Low-poly tree alpha question

nowefgnowefg Posts: 557
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

Hi. Studio 4.5.1.56 64 bit.

I picked up a low-poly-count conifer tree, originally designed for Vue, that also comes with .objs and .jpg textures; says it works with "any app than can import .objs." It comes with .mtl files, as well, that I understand Studio can't implement.

Importing the .obj is no problem, and applying the diffuse needle texture works; the issue is that the .obj "leaves" are black rectangles that the diffuse gets superimposed on, but the black rectangle shape remains visible.

There is an included .jpg called "needle-alpha" with the leaf silhouette in white on black background, which I understand is the format for transparency maps, but I don't know how to apply it, or where.

Any ideas? Is it possible to combine the diffuse and alpha .jpgs into a png with alpha data and use that? if so, how, where? Can Blender combine them and output a complete, textured Wavefront? I have, but haven't used, Blender.

It's a great looking middle-to-background scene element that I'd like to figure out and use, but I can't see the tree for the leaves...

Comments

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

put the alpha image in the opacity channel (further down the list of options).

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,322
    edited December 1969

If you select the tree object, and open the surfaces tab, you should be able to plug in the "needle-alpha" into the opacity strength channel.
    Set it to 100% see if it doesn't solve your question.

grassalpha.jpg
    681 x 267 - 57K
  • nowefgnowefg Posts: 557
    edited December 1969

Thank you both! I'll give that a whirl.