NLA moving figure

Simple question about NLA.  I created a number of Master Poses based on regular poses.  I then added those to an Animation Trap in the Sequencer, creating a quick 'walk cycle' and then having figure lay down.

How do I get the figure to actually move/translate forward?

I'm not able to move the hip or the model - and when I tried to create a Master Clip, it ended up empty, without any info.

Thanks.

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,078

This scifi funk tut on NLA might help.  Skip ahead 2 minutes if you don't care about his lighting setup.

• Thanks - that's a great tutorial - I actually watched it recently, and it's part of what prodded me to give the NLA.

Still having a hard time getting things to work, though.  Tried creating a second NLA Track with just Hip and lower body set to override -  but still get weird twisting/pivoting of figure when I try to translate the hip.

Would like to add subtle movements with hip moving up and down during walk, and unable to add that .  Also need to alter sliding feet which resulted from animating between two poses - and if I try to create an in between poseclip - the figure goes into a new pose (rather than what had been showing on the timeline before adding the new empty editable clip)

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Mosk,  I try to steer clear of translate and only use Rotate for different poses. However Translate can be used... check out this vid by mmoir.

BTW:  I've been adding most if not all of your threads to my Animation in Carrara - Let's Animate - Q&A - Come One & All thread..

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Don't use NLA "Pose clips" when you're trying to create a walk cycle.

Create the walk cycle animation,. then make that an NLA Clip,. so it can be saved and re-used.

Animate naturally in the timeline using keyframes,. (it's much less complicated)

Would like to add subtle movements with hip moving up and down during walk, and unable to add that .

You can adjust the hip up/down to create a keyframe,. then ALT click/drag to duplicate that keyframe along the timeline.