August 2017 – DAZ 3D New User Challenge – Free Month

Comments

• HighElfHighElf Posts: 326

I got so far, as I could right now, with the shaders and free stuff. I've done some postwork techniques I learned in the past few days. And hope like the result. :) 

So here the most current version of "Oh Sch..."

Scene designed in DAZ and rendered with IRay

Models are : Elitabeth for V8, SubDragonLE

Additional Stuff: Skyscraper Balcony from Shared CG and the HDRI "Barcelona Rooftops" from sIBL Archive.

Postwork done with GIMP. Mainly highlighting and a gaußian blur.

NewbieContest_FreeMonth04.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • NoswenNoswen Posts: 358

Works completely fine in a test render without the rest of my scene in there... I think it's time to just re-create this now I have more of an idea what I'm doing, I must have broken some setting somewhere.

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

Here we go with version f. Actually rendered it a couple of days ago but didn't get around to posting until just now.

Looking good Shinji.  I'm not sure what these guys are up to but I will avoid that hallway.

Noswen said:
    daybird said:
    Noswen said:

Ok, posting up to keep myself going here. I've been trying, and failing, to create a cylinder primitive that emits light as a beam from a weapon. No matter what I seem to do I just can't get it to emit light, does anyone have a simple explanation of how to get this working or what I can check to see if I have a setting wrnong somewhere?

For the image I've now added a second figure chasing our main character and also placed a gun in her hand and aimed it a little past the main character. I have not positioned the cylinder yet as I'm trying to get it to glow first.

Are you rendering in Iray or 3DL

This are my steps in Iray.)

Not sure if it helps you, but one big error I made in the beginning was, not to select the primitive in the surface tab when I tried to implying the shader.

1. select your primitive in scene tab

2. select your primitive also in surface tab ( in the left upper corner under the three tabs presets/editor/shader baker you should see --> shader: Daz studio default

3. now change to your content librarie and search for the emissive shader and click on him

4. change back to surface tab ... now there should stay Shader: Iray Uber

5. click on your primitive in the list below that and there on default, now you should see a line called emission. (higher luminance gives a higher glow effect)

One day I will remember to actually state whether I'm using iray or 3delight. I am using iray.

These steps helped a lot, turns out the emissive shader is hidden by the Filter by Context option so I wasn't able to see it before. indecision Now that it's applied it definitely does something, doesn't seem to be outputting light beyond itself yet (even at 10,000,000 luminance!), so that's the next step top try to work on.

Thanks! :-)

If you click on the drop down arrow for Luminance Units you will see 6 options:  cd/m^2 is the default.  The other options are:  kcd/m^2, cd/ft^2, cd/cm^2, lm and W.

I usually use cd/cm^2 but kcd/m^2 also seems to allow the use of much smaller numbers, ie:  not so many zeros to get a change in the luminance output.

Moonlight Test Arrow.png
    1920 x 1036 - 998K
    daybird said:
    Noswen said:

Ok, posting up to keep myself going here. I've been trying, and failing, to create a cylinder primitive that emits light as a beam from a weapon. No matter what I seem to do I just can't get it to emit light, does anyone have a simple explanation of how to get this working or what I can check to see if I have a setting wrnong somewhere?

For the image I've now added a second figure chasing our main character and also placed a gun in her hand and aimed it a little past the main character. I have not positioned the cylinder yet as I'm trying to get it to glow first.

Are you rendering in Iray or 3DL

This are my steps in Iray.)

Not sure if it helps you, but one big error I made in the beginning was, not to select the primitive in the surface tab when I tried to implying the shader.

1. select your primitive in scene tab

2. select your primitive also in surface tab ( in the left upper corner under the three tabs presets/editor/shader baker you should see --> shader: Daz studio default

3. now change to your content librarie and search for the emissive shader and click on him

4. change back to surface tab ... now there should stay Shader: Iray Uber

5. click on your primitive in the list below that and there on default, now you should see a line called emission. (higher luminance gives a higher glow effect)

So sorry for forgetting to mention you need to choose the item in the Scene Tab and the Surfaces Tab.  I do this automatically and forget to actually mention it.  Shame, Shame

• AloreeaAloreea Posts: 285
    sueya said:

Title: The Freedom to dance in the rain

I have rotated the rain plane and enlarged it so I hope there are no edges showing.

Wow, nice rain! I love your pic!

• daybirddaybird Posts: 648
    HighElf said:

I got so far, as I could right now, with the shaders and free stuff. I've done some postwork techniques I learned in the past few days. And hope like the result. :) 

So here the most current version of "Oh Sch..."

Scene designed in DAZ and rendered with IRay

Models are : Elitabeth for V8, SubDragonLE

Additional Stuff: Skyscraper Balcony from Shared CG and the HDRI "Barcelona Rooftops" from sIBL Archive.

Postwork done with GIMP. Mainly highlighting and a gaußian blur.

Wonderful work, but I think you got an even better effect, if the dragon will look at her.

( And btw. dem Bildtitel nach haben wir scheinbar noch ein weiteres deutsches Mitglied hier, oder täusche ich mich?)

• Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,163
    edited August 2017

Here we go with version f. Actually rendered it a couple of days ago but didn't get around to posting until just now.

Looking good Shinji.  I'm not sure what these guys are up to but I will avoid that hallway.

