... I know it's one of those... :lol:

Thanks for pointing me to the front of my nose, :-)

Sometimes it's staring you right in the face..
    Reload the material does reset this setting, hence the 'inability' to reproduce..
    Anyway, it looks like it was the material setting after all.

Well, I don’t think that can be it.

Next time: don't think
    Just ask Valandar, he knows ^_^

Post edited by Safeunderdark on
    edited December 1969

Sometimes it's staring you right in the face..
    Reload the material does reset this setting, hence the 'inability' to reproduce..
    Anyway, it looks like it was the material setting after all.

Well, no, it still has to be a glitch, because I just dialed her form and face, then put on the bikini for a quick "let's see what I'm working with" shot.
    I was never in her Materials, that's why it puzzled me.

When you said that's how you did yours, it was kind of an epiphany for me to try this in the future, as I have played with clothes in the past, but never thought to try on the figure itself.

But thanks for the input. You and Valandar have opened my eyes to some interesting new ideas.

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

Does your system have plenty of memory? Sometimes memory issues can cause all kinds of weird sh---stuff. :)

edited December 1969

Yep, she's old, but she's got 6 M RAM, 2 M video-RAM, she's an older dual-core, but it's never been an issue before.
    Exception: I have never been able to render a Mil Dragon 2 - always memory issues with that one, but that's the only older thing I have a problem with.
    As far as more recent items, I have only run into problems with one M5 figure, but he was loaded with mats (Skins, eye colors, beard, body hair, tattoos, you name it). As I usually don't get that involved with my projects, I wrote that one off as a future PC project (key parts are future PC, not to be confused with future project).