Questions on working with the new Install Manager

solarviewsolarview Posts: 272
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi All,

Been away from DAZ for a little while, and I see they now have this all new 'Install Manager'. Sounds like a nicely done, and overdue, content solution. :)

So I now have a couple of questions regarding setting it up properly.
Previously, I had set all my installs to go to my Documents/DAZ 3D. As I remember it, that was the default location recommended.
In trying to set up and use the new Install Manager, the user guide is directing everything to the 'Users/Shared/DAZ 3D/install Manager' folder.
I'm fine with this location being the preferred location going forward, if that is what the Install Manager prefers. But how does this effect all my hundreds of previous installed items?
Can I just drag them over to this new location and have them fire up correctly with DAZ Studio 4.5?
Old Location- e.g.:
Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library
Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Renders
Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Poses

So drag them, as in the parent 'DAZ 3D' folder, with all the inclosed folders. Would this be correct to not mess up my older installs?

FYI, I'm on version Studio 4.5, on a Mac system.

Thanks!

- Sol

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

What you'll want to do, if you have Install Manager installing to the new default, is add your previous content folders to DS. You don't want to add the parent folders, you need to add the 3 separate folders. Add My Library as a Poser-format content folder as well -- the other two don't need to be unless they contain a Runtime folder.

• solarviewsolarview Posts: 272
    edited December 1969

What you'll want to do, if you have Install Manager installing to the new default, is add your previous content folders to DS. You don't want to add the parent folders, you need to add the 3 separate folders. Add My Library as a Poser-format content folder as well -- the other two don't need to be unless they contain a Runtime folder.

Hey Mike, thanks for the quick reply.
    So just drag the 'My Library', 'My Poses' and 'My Renders' folders over to the new 'Shared/DAZ 3D/InstallManager' folder, and then start up DAZ Studio 4.5? (FYI, I have just updated to the latest version of 4.5.)

Will I need to redirect 'Studio 4.5' to the new content location, upon firing it up after this folders re-location process?

Thanks.

- Sol

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Yes you will. It is different than the Default folder in DS4.5.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Yes you will. It is different than the Default folder in DS4.5.

OK, so I'm sure I'm asking one of those really obvious questions here, but where in 'Studio 4.5' do I re-direct it to the new folders locations?
    I moved the folders to the new location, and then opened up Studio 4.5, and now I can't see my renders, etc.
    Looked in preferences, but don't see what should be obvious. What did I miss?
    Help appreciated. :)

- Sol

edited December 1969

OK. A follow up.
    I found the 'Content Directory Manager'. And that allowed the re-direct my older files/Renders. Seems to be working, partially. I opened a couple of files, and they seem to be fine. But a third more important file of mine opened as block figures. Haven't seen this before. Said some files were missing and included a long list of 'duplicate ID' files. So what else has to be moved and re-located?

edited December 1969

And one more thing, selecting 'New' from the File menu doesn't give me a new Genesis character any more. A box pops up like it's trying to open one, but it disappears and nothing happens, blank stage.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Can you post a screenshot of the Content Directory Manager with DS-formats and Poser-formats expanded?

• bev_headbev_head Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

there are three installation videos for the download manager on line that you can follow step by step - how to create new paths etc - might be helpful -if you put install manager into the search engine on line it will direct you there