A few questions about Carrara 9 (yeah, that's right...LOL)

ScarletX1969ScarletX1969 Posts: 587
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

For years I have been wondering should I move totally to Carrara and leave Poser behind for just quick character setup and renders and use Carrara, Vue, and Daz3d Studio as my main applications. Carrara has always been faster than Poser in some aspects but now it's time to crap or get off the pot and I need to make an informed decision.

So, about Carrara 9 Pro (whenever it comes out)....

1. Will it finally support dynamic clothing?

2. Will there be a pipeline for EASY import of Daz3d Studio files?

3. Will Carrara, Bryce, Hexagon, and Daz3d Studio all FINALLY work together like the Adobe Suite of products?

Yeah, that about covers it. It does everything else I need. LOL!

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

dsexton72 said:
    For years I have been wondering should I move totally to Carrara and leave Poser behind for just quick character setup and renders and use Carrara, Vue, and Daz3d Studio as my main applications. Carrara has always been faster than Poser in some aspects but now it's time to crap or get off the pot and I need to make an informed decision.

3. Will Carrara, Bryce, Hexagon, and Daz3d Studio all FINALLY work together like the Adobe Suite of products?

1 - in the works
    2 - can do it now
    3 - they work together now - Adobe is for homes ;-)

• ScarletX1969ScarletX1969 Posts: 587
    edited December 1969

How so? I have to save it as a COLLADA file or something to export to Carrara from Daz3d Studio, right?

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited March 2013

bigh said:
    dsexton72 said:

1 - in the works {optimist} ;)
    2 - can do it now
    3 - they work together now - Adobe is for homes ;-)

Actually carrara and studio get along fairly well with the DUF/S file format out of Studio. But why?
    I quite using Poser at 6, no need of it after DAZ dropped transposer. I don't use studio 4 near as much as I did studio 3, but I still use it for the same reason, content tools. Studio is a great support app for carrara. But carrara stopped being fully compatible with Poser at 7.

What I am saying is I rarely need any app but carrara for using most Poser content; plus the big 3 3DS, obj, and LWO.
    The only advantage to Vue or Bryce would be the atmospherics; carrara's has always been weak.

Post edited by ManStan on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

dsexton72 said:
    How so? I have to save it as a COLLADA file or something to export to Carrara from Daz3d Studio, right?

like the man said save scene as DUF .
    open new - then import to Carrara 8.5 .

• ScarletX1969ScarletX1969 Posts: 587
    edited December 1969

Studio is a great support app for carrara. But carrara stopped being fully compatible with Poser at 7.

What I am saying is I rarely need any app but carrara for using most Poser content; plus the big 3 3DS, obj, and LWO.
    The only advantage to Vue or Bryce would be the atmospherics; carrara's has always been weak.

Hmmm, I hadn't realized this about Carrara and Poser. I'll have to look into that. I'm still able to open CR2 files in Carrara, so I'm not quite sure what that's all about. There are plenty other advantages to Vue and Bryce, depends on who's hand it's in. I see you are pretty sold on Carrara like I am. I just want Daz to continue developing it and not try to turn Daz3d Studio into Carrara Lite or use it to replace Carrara. I would like to use both apps together.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,197
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:

Yup, that's about it for me, too. One minor point, there are some nice Vue only (or Vue cheaper) models & scenes at Cornucopia3D, e.g. Peter Pohl's models and Luigi Marini's scenes. I could live without Poser & Bryce, but not without Carrara and Vue. DS is needed for a few specific scenes I like, e.g. "Forsaken for Urban Future 3", but not many.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,250
    edited December 1969

dsexton72 said:
    For years I have been wondering should I move totally to Carrara and leave Poser behind for just quick character setup and renders and use Carrara, Vue, and Daz3d Studio as my main applications.

I had similar thoughts myself. Now for quick character set-up and renders, I use Carrara.
    On very obscure occasions, I find it handy to have the rest around - otherwise everything is done within the sweet suite! Ha... like that? Sweet suite?

