How to get more exposure

Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
edited December 1969 in The Commons

So does anyone have any good suggestions on places to post your 3D art to get more exposure. I have my own website and have been posting at deviant, renderosity, sharecg, runtimedna, flickr, google+, facebook, twitter, tumblr...

I never seem to get many views. Any suggestions? What works for you?

Thanks.

Comments

• Gloomy007Gloomy007 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

You have avery nice gallery. One thing I learned in the years, socializing with the crowd will give you more views. fe on renderosity, browsing galleries and commenting on others works. On DA, this is a very strange. since they change site I do not browse galleries there anymore. The only swubmission I look at are the ones of the groups I am in. There is plenty nice groups, where you can submit the work to be displayed there. Do not have to be social, but your work will reach a lot more people.
    For facebook, you can tag stores in the render, so itc an be also seen by more people (I do not post mine on facebook :) )

And if you want to know how it worrks for me, feel free to visit:
    http://gloomy007.deviantart.com/
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=456788

• ServantServant Posts: 758
    edited December 1969

Join a group like Dazaholics, Poser fans, and the like. Then submit your stuff to their galleries (which usually requires approval). This lets your work be more visible. Premium membership is also key if you can spare the cash and views are important enough.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Posting to some of the groups on dA does help. But the real solution is to just not care. :) Render things because they interest you and are pleasing to you, not because you are after the ever elusive 'views'. Unless you get featured by dA as a daily deviation, reality is you will likely never get many views there. The folks with large follower bases at dA have been at it for YEARS most of the time.

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited December 1969

Nudity.

edited December 1969

Nudity.

LOL.. sad, but true..

Also agree with cwichura.. Views are half as important as enjoying what you doing :D

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Nudity.

Even that doesn't necessarily help. There is simply so much stuff posted to dA that it's easy for your stuff to be lost in the sea. Especially when your post shows up in the middle of a barfload of crap that someone just posted thirty nearly identical renders of with no lighting or any other redeeming qualities... That's one of the reasons to submit to some of the groups on dA; groups curate submissions so you'll never be subject to being lost in a barfload in their galleries.
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,477
    edited December 1969

Contests can help get you noticed, though the competition can be fierce.

Someone posted this link to a deviant art competition. It probably comes down to, "Does your art work capture people's interest?"

http://ayame-kenoshi.deviantart.com/journal/Tomb-Raider-Reborn-Semi-Finalists-360303299?utm_source=elnino&utm_medium=messagecenter&utm;_campaign=

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,610
    edited March 2013

cwichura said:
    Posting to some of the groups on dA does help. But the real solution is to just not care. :) Render things because they interest you and are pleasing to you, not because you are after the ever elusive 'views'. Unless you get featured by dA as a daily deviation, reality is you will likely never get many views there. The folks with large follower bases at dA have been at it for YEARS most of the time.

Totally agreed. i see lots of images that get tons of responses at many sites, but it is mostly fan based accolades and nothing more. I look at lots of galleries, but only comment if i am asked for critique and can offer some or if i am moved by the image in some way. I have had a few fellow artist friends ask me about how few comments i get at DA vs the quality of some of my work and to be honest, while i like to get comments, it is not the goal for me posting my work.

Besides, with as many places that your post images, when would you have time to post anywhere else, LOL.

If you want exposure for more than views sake, then groups and contests will help

BTW just checked out your DA gallery, nice work. You have a knack for dramatic camera angles. i liked "Drained", great concept.

Post edited by FSMCDesigns on
  • icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Don't be surprised to find your work ending up on another site. Watermarks don't really help as there at least 3 apps I can think of that are designed to remove watermarks.

Maybe they will give your credit as the artist but probably not. Another favorite of the sites is to add sparkles and what not to your original and claim it is their work because the changed it.

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited March 2013

Thanks to all who have shared. I guess I just want to get my stuff out there in any way possible. My art, my music, my videos. I just want to share anything I can before my time is up. Contribute in some way because you just never know how long you have.

I definitely am not saying that I just want views, because even 1 good critique/comment can mean 1000 times more than hundreds of views. And each critique helps you grow as an artist.

I did start entering contests this last month which was really fun and inspiring to see so many talented people's work. I recently had one of my images picked as the "Pic of the Week" over at DreamSlayer which absolutely made my day because I didn't enter a competition for it I was just trying to setup a gallery over there. So that means more than whether or not the image got 1000 views.

I totally get how Nudity and P*rnographic imagery seems to be at the top of the list for viewing, but I guess I don't have a lot of confidence yet in lighting nude women right! Sexy is difficult to pull of! lol

I will definitely look into more of these groups and look forward to checking out everyone's work that has commented here.

