Changing normals through hex

NeilrNeilr Posts: 69
edited December 1969 in New Users

OK I have a prop, a sword, I have done several in the past and had no issues, but this one when sent to lux render it shows that I have several areas with the normals going in the wrong direction. I tried sending it to hex and then reversing the normals but when it comes back to Daz Studio no changes were made. I have searched but found nothing that helps me with this. When I send it back to daz I get teh window with the morph , and morph type and I click ok...then nothing...when I render the normals are still bad...so I am missing something. If you can't tell I am not very well versed in Hex...and doing morphs is totally new to me as I generally like to make props that don't rely on them...so far. Any help would be great thanks.

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited March 2013

Step one Save in Hex as Obj after fixing the Normals. Step two if you made the Morphs for the Obj with the Flipped normals they are installed and ready with the Normals Flipped because that was the Mesh settings at the install of the saved morphs. Step three LOAD the Fixed Obj file into DS, Do not send from Hex to DS. Now finish the Morphs and Prop from this File.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • NeilrNeilr Posts: 69
    edited December 1969

OK thanks for the response.The problem with this is that the prop has several different surfaces and when saved as obj hex saves it as all one surface.

edited December 1969

Set your Material Zones in Hex before the Save.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Every shading domain and materials must have its own name and materials assigned to it in Hexagon, or it is Daz Studio that 'makes everything one'. Little communication problem between the two programs. Once an item is in Daz Studio, then you can give the same colour to multiple areas without losing the shading domains.

• TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

Normals tip in Hex, switch off two-sided lighting, Preferences/3D Display/Advanced..two-sides lighting, it will show the reversed faces as darker.

edited December 1969

Normals tip in Hex, switch off two-sided lighting, Preferences/3D Display/Advanced..two-sides lighting, it will show the reversed faces as darker.
    Nice tip, Did not know that one,
    edited December 1969

Well it is to bad that I loose all my uv mapping and surfaces through the bridge and have to redo it all over again. I think I will have to find a way to do it in my other modeling program so the normals are not flipped, or just not use this item in any lux renders as it renders fine in 3Delight.

edited December 1969

Ok I am not sure why I lost all my UV coords when I changed the normals in my previouse try, but I decided I had to find a way to get it working...well it worked , though I had to actually take some time and learn a bit abut hex to get it done, now who knows I might start using it more :-).....Any way I got it all fixed and my sword turned into a prop that works in 3Delight and Luxus. Here is a quick render in luxus only about 250s/p...about an hour...

King_of_the_Dead.jpg
    786 x 1024 - 632K
    edited December 1969

Still not sure what I did wrong the first time I was working in hex to get the normals correct but it sure made me think hex sucked .. I was wrong I am finding it very easy to get my object into hex and then get the normals right.. Also I am able to create the prop in D|S and then on the prop adjust my materials for Luxus, then save teh set as a material preset. I was worried that the luxus material properties would have to be imported to the prop every time but the material preset loads them on just fine. Here is a sword I broke donw into parts then fixed all the bad normals and imported it into D|S added my material setting and created a prop. Loaded the prop and then re-applied the luxus mats to it, saved those as a preset and it is all set...just gotta do the meta data....now that I am confident I can return to working on my modular castle project....

Here is a quick luxus render (50s/p) of my Orc Slayer:

Ord_Sword.jpg
    786 x 1024 - 664K
    edited December 1969

I so think you have it kicked now. NICE swords by the way.

edited December 1969

Thanks, I am still trying to get the mats right for the orc sword I want a rough look nothing to polished maybe some rust...but it is just two mats the sword itself and the leather strapping for the hilt. here is a pic of them before I started tweaking the mats for Luxus. And the orc sword is just a very basic mat I threw on to see how it looks compaired to the others, like I said still have aome work to do in it..

swords.jpg
    786 x 1024 - 716K
    edited December 1969

did some work on this one and am ok with the materials...but still trying ot find a good way to get them better...Luxus render only aobut 70s/p.

Orc_Sword.jpg
    786 x 1024 - 639K
    edited December 1969

Do you mean Group the objects into one single item?

edited December 1969

No I got that grouping figured out though I am thinking that messing with that when I first started with hex is what messed me up, I didn't realize that it maintained my grouping as I had it at import. but I found it much easier to break the sword down into separate parts and then parent them together in D|S.