Need help with creating simple props

Paula SandersPaula Sanders Posts: 321
edited December 1969 in The Commons

All I want to do is take a simple primitve or such and turn it into a throw blanket. with creases, etc. to fit furniture. Years ago I could maneuver my way through 3D modeling programs and create simple models, but I haven't used these programs in years. I have Hexagon 2.5, Sculptris and ZBrush. Years ago I could use ZBrush and created simple props.

Any help or tutorials for this purpose would be helpful. I understand mesh subdivision, etc. so I am not totally new to this, just terribly rusty.

Thanks

Comments

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited March 2013

If I had to do it, I'd to it through ZBrush. Import your bed as an object into ZBrush, add a plane primitive as a subtool, turn plane primitive into polymesh, position plane mesh so it lies on the bed as horizontally as possible through the transpose or deformation tools, divide the geometry 2-3 times to get some polygons and use inflate, smooth, nudge, pinch and move brushes to sculpt folds. After that tone down geometry levels to manageable (say, 5.000-10K polygons) and export your thrown blanket from ZBrush as an object to use it in your program of choice.
    (Smooth brush in ZBrush now activates by holding Shift, without messing up with your primary brush.)

Alternatively, if you use Poser, just load your bed, load plane primitive and clothify it in cloth dynamic room.

Post edited by Kattey on
  • wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

You COULD download an evaluation copy of Rhino3D and use the drape command... I've done that before.
    http://www.rhino3d.com

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

This is the very reason I haven't removed Poser Pro since migrating to Daz Studio. The cloth room's draping functions are perfect for just this sort of thing.

• Paula SandersPaula Sanders Posts: 321
    edited December 1969

I have never used Poser for draping. I have Poser 9 on my machine. I have Poser 2010, but it isn't installed. Is there a difference in the cloth room and how one drapes?

All of these ideas give me a good head start. I did go into Zbrush and it started to come back to me, but this might be easier. Thanks all for your comments.

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,095
    edited December 1969

you can do that in blender, too, with cloth physics, then export as an obj. file.

• Paula SandersPaula Sanders Posts: 321
    edited December 1969

Help - If I do draping in Poser 9 it works fine if I use a prop from there and drape a primitve over it. I followed the instructions inDeeDee's Doodles tutorial. But if I take a girl on a bed in Vue and export the group as an OBJ and bring it into Poser, when I go to do the collision detecting, it will not recognize that OBJ group. Do I need to do something with the group?

Thanks