Working with High Res Genesis - Help needed

xjadexxxxjadexxx Posts: 43
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

I have read that the base Genesis is lower resolution than Gen 4, but that when opened in DAZ Studio, it has its resolution doubled, so it effectively is slightly higher than Gen 4. I am using Hexagon for practicing morphs, and I would like to work with the higher resolution version of Genesis, but it seems to only transfer the low resolution version from DS 4.5 to Hexagon.

Does anyone know how to export the high resolution version of Genesis for modeling work? It seems that being limited to morph work with only the low resolution version would be crippling, so I am guessing that there is a method.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you :)

Comments

• mfourniermfournier Posts: 19
    edited December 1969

Will getting the high res version OUT is easy you just select High resolution in the Mesh resolution and then set SubDivison level to 1 or 2 BUT the problem I think you are having is bring the it back in as a morph shape.

Sorry but you can't do that. Because Morph shapes must have the same vertex count as the base mesh you are applying them to. In the Genesis model that is the Base mesh so you MUST export the base mesh resolution and then NOT and any resolution or change the vertex count in your modeling application if you want to apply it as a morph shape.

NOW you can export a high res model then model it then import it as a new figure and then use the Transfer utility to rig it. Your new OBJ will be your new base mesh you can then convert it to a SubD but this is like rigging a custom figure. It will no longer work like a genesis based figure any more.

• xjadexxxxjadexxx Posts: 43
    edited December 1969

Thank you for the information. Even getting a high-res figure out seems to be a problem. I exported Genesis as "base" resolution and high resolution, and the same model ended up in Hexagon.

I can see now why Gen 4 remains so popular, With a higher base resolution, you can do more detailed modeling.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,849
    edited December 1969

Remember, though, that you need to use that higher resolution mesh to smooth out the shapes you make whereas with the lower resolution Genesis mesh the morph can retain sharp creases as the SubD process will smooth them. The issue isn't the degree of detail you can apply, which is roughly the same, butt hat with the higher resolution mesh you have more choice about where to place it as you can move the edges that are added later in Genesis as you starting point.