Mobility Equipment: can we NOT with insulting disabled people?!

I was thrilled to see the new product Mobility Equipment for Genesis 2, 3 and 8 Males(s) and Female(s)... until I read the description.

These are the props that no one would like to use but unfortunately they become necessary when you have any kind of mobility difficulty due to a broken bone or old age.

Really? REALLY?! Equating disability with tragedy? I'm pretty blasted sure I'm not the only disabled person on this board, and I can say with confidence that most of us don't want our situations to be viewed as "unfortunate."

I'm not asking for the product to be taken down--not by a long shot! I really like the inclusion of elbow crutches (the typical type of crutch can damage nerves in your arms if used long-term) and the wheelchair that's clearly meant for an active lifestyle, not just transportation within an institution. But I'd love to see the description changed to something that doesn't encourage pity.

Comments

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

As another person with multiple, long term disabilities, including mobility and vision, I read the product description differently. I see no harm in the words. Whoever wrote the description kept it short and simple, presumably to let the pictures sell the product. After many decades living with disability and pain, I know that most people don't understand what a disabled person goes through, and I hope they never experience anything like that. Sometimes I get insulted for being disabled, other times people help me. Whatever, I just let it slide, and get on with life.

Live and let live.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

Sometimes the product copy is written by someone who doesn't speak English as a first language. 

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

The reason these feeling occure (at least in myself and in my opinion) is seeing someone who is dissabled or injured reminds me of the things I take for granted daily and forget to be grateful for because anything can happen at any time to take that away.

Trust me, my family has had it's share of dissabilities (2 uncles who have had strokes leaving them unable to talk, see or walk well, another uncle who was in car accident left wheelchair bound with memory and speach problems, a son-in-law who is completely deaf, and a step daughter who has a learning dissability and something like 80% hearing loss) and yet, I still take things for granted.

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315

"unfortunately they become necessary when you have any kind of mobility difficulty due to a broken bone or old age."

I am disabled due to broken bone and old age.
    It is, indeed, unfortunate.
    And a mobility difficulty.
    I see neither insult nor pity here.
    Not offensive at all.

I will, however, accept a small amount of empathy for the constant rains here
    that keep my road a mud pit and prevent me from riding my motorcycle.
    If the bike ever falls to the left I'm toast.
    And mounting a cane on a bike so that access is easy is difficult.

• Many people have mobility problems due to illness, acident, war, birth defect.  I remember when WWII ended men who had lost arms or legs hid it under long sleeve shirts or baggy pants.They acted ashamed.        Now I have a neighbor who lost a leg in Iraq and runs every day with an artifical limb that he is not ashamed of people seeing.  In fact the kids in the neighborhood think it's "cool" and admire his determination.  I look forward to seeing more mobility equipment developed for Daz Studio.  

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2017
    Petercat said:

"unfortunately they become necessary when you have any kind of mobility difficulty due to a broken bone or old age."

I am disabled due to broken bone and old age.
    It is, indeed, unfortunate.
    And a mobility difficulty.
    I see neither insult nor pity here.
    Not offensive at all.

I will, however, accept a small amount of empathy for the constant rains here
    that keep my road a mud pit and prevent me from riding my motorcycle.
    If the bike ever falls to the left I'm toast.
    And mounting a cane on a bike so that access is easy is difficult.

Well done.   My brother kept on with 2 wheels for as long as he could,  but the 2nd hip having to be replaced, and then the cruciate ligament becoming damaged meant the he had to change to the Trike, with a built in storage for his 2 canes under the back seat. All controls on the handlebars. When he passed away, after losing his battle with cancer last year, his biker friends sold the trike through an auction and the money went to Macmillan Cancer Support Charity.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123

As someone once said, the rest of us are just temporarily able-bodied.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,882

somehow I think the props everybody would like to use would not ring true either ..

• R2ArtsR2Arts Posts: 15

Really? REALLY?! Equating disability with tragedy? I'm pretty blasted sure I'm not the only disabled person on this board, and I can say with confidence that most of us don't want our situations to be viewed as "unfortunate."

I'm not asking for the product to be taken down--not by a long shot! I really like the inclusion of elbow crutches (the typical type of crutch can damage nerves in your arms if used long-term) and the wheelchair that's clearly meant for an active lifestyle, not just transportation within an institution. But I'd love to see the description changed to something that doesn't encourage pity.

Hallo. After reading your coment, I took a look at the product page. In my opinion, the text and the images sugest that the product was designed thinking of accidents and injury. which is very unfortunate. I have been living with health problems for 15 years now, and I dont think less of myself because of that. I am the same modest, incredible and fantastic self that I have always been. But it is very unfortunate that I am in this situation.

• ZyloxZylox Posts: 787
    R2Arts said:

Hallo. After reading your coment, I took a look at the product page. In my opinion, the text and the images sugest that the product was designed thinking of accidents and injury. which is very unfortunate. I have been living with health problems for 15 years now, and I dont think less of myself because of that. I am the same modest, incredible and fantastic self that I have always been. But it is very unfortunate that I am in this situation.

Very well said. Personally, I think it is unfortunate that I am disabled, but it doesn't make me less of a person. Of course everyone deals with their disability differently, so there is nothing wrong with the OP's opinion, except for assuming the rest of us share it. After looking at the product, I am impressed that the PA made the canes with that shape of handle. It is designed to be easier on the hands of people with arthritis and is the style I use. I have wishlisted the product. One thing I would like to see someday is a walker with wheels and hand brakes.

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315

The kid (mid-20s) across the street from me fell out of the bucket while trimming trees.
    Broke his back, paralyzed from the waist down. Wife left him, lives with his father,
    lots of things he can't do. Just basic things like personal hygiene are difficult. He doesn't
    it get him down, or use it as an excuse to stop living. I see him in his mobility scooter,
    working out with the outdoor weight set, just doing things.
    If I ever let myself start with the self-pity about my knee, I'd have to move far away
    from the kid who reminds me every time I see him, how a real man deals with adversity.

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300
    edited November 2017

I was thrilled to see the new product Mobility Equipment for Genesis 2, 3 and 8 Males(s) and Female(s)... until I read the description.

These are the props that no one would like to use but unfortunately they become necessary when you have any kind of mobility difficulty due to a broken bone or old age.

Disability is tragic. It's not an insult, it's not demeaning, it does not reduce a person's inate worth, but it is tragic, perhaps more or perhaps less. There are lots of things in life that are tragic (check the dictionary if you don't believe me), that's just how life is. The person who made some props relating to helping people deal with disabilities was clearly not intending any insult.

Disabilities, whether caused by accident, violence or naturally occuring genetic variation do occur, and don't forget, what might be a disability in one situation might be an advantage in another. Since disabilities do occur, depicting them (perhaps being overcome) in renders would be a good thing, I would say.

Post edited by IsaacNewton on
  • ItsCeoItsCeo Posts: 471
    Look at the rest of the description... Of course the modern canes could also be used as accessories for different "occasions like a glamorous photo shouting or a delicate man outfit." Delicate man outfit? Yeah, I'm guessing English as a second language. You will notice there is no red-tipped cane. I am betting this was created/marketed with Dr. office or hospital scene in mind and not thinking about the term "Persons with Disabilities".