How to Improve the Subdragon?

edited December 1969 in New Users

Hello, I am making a scene with a girl and a dragon (the one that comes with Daz Studio 4.5)
The tail and the body don't look nice... and I'm not sure how to improve it.
Should I try to make a higher resolution texture?
Or is it something that could improve with a shader?
Or... I don't know.
I'm using those scenes to learn some things, and I guess this scene is taking me to the path of learning how to make shaders... :p I did look at the texture, but I'm not sure how to make it better... should I make it bigger and them replace the low details with better details?
Is there some kind of tutorial out there that could help me?
thanks!

wip03_girlanddragon.jpg
1024 x 1146 - 555K

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Well Umm.. you could try to re-texture it but that is not a Shader. It is a custom made for it Texture. A shader would have much more work needed to get the detail the texture has. The UV map is causing some of what you see but part of it is you need to change some of the Surface settings that can add more detail than needing a new texture.

Try adding higher Bump and Displacement settings to the parts you think are plan before doing the work needed to improve it. The textures you see are at DEFAULT load and they can be edited to get better effects in your renders.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited March 2013

The dragon that comes with DAZ Studio is the Millennium SubDragon LE, and it's somewhat limited compared to the "full" Millennium SubDragon. It's great for basic use, but if you need higher resolution textures, they are available in the store: http://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=subdragon&x=-1067&y=-43

Of course, that's not to say that you NEED to spend money in order to improve it. It's certainly possible to make your own hi-resolution texture, and other changes in the Surfaces pane (as Jaderail mentioned) might help too.

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • edited December 1969

Yeah, I added those higher resolution textures to my wishlist... I may buy those one day, but right now my focus is on learning, so I guess I will try to improve what I have right now.
    (also, this month I am only spending money on what is PC or March Madness... :p)
    I will try to play with those sliders on surface pane, thanks :)

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

In case you're interested, the Genesis Fantasy Starter Bundle (which includes the full Millennium SubDragon and some other things) is in FastGrab today. :)

• edited December 1969

In case you're interested, the Genesis Fantasy Starter Bundle (which includes the full Millennium SubDragon and some other things) is in FastGrab today. :)

well, bugger, I had promised myself not to spend any more money this month, but, but, dragon, so shiiiny :~
    aaand there it goes. Couldn't resist D: