Smart Content 'Files' and 'Products'

Hi goodday!

I've thought for this for a long time, I could not think of someone kind enough to answer.

Anyway, in Daz Studio in the Smart Content pane there are two tabs 'Files' and 'Products' they seem look redundant to me, I was wondering what're their difference and which of the 'Files' and 'Products' tabs can work for offline work and which is for online(login) only, and If I download free models, which of the tab 'File' nor 'Products' tab should I use to browse my DL'ed models?

I asked on another forum and they say just use the 'Content Library' to me looks a bit more sense but what is this DAZ Connect?

Lastly, what is the 'Install' pane, are the models/hairs inside this pane are the free stuff installed via DIM and not yet opened/viewed in the canvas, I think? (or in another phrase: What are these models doing in the Install pane and why)

Comments

• y3kmany3kman Posts: 765
    edited August 2017

For the Smart Content tab:

Files: Lists all the applicable files the Daz application locates in the directories specified in the settings. Say, you selected Files -> Hair, the pane will list all the hairs installed in your PC.

Products: As the name implies, it lists all Daz products with said object/item. If you selected Products -> Hair, it will list all products that have hair included in it.

There are pros and cons with using the Smart Content -> Files tab. It's way faster if you want a specific item and know where to look. It's a PITA if you want to find clothes.

Daz Connect is just a fancy term for using the Daz 3D application to install products. I personally install products using the DIM or manually unzip the files. Take note that there are certain products that are required to be installed using Daz Connect. They're labeled as Encrypted Daz Content.

The install pane just shows you products you owned that are not yet installed in your PC. They are greyed out. The confusion arises when certain products/items in the Smart Content tab are labeled as available for download (with the (v) symbol). Do not install those items if they have a colored thumbnail.

Post edited by y3kman on
  • @y3kman

Thank you for the Great info!

I can a bit confirm 'Product' tab is like a 'View All' the installed/not installed(and what else?) models/hairs/clothes. At first reading about your reply I thought it was a built in store like the DAZ webpage store, but I saw there was far too few if it's that case.

I also can confirm it's on the 'Product' tab I can update models(if logged-in), I just updated Genesis Starter Essentials. it's also where I saw another uninstall besides in DIM.

Reading your reply and looking around these three tabs over and over,  I get the context bit by bit.
    Basically;
    'Files':  A list of your content located in the directories specified in your settings and are installed.
    'Products':  A view all my content tab, lists all your downloaded content that are either installed or not, is also a place where you can install and uninstall a content.
    'Install' pane:  Shows all the downloaded and NOT installed content.

I hope I understood the gist of the three.

Also, the (v) symbol on a colored thumbnail, I have those like on my Genesis 3 Starter Essentials, what do you advice to do in such case -- just ingore them?
    Content with a (v) sign

• y3kmany3kman Posts: 765

Just  ignore them if the thumbnail is colored. The product is already installed by the DIM (DAZ Install Manager) or manually by the user. You can already use them. If you try to install them, Daz would redownload it again and install it in its Daz Connect directory. Here's an example. The wardrobe was downloaded and installed by the DIM. I can still use it even though it has the install icon.

Untitled.jpg
    1920 x 1040 - 251K