Using two-three graphic cards for Iray Rendering

I am using a single Nvidia GTX970 Card for Iray rendering in Daz Studio V4.9.3. For a simple image of one figure and no background, it usually takes about 4-5minuites to finish.

I would like to know if putting one or two more video cards in my machine reduces the rendering time and possible create a realtime render situation. I have seen on youtube where 2 Titan X cards are used to utilize the realtime capability in Daz Studio but no instructions or set up tutorials were given, can someone enlighten me on how to set up this realtime rendering in Daz Studio?

K

Comments

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

Perhaps you could clarify what you are trying to do. When you use the term "realtime rendering", do you mean instantaneous production of a final render? Are you talking about single frames or animation? The use of more than one fast Nvidia card will certainly reduce render times, but how "realtime" that will be will depend on many factors, such as resolution and the complexity of the scene.

• I got the idea from this video:

it is not for final render but for instant feedback of lighting and texture, etc. I think to clarify it should be called Iraq interactive, that is when the camera POV is changed the card follows up with very fast rendering of the scene and it constantly update the quality when camera is not moving until it approximate the quality of a final render.

k

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

Then, to answer your initial question, yes, adding a second card will result in faster refreshes of the Interactive Preview Render. Just remember that adding a second card might require a beefier power supply - check the power requirements for both cards.

As for setting up the Iray Interactive Preview Render, you do that by accessing the menu items Window > Panes (tabs) > Aux Viewport. That should add an Aux Viewport tab on the right and display the small interactive viewport. You then need to access the Draw Style Options menu (little ball icon) and choose Nvidia Iray. Now you should be good to go. You may want to play with it a bit to see performance with your existing card prior to investing in a second, as it may be faster than expected. One thing that you can also do if you have an Intel CPU is enable the onboard graphics and use that to drive your monitor, thus reserving your Nvidia card for rendering only, which can improve performance.