About saving files for redistribution?

patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

I've been making a few things with D/S4.x but shy away from sharing because when i check files i find "some" tend to save everything including the kitchen sink and that's not what i wish to do obviously.

Now, if I load a .pp2 [my own] and rig/convert that to a 'save as' support asset .dsf or .duf .... which will "follow' Genesis ... is that also saving every ___ morph that i have installed in the relevant program or no.

I have downloaded the occasional free item that others have made and whether backwards going forwards, or forwards going backwards, now manage to get duplicate ID messages [which I just ignore] ... and sometimes references to morphs I don't own. Now somehow the mind just freaks abit as to ... what exactly is it all that we are sharing? After loading somebody else's work, if i then create something to share and it also is going to pick up references to "I don't know what" ... well, eventually we're all going to have a lot of garbage in our Libraries. I don't wish to do that to people.

So, if I create .pp2 [for the D/S3 and Poser 7 users] and then from that [without intentionally adding morphs], just rig/save as support files for D/S4.0 and D/S4.5 ... are those for sure going to be "clean files"????

Thank you.

Comments

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

If I understand your question, the way that you get a "dirty" file is by conforming to Genesis, dialing in a morph, and then saving to library again. The way to keep files clean is never to save back to library after you've dialed in a Genesis morph, and always add other morphs without FBMs dialed in. If you need to test them with FBMs on, do it after reloading from library.

That shouldn't be an issue with props, though - even if it's a .duf, a smartpropped unrigged item will not pick up generated morphs.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

If I understand your question, the way that you get a "dirty" file is by conforming to Genesis, dialing in a morph, and then saving to library again. The way to keep files clean is never to save back to library after you've dialed in a Genesis morph, and always add other morphs without FBMs dialed in. If you need to test them with FBMs on, do it after reloading from library.

That shouldn't be an issue with props, though - even if it's a .duf, a smartpropped unrigged item will not pick up generated morphs.

Okay thank you. Yes i think you understood my question. The last item I made is a 'hair' piece which I rigged so it'll follow Genesis and fit it even if it's a Gorilla! [mind you the item doesn't look that great on a gorilla but then ...] So I'll remake the item, not dialing up any morphs at all, and then save it to file.