Genesis 3/8 UVs for Genesis...?

I primarily use Genesis, since I can easily switch between male and female, which is handy for shapeshifters as well as making fathers/daughters resemble each other, and mothers/sons resemble each other.  I know Cayman Studios has some G3 UVs for G2, and there's DraagonStorm/SloshWerks have G2-to-G1 UVs; would there be a way to bridge those two...or would it be simpler just to have a G3-to-G1 set?  That'd be awesome, if someone could swing it!

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,557

Considering the age and limited user base of genesis 1, I doubt there is any commercial viability for such a product.

You could try doing it yourself with the transfer utility or one of the products like blacksmith3D or ultimate unwrap 3d

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,025

To answer your original question, no you can't combine the "G3 to G2" and "G2 to G1" products, you would need a dedicated "G3 to G1" product.

Some of the changes introduced with G3 mean that in order to use G3 textures on previous figures (or textures for previous figures on G3) you need a set of geografts to add edge loops in the right place so that you can redefine the material zones boundaries in a way that allows the use of those maps on the target figure, and not only an alternate UV set like we had for G1 and G2.

• VueiyVueiy Posts: 518

Thanks for the replies, guys!  Hm, maybe someone will have mercy on me (and the handful of others still working w/ G1) and do it anyway.  I guess it'd be too much to ask at this point for someone to to a G8-to-G1 set of UV's...

crying

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,887

You may as well ask for new high quality Genesis or Genesis 2 skins?

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,114

This inability to use the newer skins on G1 is mostly what's keeping me from buying new characters with interesting skins.

I think another problem is the way the material zones are organized. G1 is only the "legacy" way, and G2 and G3 were different. So if a geograft product existed it would also have to change the material zones so they can be properly applied.

Unfortunately, I also think it would be unlikely for such a handy product to be made.

• InkuboInkubo Posts: 742

I feel like the folks who make Texture Transformer are ignoring a market because their transforms go only one way, from older figures to newer ones.

The idea that older figures should go unsupported is wrong-headed, I think, because the belief they have a smaller user base than the most modern is probably just an assumption--and one that would be difficult to support. How can we collect reliable data on the total number of people still using M4/V4, Genesis, or whatever as compared to more modern figures?

I don't have any actual proof, either, but I suspect that older figures are actually more popular because they are natively usable in a wider range of software packages.

• jan_8a6b444a69jan_8a6b444a69 Posts: 43
    edited October 2017

@Inkubo and at all.

Yes thats totaly right. If i want to bring another Skin (UV) on my Charakter, than i want a better Skin, which looks more natural. And beyond all doubt Victoria 8 has a better, more natural looking Skin than everything i can find for G2. So a backward Converter would make more sense than to convert a not so nice skin to a Charakter which already has a better one. I would buy a bachward converter. A forward Converter makes no sense for UVs. A forward Converter makes sense for poses and morphs but not for UVs.

But in my case the best solution would be a set of Poser Companion Files for G3 and G8 and the clothes for them.

Yes, of cause, not every one has Poser, because it's not Free. But if we are fair, if you want to bring DS to the functionality of Poser and buy all the addons and so on, then you can easly spend the Same amount what you have to pay for Poser

Greets

Jan

Post edited by jan_8a6b444a69 on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,557

Yes, of cause, not every one has Poser, because it's not Free. But if we are fair, if you want to bring DS to the functionality of Poser and buy all the addons and so on, then you can easly spend the Same amount what you have to pay for Poser

Greets

Jan

Functionality of Poser? LOL there are many things that DS does that poser doesn't and vice versa. I have both apps installed and use DS more than the other. This has nothing to do with fair, it is business. Since the DS store doesn't make any new items for older figures, then it makes sense for vendors to support newer figures. There is nothing stopping users from using any figure they want, I still use V4 and M4 on occasion, but great looking textures don't hide flaws in the mesh/rigging and older figures do show their age when compared to newer figures more times than not.

I still use GF2 quite a bit since I can use GF3 textures on her. Cayman made a comment in his commercial thread that he is working on a product to bring current textures to genesis 1. So with GenX you can have all your V4 and M4 characters using the latest textures soon!

• jan_8a6b444a69jan_8a6b444a69 Posts: 43
    edited October 2017

Tonight i played a bit around with Poser. And i made some Hi-Res Renders of V5. If i use the highest Automatic-Settings of Firefly, which gives her a Bump-Map, she looks realy great. I was realy surprised. It tooks a bout 10 Minutes to render a picture of 2300x1200. And in that resolution, no doubt, she looks great. And she is a G1 Character, if i´m not wrong. But if i render her on 3Dlight, it looks not half as nice. (But it is faster on a resolution of 1200x1200 naked and default). iRay is no option for me, the same Picture would take 2 hours with iRay, thats caused by my old graphic-card.

DS is great for caracter-design. Forming Faces, designing Elven-Ears and things like that. But Poser is by far better when it comes to realy big scenes. I have  Shantara City and the Dystopia City-Blocks. If I load that on WorldBase XT in DS I cant even navigate through the szene because the DS is absolutly overcharged. In Poser i can easily navigate through the city. I have an iMac with a 4 core 3,2 GHz Intel Core i5 and 16 GB Ram. Ok, it is 4 years old, but it should be enough to navigate in a Scene i think.

Daz is crazy enough to compare DS with Maya. https://www.daz3d.com/daz_studio

I use Maya, for modelling. And if i want to bring Maya to the same behavior, which DS has if i load Shantara City on WorldBase XT...
    Than i need a 2 GB Model of a Soccer-Stadium with an Instance-Based Crowd-Simulation of 50.000 Instances of 100 Characters with randomized cloth- and behavior-variations. Belief me, i talk from experience. It is not only the Modelling and Texturing, which makes the difference between Maya and DS.
    To compare it with DS and say the difference is Modelling, Texturing and the Price, that is a bad joke.

Carrara is a nice and cheap alternative to real Pro applications like Maya, and it can use Content-Libraries from Poser and DS and there are nice Tutorials for it on YouTube. I don't use it very often but it is great if morphs are reaching there borders. And as far as i know it can open DS-Szene files, but i'm not realy sure.

Greets
    Jan

PS: Yes i made that crowd-simulation, i have talked from. And i have done it on this machine.

Post edited by jan_8a6b444a69 on