Installed Carrara 8 Pro and... well, nothing is visible

susibikersusibiker Posts: 31
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi,

I've just installed Carrara 8 Pro (to the default location settings) and all I get is a grey screen with the DAZ icon top left, "File", and "Web" Menus.

The "File" menu has "Preferences", "Hide Application", "Reset Preferences", and "Exit."

I'm actually getting quite concerned. I paid what is a lot of money for me, two days ago for v8 Pro, and all I have found when looking for information is broken links, out of date information. I have a sinking feeling that Carrara is going the way of Caligari - extinction.

Please prove me wrong.
Why is Carrara devoid of menus and content?

I installed Carrara_8.1.1.12_Win64.exe both with and without administrator privileges.

Thanks,
Susi xx

Comments

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,571
    edited December 1969

Is it so that the "registration dialog" has happened to end up behind the main window?
    I guess that is what can cause this, (happened to me).

• susibikersusibiker Posts: 31
    edited December 1969

Hi Totte, many thanks for the quick reply.

As much as I'd love to "High-Five" you as having solved the problem...

...Sadly, I have already filled in my name, and registered it. When I start the program, it pops up with a lovely splash screen showing my name and serial code.

"High-Five!" anyway for being so quick to rush to my aid!

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,571
    edited December 1969

susibiker said:
    Hi Totte, many thanks for the quick reply.

As much as I'd love to "High-Five" you as having solved the problem...

...Sadly, I have already filled in my name, and registered it. When I start the program, it pops up with a lovely splash screen showing my name and serial code.

"High-Five!" anyway for being so quick to rush to my aid!

OK, then I think you need to ask in the Carrara-forum, there might more Carrara knowledge there. (I'm just a Carrara padwan)

• ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

Carrara has the main program and render nodes. The render nodes run on different computers to allow for a render farm setup. It sounds like you either installed or are running the render node, not the main Carrara program.

The Installers for the Render Node have "RenderNode" in the name.

ncamp

• susibikersusibiker Posts: 31
    edited March 2013

Thanks too ncamp.

Sorted it! Only taken me a whole day!! :down:

The default install directory shoves the 64bit version of the executable into the 32bit directory. I suspect everything else that Carrara needs in the way of menus, basic content, etc., is in the 64bit directory, hence the epic fail.

Solution:-
    Make sure that you change the default install directory of the 64bit version on Windows 7 from C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\Carrara8\ to C:\Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D\Carrara8\

Simples! (Happy again!)

It works, so far...
    Now I have to find out just where the oodles of manually-installed Carrara goodies are and if they'll need reinstalling.

I do hope the older content gets updated for the beta Installer to use soon.

Many thanks guys xx

EDIT:
    Nope. Spoke too soon. The menus are there, some leaves in "Objects" and nothing else.
    I'm not a computer noob. I have been programming and using computers since before the advent of the PC, but this is driving me nuts!

Post edited by susibiker on
  • GrokDDGrokDD Posts: 59
    edited December 1969

I am using the DIM and have pointed under the Applications Tab for Carrara 8.5 (64-bit) to my installation folder of D:/Program Files/DAZ 3D/Carrara8.

Yes, it's on my D: I've got all DAZ products installed on a 64GB SD chip. on my Tablet.

However, Luxus for Carrara (Win 64-bt) fails to install citing "Install Manager cannot find a required path. The installer for "Luxus for Carrara (Win 64-bit)" requires that the installed path for "Carrara 8 (64-bit)" be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the "Applications" page of the "Settings" dialog, then try again. "

It IS pointing tot he installed path for Carrara 8 (64-bit).

I know the DIM recognizes this cause it installed other Carrara products such as hair-caps as well as M4 & V4 High Res Shaders.

Stumped on where to tell DIM to look for my Carrara install folder, other than where I installed it.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

It looks like the manifest for Luxus specifies just Carrara 8, not 8 and 8.5. Try adding the same path in the Applications tab as Carrara 8 as well -- if that solves the problem, please submit a bug report so the manifest can be fixed.

• GrokDDGrokDD Posts: 59
    edited December 1969

fixmypcmike,
    That did it.

For others with similar problem:
    1) In the DIM click on the gear to bring up the apps's settings
    2) Click on the Applications tab
    3) In the lower left click on the + symbol
    4) Select Carrara under the Name: dropdown menu
    5) Set the version to 8, not 8.5
    6) Set the Bit: to what ever version of your operating system
    7) Set the path to your installed Carrara folder.
    8) Hit Accept.
    9) Try to have the DIM install the plug-ins again.

Thanks again fixmypcMike for the quick reply.