Released : Easy Modeling and Morphing with Blender [Commercial]

V3DigitimesV3Digitimes Posts: 3,049
edited September 2017 in Daz PA Commercial Products

The purpose of Easy Modeling And Morphing With Blender is to turn any complete 3D beginner into someone who will be able to easily create and even texture his own models, and also to easily create morphs and modifications for already existing Daz Studio - or other - models, all this using in the free 3D application : Blender.

Find it here : https://www.daz3d.com/easy-modeling-and-morphing-with-blender

In order to provide the most efficient learning curve for everybody, the tutorial comes in two versions, a paper (pdf) version, and a set of height video files. The paper version includes a summary which is completely both bookmarked and linked to the pages of the document. For the videos, a detailed table of content is included in the product, so that when you search for an information, you can find it in the blink of an eye the exact video and the exact time code for it.

Too often, people give up using Blender because they find it difficult to learn, probably because Blender can do so many things : modeling, texturing, rendering, animation, physics, particles, game engine... I learnt Blender alone seven years ago, and I use it today to create all my content, and I can tell you this is a very easy to use and efficient 3D modeling software.

In this tutorial not only I share what I learnt, but I also guide you precisely into the process of learning Blender in a methodic way, so that you progressively understand the key bases of this software, always focusing on what you need to create models and morphs for Daz Studio.

You will learn step by step how to customize and move in the interface, to move in the 3D View, to select objects and parts of mesh, to add or removes objects or parts of mesh, to edit and transform objects and selections in the meshes. Knowing all that, two examples of modeling of basic objects, and two examples of morphing figures will allow you both to use once again all you learnt, but also to introduce some new elements, such as UV editing and texture painting. Of course the tutorial explains the import/export settings between Daz Studio and Blender, and how to save properly in Daz Studio the content created, prop or morph, for later use or for content sharing/selling.

You may simply want to complete a scene with an object which you cannot find on the market, or maybe create a unique character of your own by developing the morph you imagine for him or her. You may eventually want to adjust some outfits either in order to remove poke through or to provide to them an unequaled touch or realism. You may also like to go from simple 3D hobbyist to professional 3D content creator. Whatever the case you are in, you will find the all keys you need to reach your goal in these tutorials. 

Any questions, feedback, remarks, please ask them here or via PM, the way you prefer!

Post edited by V3Digitimes on

Comments

• This sounds great, count me in.

• I would love to see this!

• Thanks to both of you! This is released today!

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,142

I may be very interested in this, but have a couple of questions:

1 - Which version of Blender are you using in the videos?

2 - Do the videos have speech explaining what you are doing or only pop-up text?

I was especially pleased to see you included the pdf version - it will be nice to have a written reference to use after watching the videos.

• V3DigitimesV3Digitimes Posts: 3,049
    edited September 2017

1. I use the latest version of Blender which was on that time the 2.78 if I remember well.

2. The videos have the speech, and some additional stickers with comments and in blender I activated a tool to display the keys I use and mouse buttons I use too.

I made the paper version first because first some people prefer the paper version and then because it forced me too have something very clear and organized. Then in a second time I made all the videos. The  videos come with a pdf file which gives you the time code of the content of them so that when you come back on it later on, you know where to find it.

Sorry my first answer was short I was in the bus it was not easy :)

Post edited by V3Digitimes on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,142
    Great! Thank you very much. Now I am very interested and it should be in my Cart by the end of today - just trying to decide what other product(s) should join it there...
  •  

MelanieL said:
    Great! Thank you very much. Now I am very interested and it should be in my Cart by the end of today - just trying to decide what other product(s) should join it there...

Lol and don't forget you can ask questions here or via PM too. Thanks!

• I seldom comment here in the forums, partly because I haven't had any of the software installed in a year and have no time, but I just have to say that this is the ONE thing I've needed to get me back in the game!

I'm old school, (because I'm old), and I prefer textbooks, but videos are cool, too. You've provided both in effect!! Thank you so much! I just bought it, downloaded the first (huge) section, and am ready to go!

• Thank you so much for the release!  So far I am very impressed!  Very easy to understand and covers exactly what you need to know to get working quickly in Blender.

• Kenkoy said:

I seldom comment here in the forums, partly because I haven't had any of the software installed in a year and have no time, but I just have to say that this is the ONE thing I've needed to get me back in the game!

I'm old school, (because I'm old), and I prefer textbooks, but videos are cool, too. You've provided both in effect!! Thank you so much! I just bought it, downloaded the first (huge) section, and am ready to go!

Hello Kenkoy! Thanks for your very nice comment. I'm happy if I could help you get back in the game!!!

Well I decided to make both paper and video files because I saw some people asked for paper versions too. But to be totally honest, this was really time consuming, and I don't know if, when I make other tutorials, I will do the same or not. Maybe I have to imagine a sort of compromise, where the paper version is lighter but contains the essential only, and the video show the details. But I'm not sure I'll make around 140 pages of paper documentation in the short time!!

Thank you so much for the release!  So far I am very impressed!  Very easy to understand and covers exactly what you need to know to get working quickly in Blender.

