3d models for plusy design

assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Art Studio

Would I be able to do that?

Making a 3d model...or like...I don't know...some random pokemon (first thing that came to mind) Would I be able to get that converted out for a plush design?

I looked up some things. EasyToy came up, but that program itself is $200. I was wondering if the Daz 3-d modeling would be able to do the same thing or not?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure what you are wanting - and a Google search for Plusy design was uninformative.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Try Plushy or Plushies sorry I can't help any more than that.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,317
    edited December 1969

"Easy Toy" is specifically designed for that purpose, and generates the patterns necessary for the manufacturing of the plush toy.

Daz3D is designed for 2d artwork and animations.

• assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

No, but what you are forgetting...Daz has a free 3d modeling program. Why do you think I even said, "Daz 3d modeling" Or are people forgetting that you can download a FREE modeling program from Daz?

edited December 1969

I'm not sure what you are wanting - and a Google search for Plusy design was uninformative.

Look up Easy Toy to see what I was saying. It claims to make "easy" 3d modeling for toy designs. You upload the image in the background, and make the shapes.

I was wondering if the 3d modeling program that Daz has could do just that.

edited December 1969

No, but what you are forgetting...Daz has a free 3d modeling program. Why do you think I even said, "Daz 3d modeling" Or are people forgetting that you can download a FREE modeling program from Daz?
    Daz Studio is not a Modelling program. Blender, 3Dmax, Lightwave etc are. Daz Studio is mainly a rendering program.
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Daz Studio is not a Modelling program. Blender, 3Dmax, Lightwave etc are. Daz Studio is mainly a rendering program.

It's called Hexagon...it's released by the same people that did Daz

edited March 2013

Szark said:

It's called Hexagon...it's released by the same people that did DazDaz3D is the company and Daz Studio is there flagship software, sorry for the confusion.

Arr Hexagon yes it isn't free anymore hence more confusion http://www.daz3d.com/hexagon-2-5-download-version/

Well it can model but as for doing what the toy software can do I have no idea. I don't use hexagon and I have no idea how the other software works, sorry.

Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

Free for me, it has been for months and I downloaded it. And even if it's not free anymore $20 is better then $200 or 500.

Still brings up my question. Making plushies from 3d computer models.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

You can certainly model something in Hexagon, if you know how to use it, that resembles a Plushie.

How you would get something out of it to use to create a real life 3D model I don;t know. Hexagon has UV Mapping, perhaps sthat can be used? Ask on the Hexagon forum, and they may be able to help you. I have never heard of anyone trying to do that.

• nitehawk_ltdnitehawk_ltd Posts: 387
    edited December 1969

Yes you can make plush toys in Hexagon or Carrara , but you will have to build it one polygon at a time.
    The reason the "Easy toy" program is expensive is what is is made to do. Make plush toys only.
    Everything is preset, just load your picture and go. A 'make art button'.
    You get what you pay for.

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited December 1969

What you really want is PatternImage. That appears as if it should make toy patterns from any 3D mesh, but it may well be even more expensive. I can't even find pricing on the website, only a request to contact for further information. If I understand correctly, EasyToy does only the 3D mesh part.

edited December 1969

Yes you can make plush toys in Hexagon or Carrara , but you will have to build it one polygon at a time.
    The reason the "Easy toy" program is expensive is what is is made to do. Make plush toys only.
    Everything is preset, just load your picture and go. A 'make art button'.
    You get what you pay for.

My thing was, could you upload the image in the background of Hex and still shape the polygon to the shape? I like how you can do that in the sketch based modeling...or at least you can with the EasyToy...I have yet to figure it out for ShapeShop. I think the image helps you to make sure at least your getting the shapes right.
    edited December 1969

What you really want is PatternImage. That appears as if it should make toy patterns from any 3D mesh, but it may well be even more expensive. I can't even find pricing on the website, only a request to contact for further information. If I understand correctly, EasyToy does only the 3D mesh part.

That would be only useable if you're willing to fork over the 4 grand...they stated that the program is just for company use, not for home users. They do have a place linked there they take the 2d image or 3d model (or both) and do it for you, for $30 or $60...that's the other way around it...but surly there is another way of doing the pattern layout, like they do in PatternImage
    edited December 1969

That would be only useable if you're willing to fork over the 4 grand...they stated that the program is just for company use, not for home users. They do have a place linked there they take the 2d image or 3d model (or both) and do it for you, for $30 or $60...that's the other way around it...but surly there is another way of doing the pattern layout, like they do in PatternImage
    That's pretty much what I said. It's way more expensive than EasyToy, but it's what you want. EasyToy only does modeling. :lol:

The only other way I can think of at the moment would be to model a toy, then bring it into Marvelous Designer and try to make a pattern that fit over it properly. But at that point you're pretty much hitting the level of effort/money where you might as well just work with fabric to begin with.

edited December 1969

That's pretty much what I said. It's way more expensive than EasyToy, but it's what you want. EasyToy only does modeling. :lol:

The only other way I can think of at the moment would be to model a toy, then bring it into Marvelous Designer and try to make a pattern that fit over it properly. But at that point you're pretty much hitting the level of effort/money where you might as well just work with fabric to begin with.

Unless the UV map is able to used as a pattern. Like I know I can use clothes UV maps, I can print them off, and copy the designs off the UV map, and onto the sloper (those are the basic pattern pieces, skirt, shirt, bodice, and pants)
    edited December 1969

Unless the UV map is able to used as a pattern. Like I know I can use clothes UV maps, I can print them off, and copy the designs off the UV map, and onto the sloper (those are the basic pattern pieces, skirt, shirt, bodice, and pants)
    You could do that. The problem is that you'd have to make and fit a pattern yourself in Marvelous Designer, which is a lot more trouble than the 'trace and cut' approach that other company is using. But at least you'd be able to tell whether the pattern was fitting the shape correctly. I'm surprised there isn't more CAD software out there with that capability.
    edited December 1969

You don't need Marvelous Designer to print off a UV map, cut out the shapes, and put them onto fabric. Then you test the pattern. Not different then clothes, expect I can't draw. Which is why I needed to look into making a 3d model into 2d pieces.

edited December 1969

I'm talking about using MD to actually test out patterns in 3D to fit a model, not just looking at a UV map.

If you want to use a UV map, though, some of the modelers may remap a model along lines you pick, and make their own automatic UV map that you could try using. Zbrush does this, not sure about others, but I imagine there may be similar options in different programs. I don't know how well it would work, but if you picked good seam lines on the model, it might be a pretty good start.

edited December 1969

Or figure out how to "cut" the lines like they do with PatternImage.

I sort of wish Daz's stuff would bridge on over with Gimp, like it does with Photoshop