How Hard Is It To Put A Readme File On A Product Page

JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I have so much content that its hard to find everything, When I have a product I can't find from Renderosity, RDNA, the other site that starts with Rendo, Content Paradise I can revisit the product page and download the freaking readme file. Why can't daz do the Same. It seems like a reasonable request right. Why is it that after years of site updates its the one freaking thing that the site truly needs that it does not have. It pisses me off!

Comments

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

I cannot disagree... :) The readme, IMHO, is a very important thing... if it's concise enough, it'll make a or break a product.

• drinkingbuddydrinkingbuddy Posts: 350
    edited December 1969

I think some of my most recent purchases don't come with readme files. I could be just imagining that though.

In any event, yeah - I agree. Readmes, promo credits, and (updated) template links would be great. Just my two cents.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

I know R.com has huge restrictions on links in Readmes... dunno about anyone else...

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

There's a link to the readme in the DIM though not all readme files are finished yet. And, of course, you have to have already purchased the item.

Even better, if you've installed with DIM, you can right-click on the filename and get a list of the items installed and where they were installed AND a direct link to the folder.

• JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited December 1969

I don't like the DIM

edited December 1969

I don't like the DIM

I prefer organizing myself rather than through the CMS, but the program itself is an example of excellence in design and execution. I'm really impressed with it.

That said, I agree that readme files should be accessible in other ways as well though I've never found them useful for finding anything since I used to re-organize each item after installation into a temp folder so the readme would be useless anyway.

(I haven't re-organized anything lately because I haven't, even after all these weeks, made the final decision as to how to treat all my DAZ content--I'm giving the CMS a chance for now but leaning toward throwing up my hands.)

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,491
    edited December 1969

TOTALLY agree. I can never find the readme, tis a mess!!! I used to save them all, now a lot of things link to a non existent page. i hate it!!!
    Also the whole lack of sale dates.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,732
    edited December 1969

Don't know if this can help, it gives easy access to all DAZ product pages and DOCs. Left-click to view product page, right-click to view DOC page.

http://taosoft.dk/software/prbr-daz/

• JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited December 1969

that actually looks interesting

thanks for the link

• Jeanne MJeanne M Posts: 652
    edited December 1969

Taozen said:
    Don't know if this can help, it gives easy access to all DAZ product pages and DOCs. Left-click to view product page, right-click to view DOC page.

Great! Thank you so much. I just downloaded it and will try tomorrow, too tired right now, just after midnight here already :)

Love, Jeanne

edited December 1969

Holy Cow, Taozen, this looks wonderful! I've got so many products in DIM that I haven't a clue what they are or who they're for and therefor don't know where I should install them. I'm tired of firing up the browser. going to DAZ, and hoping search will find the product. This is a godsend!

• Blaine91555Blaine91555 Posts: 148
    edited December 1969

Taozen said:

Thanks so much!

• Blaine91555Blaine91555 Posts: 148
    edited December 1969

This is getting common, not just here but throughout the software and assets industries it seems to me.

In my opinion, any asset, software or plugin that does not have complete documentation is being sold while still in Beta. It's just as important as any other feature. It should be high priority.

I think that answering questions constantly probably takes more time than creating the documentation would in the first place. The product should not be offered at all until the doc's are up to snuff.

Rant off ;-)

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

Spit said:

Even better, if you've installed with DIM, you can right-click on the filename and get a list of the items installed and where they were installed AND a direct link to the folder.

now THAT i didn't know! Brilliant, Spit, thanks for telling us!! I'd been so frustrated by a lot of the readme's not being complete!

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

This is getting common, not just here but throughout the software and assets industries it seems to me.

In my opinion, any asset, software or plugin that does not have complete documentation is being sold while still in Beta. It's just as important as any other feature. It should be high priority.

I think that answering questions constantly probably takes more time than creating the documentation would in the first place. The product should not be offered at all until the doc's are up to snuff.

Rant off ;-)

Actually, no, it doesn't, because documentation is being done by the parent company (if you're talking about the program itself) and all the questions are being answered by the community (which works for free). This is exactly why crowdsourcing documentation is so common and why it will never go away as long as there is an internet.

I would really like to see individual readmes linked from their product pages, though. I'm happy to do docs for my own things, and I think most merchants are; and it would cut down the number of frivolous PMs we have to answer about basic stuff that's covered in the readme. There's always the RTFM customer, but I get a fair number of questions or requests from polite and intelligent folks who are just confused.