Thanks!

Post edited by Geminii23 on
    edited December 1969

BTW just checked out your DA gallery, nice work. You have a knack for dramatic camera angles. i liked "Drained", great concept.

Thank you for the feedback! You do some really beautiful work as well!

• FuselingFuseling Posts: 243
    edited December 1969

Another tip I got from a friend of mine who works in marketing: if you want to boost views to your pages from search engines and your overall visibility on the web, you need to post some kind of update at least once per week. One of the things that goes into their equations for determining what shows up in search results is the frequency with which a page is updated.

Another thing search engines look for (according to my friend) is incoming links from other sites, so you could try putting a link to your deviantart or other artistic pages in your signatures so every time you comment in a forum, people who are interested have a chance to look at your work.

I started trying to do this with my deviantart, and it does seem to help.

• FuselingFuseling Posts: 243
    edited December 1969

Oops, silly me! You've already got a link in your sig. Sorry. :)

edited December 1969

Yeah, marketing is everything I suppose. I need to start blogging on my own websites more and do better with SEO too.

edited December 1969

Thank you very much for comments, on my works Gemini :)

I am myself most found on DA, but latest go there less and less, since there is far to many people uploading not only very untasteful images, but also the treat it like hosting site, putting there whatever they find on internet,, games screenshot and other things. on DA groups is the way to go :)

edited December 1969

Krissy said:

I am myself most found on DA, but latest go there less and less, since there is far to many people uploading not only very untasteful images, but also the treat it like hosting site, putting there whatever they find on internet,, games screenshot and other things. on DA groups is the way to go :)

I submitted a request to join so hopefully I will be accepted over there. ;-)

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

Nudity.

WHERE..Uh, I mean...yeah...

edited December 1969

Geminii23 said:
    Krissy said:

I submitted a request to join so hopefully I will be accepted over there. ;-)

Sometime one group is enough. When i started with the "groups"I started with one or two (btw dazcreativecontests.deviantart.com/ very nice group, with awesome people and lot of fun :D) and than started to ge invitations to other groups. I still do not think I'm popular, but instead of looking at views, comments, favorites and other stuff I just enjoy rendering, and post my renders anyway. If people take time and efford to see them, and coment it's really nice ofthem and I appericiate it. But it didnt bother me if I will have 50 ir 150 views :)

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Oh, missed this thread earlier...

People like comfort zones, and they love pigeonholing everything including art and artists. If you want to be popular, you have to fit one or more pigeonhole... you don't and you'll get overlooked irrespective of talent alone because not fitting the pigeonholes makes people feel uncomfortable. They're mostly not being malicious when they do it, it's just human nature to seek comfort zones. (Obviously there are exceptions to this, but they are in reality pretty few and far between.)

deviantART groups are a practical example of the aforementioned pigeonholes, so if you find groups that suit what you do, get right in there!

Sex does indeed sell, but sexy sells better if you want to be considered a mainstream artist. Explicit art also puts you in a corner that can be virtually impossible to break out of: imagine it a bit like adult movie stars trying to break into Hollywood. Sexy sells better in the long run if you don't want to burn bridges to mainstream commercial opportunity. (the usual caveat of there being a small number of exceptions etc etc etc)

Nowadays, I do what I want to do in my art, which sometimes includes crossing the line between mainstream sexy and explicit "filth" - it almost certainly limits my options but equally I'm personally satisfied with my output, as I do it mostly for personal satisfaction rather than a calculated commercial endeavor. Don't get me wrong, I'll gladly accept work/commissions, but that would be an added bonus rather than my main goal.

While successful exposure can generate interest (and sometimes income too), if the subject being exposed is ordinary, then the effort in getting the exposure could potentially be an inefficent use of energy.

When I started trying digital art, I used to try so hard to please the groups I joined that I would end up stifling my original idea so I would be accepted e.g. not doing much post-work on renders because this is "taboo" - but I wasn't happy, and yet to do stuff I was happy with was the very reason I started in the first place.

So in the past year I've started doing a lot more of what I want to do rather than trying to second-guess what I think other people want to see. It's a slow process, but I'm finally starting to see my own style develop. I'll still share on groups but I'm starting to submit less and less and concentrate more on improving. Who knows, maybe I'll blossom into a butterfly, but don't be too surprised if I turn out to be just another dull moth, LOL.

Of course, if it's cold hard cash you're looking for, ignore all that and ask the guys with the money what they're looking for, adapt accordingly and then go on an exposure drive with the type of stuff they're looking for. That said, people often don't know what they're looking for until they see it, so there's nothing to lose by putting yourself out there.