Indie Licensing rights

Hello,

I see that the Indie artists sell RLicensing Rights packs, allowing us to use their products in professional works.

I think you can use Daz Original products without any further spending, right ? So using an Artist pack would be way more risky / expensive ?

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,550

Commercial works for images and animations are allowed already in the basic EULA. Game development is what the other licenses are for. DAZ has it's own license for such use, so either way for game development you will need a development license unless you are using 2D resources only.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922

If a product has "DAZ Originals" in the list of vendor artists, no matter how many vendor artists listed besides "DAZ Originals", you need a DAZ 3D Game Development licence, either Indie or Commercial depending on the income of the organization buying the license and no other license.

If a product doesn't list "DAZ Originals" in it's list of artists that are selling a product then you need an Indie or Commercial Game Development license from each of the vendor authors listed in the product credits.

• Orpheus13Orpheus13 Posts: 274

That helps a lot, thanks. It isn't a concern right now but I'm thinking ahead. ;-)

And for 2-D use of the contents there is no need of a license, either DAZ Originals or artist ?

Well only if the 2D image is a render form of a product. eg, you can't take a 2D image of a tatoo or a decal included in some DAZ product & use it in a game.

At least not in a 3D game, but 2D renders could be used without additional fee for the following :

• Illustrations / Book covers
    • Comic books
    • 2D characters in games (Point'n'clicks for example)

Right ?

Orpheus13 said:

At least not in a 3D game, but 2D renders could be used without additional fee for the following :

• Illustrations / Book covers
    • Comic books
    • 2D characters in games (Point'n'clicks for example)

Right ?

Yes but 2D renderings they can also be used in games without a license.

You misunderstand what I mean by tatoo or decal. Say for example you bought a product that had a very nice 2D image of a tatoo and you wanted to use that image of that tatoo without rendering it - that is not allowed whether in a book, comic, or a game. Now, it's unlikely you'd want to do that but now you know you can't.

I had understood that nonesuch. :)

Thanks a lot !