Daz studio installation cancels out previously installed 64 bit versions

neterneter Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

If any Window users out there can help me out a relatively new Windows user or a Mac user running both Mac & Win via Boot Camp I would be grateful.
I'm running Win. 7 64 bit on a Mac w/ Lion 10.7+.64 bit, I already had DAZ Studio 4 Advanced installed for old format content, and recently installed the new 4.5 pro. I have not even bother with the Mac version yet, hopefully I can learn from this first lesson.
When going through the installation process, I'm informed by the program that a previously installed 64 bit version already exists. I'm then told that only older duplicate files will be replaced. When I click okay, and complete the installation, the previous version has been replaced with the new one. When I try to re-install the other version, the same message appears and the installation does the same thing, merely replace the other version. What am I doing wrong? How can I install and keep both versions. I am of course assuming that I do indeed need both versions, since if I'm correct, that the new 4.5 will only run the newer 4.5 versions of content? I hope I'm wrong, but I don't believe that I am.

On related matter, I had not at the time added any of my additional content purchases on the Windows side, so I used the install manager to start installing some of my content downloads. The first batch installed fine, however the second did not, after the next installation, all of my smart content, did a Houdini disappearing act. I've read previous posts of others who had similar problems and tried to correct it unsuccessfully. So I out frustration, I trashed everything to start out fresh. I reset and downloaded Daz 4.5 pro and re-installed it. I have not done anything else until hopefully I can get some much needed dummy help :red:
Which brings me to another issue which I'm sure Window users can easily help me with. I tried downloading the program from the Windows side but switched back to the Mac side to download because I did not know where my downloads were located. So my "questions" are can somebody help a brother out? :red:

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I can't help with anything Mac I'm afraid, but the Windows stuff is simple enough.

You CANNOT have two versions of DS4 on your machine at the same time. In other words, you can't have DS4 and DS4.5 together on the same PC or Mac.

You have no need to have both anyway. DS4 will not open the new DUF format, but DS4.5 will open both DUF and (the older) DAZ format. So, all DS and Poser content made for DS3, DS4, and DS4.5 will open with DS4.5.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited March 2013

It is true that you can't run DS4.0 and DS4.5 on the same computer. You can have DS4.5 and DS3 on the same computer, though.

It is not true that content made for DS4.0 will not work in DS4.5...any content for DS3 or DS4 should work fine in DS4.5. This isn't always true of plug-ins, but most of the popular plug-ins have been updated to be compatible with DS4.5.

If you upgrade from DS4.0 to DS4.5 without updating your content, you may see some "Duplicate ID" error messages when you try to load your content, but the content itself will still work (and there are ways to fix the Duplicate ID error message problem: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/9374/)

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • neterneter Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks guys!
    I'm straight on that part, however I still do not know what happened to my smart content. As I stated when I installed Daz 4.5 pro and the Essentials I had smart content. I then used the DIM and installed some of my purchased products, still good, had smart content. I then loaded up another batch of products and suddenly no more smart content. I uninstalled Daz and then re-installed it but I guess because I did not also uninstalled all the installed product contents, The same issue is still there NO SMART CONTENTS. Here's a screen shot.

Daz_Content_Directory_Manager_screen_shot_1.jpg
    1550 x 897 - 167K
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

It sounds like your CMS has crashed. My understanding is that this can happen a lot on Macs because every time you go to a content folder it needs to mark the contents as seen, and on Macs that sometimes crashes Valentina. You'll need to restart the CMS, then you should "Mark All Content As Seen" after adding each batch of content to keep this from happening.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,526
    edited December 1969

Hello,

First off, there is a difference between how you can run DS on Windows compared to Mac OS X. On Mac OS X you can have multiple versions installed as long as you have different Runtimes for the basic content (Genesis), one 4.0 and one 4.5 and then a third Runtime with all other stuff. When Installing you need to install 4.0, then rename that folder in /Application/DAZ 3D to DS 4.0, then install 4.5 setting a NEW content path and rename that folder to DS 4.5.

But that wasn't really the main question here. I see you are running Windows (but in VMWare or Bootcamp) on a Mac, which is very little related to DS on Mac OS but more related to DS on Windows.

• neterneter Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Finally! I'm back on the block.. the starting block that is.

I had to get down right GEEKY with it; and finally I got my Smart Content back:-). I went to the Knowledge base on problems with the Smart Content. I tried EVERYTHING! suggested, but nothing would work. The CMS was running, but not correctly. I finally had to try the last resort suggested and trashed the CMS & Daz 4.5, and did a complete re-install. I then re-installed both files of the Genesis Starter Essentials, re-imported the Metadata & marked all content as seen, and presto! all of the Smart Content re-appeared.

I did not re-install Daz 4 since I've been told that I do not need it.

So thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

DazSmartContentCapture.PNG
    478 x 977 - 359K