Blacksmith3D

This discussion was created from comments split from: Free Software that Makes Life Easier.

Comments

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Thank you, rk66! I've downloaded it. But I can't figure out how to paint on object in this program. The interface doesn't look friendly.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,198
    Vyusur said:

Thank you, rk66! I've downloaded it. But I can't figure out how to paint on object in this program. The interface doesn't look friendly.

There are more available at the same channel ;)

Dart, thank you very much for sharing the tutorial! I have to try this technique.

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151

We split this off since it was going into tutorials and the program was only free for the day, so no longer free.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

He! I downloaded it yesterday and it seems interresting.

Thank you Dart for the tutos!

edited August 2017

This program is a good choice for those who don't want to use blender.

Post edited by Vyusur on
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

I've not used it yet but know that the Pro version comes with Texture Transformer which allows using textures from different generations to newer ones.  It comes with a few but some are extra plug-ins.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

I downloaded it but unfortunately it wouldnt register.

I have one or two previous versions - they are good but the interface was ... err interesting to say the least. :)

worth persevering with though

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

I upgraded from ver6 to ver7... both registered fine.  I only entered required fields and reg #.  Did you let support there know?  You can get B3D email by using help/tutorials and looking at lower right of page.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

thanks for that, I will get in touch with them. ;) cheers

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691

For anyone interested, here are the other Blacksmith3D YouTube tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/user/blacksmith3D

Also, for a while, Blacksmith3D (BS3D) was called RealityPaint (was Blacksmith3D first, then changed to RealityPaint, then back to Blacksmith3D). The tutorials for RealityPaint which cover some things not covered in the BS3D videos) are here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXKRFHAZhiDv9jCSEjDrr5Q

The user interface is a bit different, but it is actually extremely efficient once you get used to it. The painting capabilities aren't on the same par feature wise as 3D Coat or zBrush, but the the painting in general, and the  projection painting is really good for something in this price range.The morphing capabilities can be accomplished in Carrara, but the workflow for DAZ/Poser specific content is outstanding. You can build individual morphs in Blacksmith (i.e. cheek define,nose wider, etc.), and either export all of them at full strength back to your original character as a single morph, export each morph individually, or export custom combinations of your morphs (at anywhere from 0-100% strength) for a character morph. You can also save a custom dialed character in DS, and import it into BS3D, and all of the morphs will be adjustable in BS3D (plus you can then add in your own).

IMHO, it's a pretty slick piece of software. Depending on your needs, Carrara may give you everything you would use in BS3D,But, many things are simply more efficient to do in a focused application like BS3D, and there are also features like projection painting that Carrara doesn't have.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Thanks.  yes

DustRider said:

For anyone interested, here are the other Blacksmith3D YouTube tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/user/blacksmith3D

Also, for a while, Blacksmith3D (BS3D) was called RealityPaint (was Blacksmith3D first, then changed to RealityPaint, then back to Blacksmith3D). The tutorials for RealityPaint which cover some things not covered in the BS3D videos) are here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXKRFHAZhiDv9jCSEjDrr5Q

The user interface is a bit different, but it is actually extremely efficient once you get used to it. The painting capabilities aren't on the same par feature wise as 3D Coat or zBrush, but the the painting in general, and the  projection painting is really good for something in this price range.The morphing capabilities can be accomplished in Carrara, but the workflow for DAZ/Poser specific content is outstanding. You can build individual morphs in Blacksmith (i.e. cheek define,nose wider, etc.), and either export all of them at full strength back to your original character as a single morph, export each morph individually, or export custom combinations of your morphs (at anywhere from 0-100% strength) for a character morph. You can also save a custom dialed character in DS, and import it into BS3D, and all of the morphs will be adjustable in BS3D (plus you can then add in your own).

IMHO, it's a pretty slick piece of software. Depending on your needs, Carrara may give you everything you would use in BS3D,But, many things are simply more efficient to do in a focused application like BS3D, and there are also features like projection painting that Carrara doesn't have.