A Carrara Eclipse

apparently in some parts of the world there is going to be a total sun eclipse..

got me thinking how to do that in Carrara

post your way of doing it

I used a tourus and a sphere primitive.. one globe and lighting effects for this attempt

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited August 2017

Fun idea, but you are not supposed to look at it.  Instead, could poke a hole in a shoebox.  wink

I made a crescent shaped vertex object as an anything glows (cylinder primitive inside anything glows object to cast shadow), and modeled a shoebox with a hole.  Also used a tube light for the scene in general.

eclipse shoebox.jpg
    800 x 600 - 17K
    cc01 eclipse setup.JPG
    1356 x 931 - 123K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    Stezza said:

apparently in some parts of the world there is going to be a total sun eclipse..

I used a tourus and a sphere primitive.. one globe and lighting effects for this attempt

well that's pretty convincing!

edited August 2017
    Diomede said:

Fun idea, but you are not supposed to look at it.  Instead, could poke a hole in a shoebox.  wink

I made a crescent shaped vertex object as an anything glows (cylinder primitive inside anything glows object to cast shadow), and modeled a shoebox with a hole.  Also used a tube light for the scene in general.

nice lateral thinking :) out of the box so to speak

Diomede said:

Post edited by Headwax on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

smiley

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,796
    Diomede said:

Wow... there's a memory... I did that when I was about 10 years old ... ended up being a cloudy day and notice anything different.... lol

misty, without looking I'm guessing that's Bonnie Tyler..... 

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,796
    head wax said:
    Stezza said:

well that's pretty convincing!

Thanks, I couldn't get as much flare as I wanted though.... 

edited August 2017

great idea I am working on a resurrection scene, this could come in handy

Post edited by Headwax on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Pink Floyd used to use an animation of an eclipse to accompany the song of the same name (Eclipse from Dark Side of the Moon).

I am very jealous of anyone in the US who will see it live - I kind of saw one in 1999, it was unforgetable - even though it clouded over at the critical moment!  Make the most of the opportunity - but as has been said, use special solar glasses, Carrara is loads more difficult to use if you have been blinded...

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited August 2017

I've never seen eclipse but I once got a chance to take video of a red moon rising over the Volga on Tanabata 2009

https://youtu.be/VpCxwGZ1dbM

Post edited by Vyusur on

Vyusur - that is a beautiful video, and I love the music.  If I get some time, I might try to do a river scene with a moon like that.  I like how the river shimmers at the base of the frame.  Very inspiring.

Where I live, the moon will cover just over 80% of the sun.  I got the special glasses from a nearby museum and will watch some of it from my roof.  Unfortunately, it is very hot and humid here this time of year, so there is a good chance that clouds and thunderstorms will form, even though no big storm system is forcast.  Afternoon thunderstorms are part of every afternoon this time of year.  Hoping the weather holds up enough to get a good view.

Beautiful!  A full solar eclipse is in a different league to a lunar eclipse, I hope that as many as possible will take advantage to see it.

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Thank you, Diomede!

It's looking spectacular on TV - wish I was there!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

how many retinas are going to get damaged?

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    th3Digit said:

how many retinas are going to get damaged?

I looked out my office window and there were a bunch of people standing on top of the parking garage looking up at the sky trading a single pair of glasses between them.

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

I just got back from viewing it at the University of Arizona here in Tucson - the mall was packed full of people. I actually got kind of emotional...good thing I had those dark glases on...

Weather cooperated.  Great experience.  Could see people up on some of the surrounding roofs.  Fun.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Missed it... seen the last one Feb. 26, 1979 at work.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited August 2017

Just added a Solar Eclipse Challenge in my Animation in Carrara - Let's Animate - Q&A - Come One & All at this HERE post.  Come and let's see what you come up with for your anim. cool

I don't think Stezza would mind if you linked your anim to this thread... don't matter to me... let's get animating!

Post edited by wgdjohn on