3d clouds

MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,808
edited August 2017 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi, I am in need for 3d clouds for iray. What's your suggestion?

Post edited by Masterstroke on

Comments

• MarcCCTxMarcCCTx Posts: 909

Stonemason made some pretty iRay clouds https://www.daz3d.com/iray-clouds

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,808

Thank you, MarcCCTx. :-) It looks good, but it is just not exactley, what I am looking for. Stonemason's clouds are done by combining billboards. I need a real 3d cloud for my scene, that shows a person sitting on top of a cloud. Because this scene shoold work on different camera views, I need a 3d cloud.

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,576

I've messed around quiote a bit with volumetrics in Iray, and while I've been successful at producing atmospheric effects and God-rays (more than pleased with the results), I've failed miserably at coaxing volumetric clouds out of Iray in DS. While I've learned a bunch in the attempts, I would happily shell out for the ability to do this.

- Greg

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890

The problem is that we really need the ability to have volume effects that ramp or vary over depth, rather than the current simple all or nothing effect.

• The problem is that we really need the ability to have volume effects that ramp or vary over depth, rather than the current simple all or nothing effect.

Even if Iray had better volumetric support, DAZ Studio itself lacks a volume primitive.  You'd still have to use polygonal geomtry.  The professional 3D tools represent volumes differently than polygons, such as using voxels in VDBs.  We'd need both if we want convincing fog/clouds/smoke/fire/heterogenous liquids that overlap with geometry in the scene.

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

These ones might be more what you are looking for.
    3D Toon Clouds for Iray and 3Delight
    Don't be fooled by the name, they render up quite nice.

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315
    JamesJAB said:

These ones might be more what you are looking for.
    3D Toon Clouds for Iray and 3Delight
    Don't be fooled by the name, they render up quite nice.

They also make great soap suds!
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/180946/ooooh-how-about-that-just-in-time/p1