spaceship

12346»

Comments

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

thoromyr said:
    I think you are over estimating the work required for simple rigging. I modeled a kick wheel in Carrara a while back and rigged it.

That is entirely possible -- I've not done much at all with bones and rigging. My biggest weakness is the constraints; I just don't understand how to set them properly. One day, I'll figure it out and then wonder what I fussed about here... :-)

• edited December 1969

If you want the local stars, grab the Tycho map from Tycho Map 8192x4096

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,223
    edited December 1969

brianorca said:
    Would be really cool, if not for this:
    File:Tycho catalog skymap v2.0 threshold magnitude 4.0, high-res.png
    Jump to: navigation, search No file by this name exists.
    File usage on Commons There are no pages that link to this file.
    I was in search of a good way to do stars in my scenes and have tried most possibilities I could find via NASA's Hubble images, etc., and just didn't care for the image method - hence the creation of Starry Sky for Carrara, which I really enjoy. Not really trying to push it, by any means... I just find the result to be very realistic. And it works with other background and the realistic skies as well.
  • thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
    edited December 1969

brianorca said:
    Jump to: navigation, search No file by this name exists.
    File usage on Commons There are no pages that link to this file.
    I was in search of a good way to do stars in my scenes and have tried most possibilities I could find via NASA's Hubble images, etc., and just didn't care for the image method - hence the creation of Starry Sky for Carrara, which I really enjoy. Not really trying to push it, by any means... I just find the result to be very realistic. And it works with other background and the realistic skies as well.

Well, I have the Starry Sky and am happy with it, but if you click the link and search for tycho starmap you get it and there's a nice high resolution (I snagged the magnitude 5 one myself)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,223
    edited December 1969

Awesome... thanks! Got the Mag. 5 as well!

edited December 1969

thoromyr said:
    Well, I have the Starry Sky and am happy with it, but if you click the link and search for tycho starmap you get it and there's a nice high resolution (I snagged the magnitude 5 one myself)

Echo this! I'll have to try out the star map soon. Starry Sky in Carrara is just way too cool -- just one of those (many) things that DAZ should have had in the box!

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    thoromyr said:

Echo this! I'll have to try out the star map soon. Starry Sky in Carrara is just way too cool -- just one of those (many) things that DAZ should have had in the box!

You know I had to try it as soon as I got it. Unfortunately, I somehow triggered a bug in Carrara and it crashed :( as I'm trying to get some multi-day renders completed, Carrara is off limits for play right now.

edited December 1969

thoromyr said:
    You know I had to try it as soon as I got it. Unfortunately, I somehow triggered a bug in Carrara and it crashed :( as I'm trying to get some multi-day renders completed, Carrara is off limits for play right now.

The correct answer is, "Use one of my other three computers." :-)

Yeah, I wish...if it wasn't for my day job, I'd have my second server up and running to add even more horsepower to Carrara and LightWave. Alas, I also want to pay my mortgage.

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    thoromyr said:

The correct answer is, "Use one of my other three computers." :-)

Yeah, I wish...if it wasn't for my day job, I'd have my second server up and running to add even more horsepower to Carrara and LightWave. Alas, I also want to pay my mortgage.

that is a point... my work system is more powerful than what I have at home and I do have Carrara sorta installed on it (Wine, no products). When it isn't otherwise employed I *have* loaded a scene on to it for rendering. Unfortunately its about time to go to work and I won't have time to even think about such things today...

(besides, I managed to pay off the mortgage. now, if only kids and hobbies weren't so expensive...)

• edited April 2013

brianorca said:
    Jump to: navigation, search

No file by this name exists.
    File usage on Commons

There are no pages that link to this file.

Sorry! I didn't check the link. I remember downloading it from somewhere years ago, but I can't remember where. :-(
    Ah here we go.. not my original source but just as useful:
    paulbourke.net - Starfields

My Google-Fu must be slipping, I can't find the hi-res version of Tycho 2 I remember on Nasa's site somewhere. Or maybe they got tired of hosting the 50MB file. :-/

Edit:
    but if you click the link and search for tycho starmap you get it and there's a nice high resolution (I snagged the magnitude 5 one myself)
    Oh good you did find it!

AAAAANNNDDD..
    The original link: NASA Skymaps including one at 16384 x 8192 !!!

Post edited by briandaz_3e696c2bd8 on
    edited December 1969

brianorca said:
    I can't find the hi-res version of Tycho 2 I remember on Nasa's site somewhere. Or maybe they got tired of hosting the 50MB file. :-/

I know their budget keeps getting (tragically) cut -- but its not that bad ... yet. :P I really should check out NASA's site more often.

Another site that I have mentioned a few times is Phil Plait's Bad Astronomy. Lots of stuff there on space news and skepticism -- often with incredible pictures and a solid scientific explanation of the forces behind them.

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

Plait’s Bad Astronomy book is pretty cool. I read it a few years ago.. I did like the speech he made to the skeptical community about skeptics not being a certain thing awhile back. I avoid certain skeptic sites and podcasts because of hoe some skeptics were acting in the way Plait mentioned them not to act. Got very offended because the so called skeptics ended up insulting several people I've meet and corresponded with and so called skeptics were claim certain research papers didn't exist. (Funny I have PDF of those papers on disk that I got from a Standoford webpage and the same papers are mirrored on other sites.) Sorry for the rant.

Anyway, before I forget nice tutorial showing how to make space art with Dogwaffle. Really neat is you can see the background created in Dogwaffle used in a Carrara rendered scene and then you can see the Carrara scene after getting some work done to it in Dogwaffle.

http://www.thebest3d.com/pda/tutorials/spaceart/index.html