Still having some love for Poser and D|S, I'll pop in for a render now and again - wow. Slow...

I love the Poser walk designer and there are things that I'll do in D|S - but never to render anything.

Building scenes, even small vignettes, character initial setup, shader work and simple tweaks... That all happens in Carrara. It's rare that I find myself needing to get much from the others. The dependency of what you're now used to using disappears fairly quickly.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

dsexton72 said:
    Studio is a great support app for carrara. But carrara stopped being fully compatible with Poser at 7.

Hmmm, I hadn't realized this about Carrara and Poser. I'll have to look into that. I'm still able to open CR2 files in Carrara, so I'm not quite sure what that's all about. There are plenty other advantages to Vue and Bryce, depends on who's hand it's in. I see you are pretty sold on Carrara like I am. I just want Daz to continue developing it and not try to turn Daz3d Studio into Carrara Lite or use it to replace Carrara. I would like to use both apps together.

Actually you can add your poser runtime right to carrara's browser and work from it. cr2, pp2, hr2, well most everything but lights is carrara compatible. Shaders will need adjusting, and weird things do happen lol

edited December 1969

ManStan said:

Actually you can add your poser runtime right to carrara's browser and work from it. cr2, pp2, hr2, well most everything but lights is carrara compatible. Shaders will need adjusting, and weird things do happen lol
    ...and all of the pose files from Poser as well. Just click and bam...
    So what isn't compatible, new Poser People themselves?
    I've also been noticing a lot less of the new products I get from Daz are needing shader tweaks. I still go in and have a look around anyways. That shader room is a favorite of mine!
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Poser 8 has a new rigging system, and Poser 9 has weight-mapping.

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

With regards to question 3 and integration with Bryce. Future Bryce development is hindered because of the way Bryce was codded. Bryce would have to be redone from the ground up because of this.

DAZ is also aware of Carrara's shortcomings and I think they are working on somethings to deal with that from what I understand.

edited December 1969

Jay_NOLA said:
    With regards to question 3 and integration with Bryce. Future Bryce development is hindered because of the way Bryce was codded. Bryce would have to be redone from the ground up because of this.

DAZ is also aware of Carrara's shortcomings and I think they are working on somethings to deal with that from what I understand.

They have my confidence!
    Oh wait... you know that already... Sorry! ;-)
    Carrara had to be redone from the ground up to give us C8 Pro 64bit. Personally, I love the outcome. What they've achieved so far with 8.5 beta makes me really excited towards the future of any Daz3d development.
    What they've done with Daz|Studio since version 1.0, which really wasn't that long ago, is breathtaking. I really look forward to transferring my endeavors over to a new Carrara 9 folder!
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited March 2013

Jay_NOLA said:

DAZ is also aware of Carrara's shortcomings and I think they are working on somethings to deal with that from what I understand

Bryce intergrates quite happily with Daz Studio, so the problem is not what you are saying here. Bryce is very unique code, agreed, but there is no question of recoding it, as then it would no longer be Bryce as it is the unique Bryce coding that makes it do what it does do.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Jay_NOLA said:

DAZ is also aware of Carrara's shortcomings and I think they are working on somethings to deal with that from what I understand

Bryce intergrates quite happily with Daz Studio, so the problem is not what you are saying here. Bryce is very unique code, agreed, but there is no question of recoding it, as then it would no longer be Bryce as it is the unique Bryce coding that makes it do what it does do.

I'm thinking they Jay means the legacy code that hinders it from taking full advantage of modern processors and OSes. There's no reason aside from time and money not to recode Bryce. It's not the code that makes Bryce what it is per se, but the feature set. If the code is modernized and updated while keeping the features, how would it not be Bryce? The same goes for Carrara. If the underlying code was completely re-written from the ground up, but if the interface and core features were kept the same, the basic user would have no clue. The plugin developers on the other hand... ;-)

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

Thanks evilproducer that was what I meant. Back in January of 2012 at the Comiccon in New Orleans I got told that about the Bryce coding when I was talking t the DAZ reps and was told about the code problem and development.