Hello Siciliano! What you say here warms my heart! Thanks for that :) I planned and took a lot of time on the paper (then video) documentation to make things as much simple, clear and step by step as possible. So when I here that I reached my goal with you, I am simply happy!

• This looks really really useful.  I too appreciate both the pdf and the video portions.

• Thanks IceDragonArt! I knew the pdf would be appreciated, what I did not know is how long it would be to write it!! ;)

• ArtisanSArtisanS Posts: 209
    edited September 2017

Personally I use Blender on a daily basis and Blender isn't a knee deep program, it up to your neck.....but that is no problem. If you spend some time learning modelling and learning Blender (and I guess courses like this can help a lot) I know of no program that is as versatile and so productive as Blender. Blender can suit every modeller and can adapt to any modelling style I know. And when Blender falls short there are always add-on's (free and payed once) that can give it the twist you need.

Greets.....and keep up the good work and spread the word.....

Post edited by ArtisanS on
  • ArtisanS said:

Personally I use Blender on a daily basis and Blender isn't a knee deep program, it up to your neck.....but that is no problem. If you spend some time learning modelling and learning Blender (and I guess courses like this can help a lot) I know of no program that is as versatile and so productive as Blender. Blender can suit every modeller and can adapt to any modelling style I know. And when Blender falls short there are always add-on's (free and payed once) that can give it the twist you need.

Greets.....and keep up the good work and spread the word.....

Hi ArtisanS! Thanks for these nice words. I'm also a fan of Blender. A while ago, I considered buying a more "professional" software. So I tried a few of them, some being veeeery expensive.... And I came back to Blender, it is really an excellent software, with, as you said, a tons of possibilities and a lot of free addons...

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,928
    edited September 2017

1. I use the latest version of Blender which was on that time the 2.78 if I remember well.

2. The videos have the speech, and some additional stickers with comments and in blender I activated a tool to display the keys I use and mouse buttons I use too.

I made the paper version first because first some people prefer the paper version and then because it forced me too have something very clear and organized. Then in a second time I made all the videos. The  videos come with a pdf file which gives you the time code of the content of them so that when you come back on it later on, you know where to find it.

This is what sold me on this, as too many video-tuts are endless rambling/getting lost in the minutiae of details instead of actually taking the time to teach you how to use it! It usually ends up being a useless drawn-out slog through endless commentary and real-time fumbling around with redundant demonstrations and test renders! 

Wish-listed for now, as I need to save up for a thread-ripper build!

Post edited by takezo_3001 on
  • 1. I use the latest version of Blender which was on that time the 2.78 if I remember well.

This is what sold me on this, as too many video-tuts are endless rambling/getting lost in the minutiae of details instead of actually taking the time to teach you how to use it! It usually ends up being a useless drawn-out slog through endless commentary and real-time fumbling around with redundant demonstrations and test renders! 

Wish-listed for now, as I need to save up for a thread-ripper build!

Thanks a lot ! I understand, September is a very hard month for the wallets ;)

• mats76mats76 Posts: 289

Finally taking my time to using this tutorial, one question though: The Flower pot image used as a reference image in part 4, where can it be found? It is easier to follow using the same image.

mats76 said:

Finally taking my time to using this tutorial, one question though: The Flower pot image used as a reference image in part 4, where can it be found? It is easier to follow using the same image.

Hello Mats! Of course, I understand it will be easier with the reference. You can find the reference here : https://www.storyblocks.com/stock-image/rustic-vases-h7jxo0tp7ubj6gtkqlc

I had bought the image elsewhere for the tutorial but it seems the original website does not exist any more. 

Thank you for your fast reply, that is much appreciated yes

mats76 said:

Thank you for your fast reply, that is much appreciated yes

You are welcome :)

edited March 2018

First I am sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.

Since I did your tutorial blender has become my every day tool so thank you, but there are two questions I did not figured out from the tutorial:

1 Triangles, should they always be avoided even in circle objects like a plate?

2 Is more than 4 vertexes ngons ok on faces or is quads with 4 vertexes the limit?

Many thanks in advance. 

Post edited by mats76 on
  • Silent WinterSilent Winter Posts: 3,635
    edited March 2018
    mats76 said:

Since I did your tutorial blender has become my every day tool so thank you, but there are two questions I did not figured out from the tutorial:

2 Is more than 4 vertexes ok on faces or is ngons with 4 vertexes the limit?

Many thanks in advance. 

Just jumping in as I know the answer  - Daz Studio can handle both Tris and Quads (but doesn't do Ngons - at least not rendering properly).  But beware of long thin polys (tris or quads), especially at edges, as they can make weird render artifacts pop up.  In general, nice square quads are best, but you can use triangles too if needed.

Post edited by Silent Winter on
    edited March 2018
    mats76 said:

2 Is more than 4 vertexes ok on faces or is ngons with 4 vertexes the limit?

Many thanks in advance. 

Just jumping in as I know the answer  - Daz Studio can handle both Tris and Quads (but doesn't do Ngons - at least not rendering properly).  But beware of long thin polys (tris or quads), especially at edges, as they can make weird render artifacts pop up.  In general, nice square quads are best, but you can use triangles too if needed.

Thank you that helps a lot, much appriciated.

I mixed up ngons and quads but edit that now so no one else get confused :)

Post edited by mats76 on

Yes that's it. If you do NGons, they will anyway be triangulated at the end, and showed as tris in DS. And of course 4 vertices is the limit.

You are not forced to do ONLY quads, but sometimes if you are using triangles, some strange artifacts can happen when you render where the tris are placed. Furthermore, using triangles prevents you from having clean loops or rings to select, making mesh edition much less comfortable. But if it is just for a plate, and that you check that tris are fine for the renders you make (i.e. do not generate weird render artifacts), then you can use tris of course. In general I tend to make quads as much as I can (even for plates), because I edit a lot my meshes.

Yes that's it. If you do NGons, they will anyway be triangulated at the end, and showed as tris in DS. And of course 4 vertices is the limit.

You are not forced to do ONLY quads, but sometimes if you are using triangles, some strange artifacts can happen when you render where the tris are placed. Furthermore, using triangles prevents you from having clean loops or rings to select, making mesh edition much less comfortable. But if it is just for a plate, and that you check that tris are fine for the renders you make (i.e. do not generate weird render artifacts), then you can use tris of course. In general I tend to make quads as much as I can (even for plates), because I edit a lot my meshes.

Thank you for you thorough awnser, i prefer neat so quads it will be :)

I hope you will make an advanced tutorial for blender as an follow up to this one, I will be the first to put it in my cart.

Many thanks

Mats

• Jack238Jack238 Posts: 117

Hi, 

I just wanted to say thank you for this tutorial. I find I am going back and forth between the videos and the PDF. For me, that is the best way I learn. I have tried to learn Blender in the past and discovered that I quickly forgot how to do things in Blender. That is not the case for me with this Blender tutorial. I am actually accomplishing things. You have a great way of building on what you have already presented. 

I like how you present it in a way that is pertinent to us DAZ users. I think that is something missing from other tutorials I have tried. Once again, thanks so much.

Jack

mats76 said:

Thank you for you thorough awnser, i prefer neat so quads it will be :)

I hope you will make an advanced tutorial for blender as an follow up to this one, I will be the first to put it in my cart.

Many thanks

Mats

Hi Mats, I will probably make other Blender Tutorials, but maybe not immediately. I lack of time to do everything I feel like to do... Like a lot of people. 

Jack238 said:

Hi, 

I just wanted to say thank you for this tutorial. I find I am going back and forth between the videos and the PDF. For me, that is the best way I learn. I have tried to learn Blender in the past and discovered that I quickly forgot how to do things in Blender. That is not the case for me with this Blender tutorial. I am actually accomplishing things. You have a great way of building on what you have already presented. 

I like how you present it in a way that is pertinent to us DAZ users. I think that is something missing from other tutorials I have tried. Once again, thanks so much.

Jack

Thanks a lot Jack, this is very nice from you. I learned Blender alone and once I got used to it, I realised that it was finally really easy to use and wondered why there was no tutorial so that more Daz users could use Blender to. So I finally created something that the wide majority of Daz users could use either to morph their figures or outfits, our to create their own props when they cannot find or afford them. So I'm really happy with your feedback. And I'm also happy for Blender because this is not only an easy 3D modeller, but also an excellent one!

• nowefgnowefg Posts: 557

As people are often saying here, for me, too, the Blender Tutorial is excellent, and I now use Blender in almost every DS session. That's something I always wanted to know how to do, but couldn't seem to get Blender figured out, Now, using the V3Digitimes tutorial, it's becoming second nature to make changes to geometry to suit whatever I want.

One question: in modifying very small props in Blender, when I scroll in to see the vertices more clearly, the image often goes off screen to the front. That is, the forward part of the geometry disappears. I've been wondering how to get those smaller props to remain visible, so I can select particular vertices.

Right now, I follow the tutorial workflow exactly, and it works every time, so I've been hesitant to change the suggested settings or whatever it would take to scale things up temporarily.

Any suggestions?

nowefg said:

As people are often saying here, for me, too, the Blender Tutorial is excellent, and I now use Blender in almost every DS session. That's something I always wanted to know how to do, but couldn't seem to get Blender figured out, Now, using the V3Digitimes tutorial, it's becoming second nature to make changes to geometry to suit whatever I want.

One question: in modifying very small props in Blender, when I scroll in to see the vertices more clearly, the image often goes off screen to the front. That is, the forward part of the geometry disappears. I've been wondering how to get those smaller props to remain visible, so I can select particular vertices.

Right now, I follow the tutorial workflow exactly, and it works every time, so I've been hesitant to change the suggested settings or whatever it would take to scale things up temporarily.

Any suggestions?

Hello and thanks for this very nice feedback. Now for youe question. If you have an issue due to the size of an object here is what I generally do : I scale it with a factor 100. If necessary I do it once again. Then I work on it. When this is done either I scale it down with a factor 100 or I keep it this size and I include the change in scale when I reimporte in DS. Let me know if it solved your issue or not. I am not home during a few days and I cannot test it right now...