Main DAZ 3D Library Question (unsure where to post this)

edited December 1969 in New Users

When I first installed DAZ 4 I honestly I had ZERO intention of ever upgrading to Genesis and so the vast bulk of my items were in Poser libraries outside of this main library on another drive located on my machine. Unfortunately with the way that my laptop is set up & the way the DAZ installer & the Content Manager installer information led me to believe as a user, it was felt best to put the DAZ library on my main, C: drive of my PC, & DAZ as well as my Content Manager & my Poser Libraries & External Genesis Libraries are located on my D: drive. The C: drive of my PC is my OS drive though and now that Michael 5 released and lured me to the dark side (damn sexy men! lol) my main library is filling up with items that MUST be installed to the main library & making this drive run out of room and is bogging it down BADLY even when I am not running DAZ but also when running DAZ.

Is it possible to pick that entire library up and move it to one of the other drives on my laptop? If so, how would I go about doing that so that the background information like what goes into the User>AppData>Roaming folders, all of the pathing, my Content Manager, etc work right? My Content Manager was installed and there is sits... I never use it other than while inside DAZ going in and saying "Ok, I want you to start looking at THIS folder so I can use the stuff in it for a while.... ok, now forget it" then I am done. Other than that I manually set my folders up on my hard drive myself & manually tell DAZ when to look to them & when to stop from within DAZ as I need them.

Any help any of you can offer would be awesome. I have trouble with alot of the technical terms because I really do not read alot on the forums and I am not overly familiar with alot of the terminology even after all of this time so I will try to keep further questions to a minimum but have to warn just in case I have some "huh??" moments. :red: And for that matter, I really hope the above makes complete sense =P

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Are these items that were all installed using Install Manager? If so, the easiest way would be to uninstall with Install Manager and reinstall them to the new location. That way the content database locations will be correct.

If not, Adamr001 has a tutorial on migrating to a new computer which explains how to correct the content database to use the new location here: http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=179107
    start here to just change paths:
    http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=3198550#3198550

(If you don't use Smart Content, Products, or Categories and just use the "DAZ Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats" in Content Library, then you can just move the content and change the paths in Content Directory Manager and not worry about the database.)

• edited December 1969

Sorry, i forgot to mention how I install doh! No, I do not use that install manager. And while I now have forced smart content with all of the newer stuff having it lumped in with all of the files and not in separate installers anymore, I do not give a hoot about them.

Thank you for the links; this is great news that I can migrate stuff; it has been becoming worrisome watching the capacity drop like it has and for a laptop, this machine has some insane storage.

Right now I use actual hardware external hard drives to store copies of content that I am not using such as Holiday content, or other themed items that I might have gotten for free during holidays or picked up for sale really cheap and thought it would be useful but do not want to keep it on here at all times... If I were to get another external hard drive and migrate say my extra poser libraries to it, or my external Genesis libraries to it, could I connect it to my computer when I am working in DAZ, point it to the external hard drive to use content from those libraries and safely do it that way instead of having massive amounts of content installed on my machine?

Just curious. Not sure how peformance would work on that and if it would affect your render times, wear out your external or cause otherwise undue stress on either item.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I have all my content (Geneisis included) on a USB Hard Drive and have done so for a number of years now. As for stressing out the USB HDD I can't say. I have had one fail on me and I lost half of my content libraraies as I was in the middle of organising so now I have two USB HDD. One is a 3.5" and is always connected to the machine. The other is a 2.5" HDD that needs no extra powersource to run as they are made for Laptops and use the USB power supply and I use it as a back up drive. Everytime I download content and install I make a backup.

This is how I do my content http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/11176/#160909

• edited December 1969

Awesome. Thanks for sharing the information and vouch for being able to using that method; even being able to run it partially would be a tremendous help. =)

edited December 1969

I should have added that yes it does work but if you have room and the money opt for an extra internal HDD for your content and use a USB HDD for backups. This will be my route in the future.

Also I was going to add but forgot is that with the system I have now enabled me to hook my content to 2 other machines in the last few months. I just installed DS4.5 and DS3 and set up the directories and I was up and running in no time. I don't worry about Smart content and catagoires the way I install stuff.

• edited December 1969

That sounds awesome; I want so badly to be able to run my old copy of 3 Advanced but right now no room to run the old laptop next to this new laptop. Would be nice if I could get a really good monitor to hook them both up to and use one for each & I run Poser Pro 2012 here on same one as my D|S 4.5 too. I prefer not to mess with that smart content myself. I wish there was a way to opt out of that now that it is getting included in with all of the content no matter what; maybe I am just overlooking something, or maybe it is just a matter of taking that smart contact tab off my interface LOL.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

You can just close that tab and not worry about it.

edited December 1969

Lady Bree said:
    maybe I am just overlooking something, or maybe it is just a matter of taking that smart contact tab off my interface LOL.
    That is exactly what you can do as mike said above just close the Smart Content Pane and not worry about it. :)

You can add and close panes at your whim and when you have the layout you wnat you can go to the top menu bar Windows > WorkSpace > Save Workspace and give it a name and save it. Also Save the Style just to make sure same process as Workspace. If you mess up and want it back the way you had it looking just go to Window > Workspace and select your saved layout. Same with Style.