gelatin

laverdet_943f1f7da1laverdet_943f1f7da1 Posts: 252
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hello!!! I have to texture a calmar, sort of fish wich is no transparent, no reflective, but a bit of all that, like gelatinous gelly... does anyone has tips to create that type of material? thank you for help!!!

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,198
    edited December 1969

Would you happen to have a good picture of one?
    Perhaps have a look at the various water shaders that came with the Carrara Native Content for examples? I would try a few things to help more, but I'm stuck finishing a project right now.

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Would you happen to have a good picture of one?
    Perhaps have a look at the various water shaders that came with the Carrara Native Content for examples? I would try a few things to help more, but I'm stuck finishing a project right now.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=calmar&FORM=HDRSC2

Looks to me like you'd want to start with the Translucency channel...

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,198
    edited December 1969

Yes. If you're looking to make one of those more white-looking one's (the easier to create one's from Garstor's link) you'll likely need lots of gloss, which means a highlight value of near or even 100% and a shininess of 12 to 18. Put a slightly blue, but more grey color in the Subsurface Scattering, and put a good value in the translucency part. Maybe start with 33 and see what happens. At first, stay away from reflection. For the color channel, perhaps try a near white gray to near white blue grey color gradient using a fractal noise or just noise shader - experiment with that, with perhaps a few variations added to the gradient in the middle - but start simple, like just the two colors, then add more if needed. A cellular shader for that gradient may be another option if the others fail. If you do add bump, try to keep it very minimal to keep that sheen from being absorbed too quickly. I'd try none at first though. Just a touch of transparency, not alpha, might help the effect. Be careful not to overdo it though, or it'll get really bright on you. If you're putting it in water, maybe the brightness of a higher transparency would help. The translucency will be set up in the Subsurface scattering channel - so no need to use that channel.

Before you get too nuts with this shader, make sure you have a good, well lit scene to test it in. Keep in mind that you'll need this thing to look glossy, so a good side casting light coming in almost from the rear of the object will be a big help. Don't be afraid to crank the brightness up a bit on that one, and then contrast it with some less bright lights directed at the front of the thing from more head on. This should help make a shine. The better you set the scene to what it will look like in the end, the more successful your shader adjustments will be.

Let us know of your progress on this.