DAZ Studio 4 and DAZ Studio 3

mini_estrelasmini_estrelas Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hello!

I have a question: can I install DAZ Studio 4 and DAZ Studio 3 on my computer or i have to choose?

Thanks in advance,
Mini

Comments

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,508
    edited December 1969

Depends on several things, one of them if you are using Windows or Mac OS X.
    On Mac OS X, you can do it (as long as you do not mix different versions of 4 (which can be done but is trickier).
    Windows (not my area of expertise) is what I've learned much more difficult to make it work on.

• mini_estrelasmini_estrelas Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Totte said:
    On Mac OS X, you can do it (as long as you do not mix different versions of 4 (which can be done but is trickier).
    Windows (not my area of expertise) is what I've learned much more difficult to make it work on.

Right now I´ve Daz Studio 3. If I install Daz Studio 4. do I lose my stuff and dowloads that i made?

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,508
    edited December 1969

Totte said:

Right now I´ve Daz Studio 3. If I install Daz Studio 4. do I lose my stuff and dowloads that i made?

Not at all, but there is a problem running both programs (on Windows they collide in the registry, on Mac OS X that wont happen).
    Your content is safe, but keep in mind that some plugins for DS 3 won't work in DS 4 or needs upgrading.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited March 2013

I have DS3A 32bit, DS3A 64bit, DS4.5 32bit and DS4.5 64bit all installed on my Win7 without Issues. As Said only one version of DS4 can be installed at any time but DS3 and DS4 can both be installed without any issues.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

yep I agree I have 2.3, DS3A and DS4.5 installed and all working, though 2.3 doesn't get much action these days.

edited December 1969

Thank you so much for ur help! I will install than! :)

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

I also have DS 3 Advanced and DS 4.0 Pro installed on my Win7 Pro laptop. The only thing I install directly to DS 4 is Genesis related. Everything else I have installed to DS 3, and I set up DS 4 to access my DS 3 runtime. That way I get to use all my installed content in both versions. Of course, Genesis and any Genesis-related content will not work in DS 3, but everything else works in both versions just fine, except as Totte mentioned, plugins that have to be updated (or were updated) for DS 4. Those you would need the appropriate versions installed to the appropriate version of DS. ;-)

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

@Szark - I had used DS 2 on my old laptop and really wanted to install all 3 versions when I got this the beginning of last year, but for some reason DS 2.3 wouldn't install properly. Not sure why either. At least, however, I finally got to use my DS 3A, which had been languishing on my external drive for ages.

edited December 1969

I did my in order 2.3 and then DS3 etc. This is on Vista.

edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    I also have DS 3 Advanced and DS 4.0 Pro installed on my Win7 Pro laptop. The only thing I install directly to DS 4 is Genesis related. Everything else I have installed to DS 3, and I set up DS 4 to access my DS 3 runtime. That way I get to use all my installed content in both versions. Of course, Genesis and any Genesis-related content will not work in DS 3, but everything else works in both versions just fine, except as Totte mentioned, plugins that have to be updated (or were updated) for DS 4. Those you would need the appropriate versions installed to the appropriate version of DS. ;-)

How do I set up DS 4 to access DS 3 runtime?

edited December 1969

You point DS4.5 to your DS3 content like we did wih DS3 using Content Directory manager, Nothing has changed in that regard it is still the same. ;) Here are some visual references for you http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/11176/#160953