Here's even more reason to avoid this area, the cyber girl I added two versions back, well I made the barrels of her gun glow as if she's just fired it off. That also explaines why Lizardman is shouting over at her.

august2017g.png
    1092 x 872 - 2M
    Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on
    edited August 2017

Tried to adjust the light to a night scene. I think it looks much better now but the torchlight looks grainy and I don't know why.

18.8.png
    1800 x 1200 - 3M
    Post edited by daybird on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795
    sueya said:

Title:The freedom to dance in the rain

I have made another version by following Linwelly's tutorial. I have used just one rain plane in front of the girl . Lighting has not changed. 

Nice improvement with the rain, I would suggest to use several planes as well behind her and then try some depth of field.

edited August 2017

I have now recreated my scene from scratch and got the emissive shader working this time.

Still needs to have the poses re-jigged as these are mostly just stock poses with the only change being making the gun being aimed in the right direction, as well as a few other oddities such as the floor being exceptionally reflective of the laser bolt... and I just noticed the laser bolt casts a shadow.

Escape 3.jpg
    618 x 1000 - 111K
    Post edited by Noswen on
    edited August 2017

I adjusted the light once more. The scene is now much brighter, but I don't get some reflections on the water.

19.8-2.png
    1800 x 1200 - 3M
  • GarrettDRGarrettDR Posts: 229
    Noswen said:

I have now recreated my scene from scratch and got the emissive shader working this time.

Still needs to have the poses re-jigged as these are mostly just stock poses with the only change being making the gun being aimed in the right direction, as well as a few other oddities such as the floor being exceptionally reflective of the laser bolt... and I just noticed the laser bolt casts a shadow.

I like this view better than your original. Cant wait to see it as you work out the kinks!

edited August 2017

Removed a few of the annoying niggles from the scene by setting the glossiness of the pavement to 0% stopping the laser bolt's reflection and setting the laser bolt's cutout opacity to 0.1 stopping it from casting much of a shadow. Also reposed the two chasing figures a little and darkened the scene a fraction more.

Escape 4.jpg
    618 x 1000 - 95K
    Post edited by Noswen on
    edited August 2017

I trying a new perspective...better?

new 20.8.png
    2560 x 1440 - 7M
    daybird said:

I like this one, gives it more a sense of, I don't know, urgency or imediency perhaps?

• sueyasueya Posts: 826
    edited August 2017

Title :The freedom to dance in the rain

I have added an extra plane for the rain and added depth of field. I played around with the DOF until I got an effect I liked.

Girlinrainv4DOF.jpg
    1001 x 800 - 129K
    Post edited by sueya on
  • GarrettDRGarrettDR Posts: 229
    Noswen said:
    daybird said:

I like this one, gives it more a sense of, I don't know, urgency or imediency perhaps?

Wow! the change made all the difference! Very nice!

daybird said:

This version is definitly stronger. I prefere this on.

So some days of this month are left, and I have learned a lot in this thread and about different stuff. So I tried some things, I've learned about emissive materials, shaders, lighting, IBL and Postwork.

"Ein schöner Morgen" (a beautiful morning)

DAZ Studio for the scene

Model: Elizabeth for V8, Charming Hair for G2F, SiFi-Siren Outfit for G2F

Used Shaders: OOT IrayPair Hair (color and gloss), NVIDIA vMaterials (Drywall), Emissive Base Shader, !Uber Base Shader, for the outfit

The rest: I used two planes and a spotlight to project a simple b/w bar pattern from one plane on the other. Elizabeth is placed between the two planes. I found this neat effect on a german channel, and wanted to try it out.

Postwork with GIMP: I tried smth more colorful this time. Not the typical glow I'm used to. I highlighted the eyes and the lips. Also I turned the saturation of the colors up, and used a gaussian blur.

NewbieContest_FreeMonth_03_02.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • AloreeaAloreea Posts: 285
    daybird said:

Ooh, I love the new perspective!

HighElf said:

So some days of this month are left, and I have learned a lot in this thread and about different stuff. So I tried some things, I've learned about emissive materials, shaders, lighting, IBL and Postwork.

DAZ Studio for the scene

Used Shaders: OOT IrayPair Hair (color and gloss), NVIDIA vMaterials (Drywall), Emissive Base Shader, !Uber Base Shader, for the outfit

The rest: I used two planes and a spotlight to project a simple b/w bar pattern from one plane on the other. Elizabeth is placed between the two planes. I found this neat effect on a german channel, and wanted to try it out.

Postwork with GIMP: I tried smth more colorful this time. Not the typical glow I'm used to. I highlighted the eyes and the lips. Also I turned the saturation of the colors up, and used a gaussian blur.

Very soft and warm atmosphere and I like how you posed her, so that the reflection in the eyes are visible.

edited August 2017

Ok, final render I think. 

Freedom after bloodlust.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 4M
  • I like the new angle. Just kind out of for a walk. A very enthusiastic murder walk. 

daybird said:

I adjusted the light once more. The scene is now much brighter, but I don't get some reflections on the water.

I looks quite nice.  The shadows are nice and soft and the light from the torch is visible.  Your perseverance is paying off.

Noswen said:

Removed a few of the annoying niggles from the scene by setting the glossiness of the pavement to 0% stopping the laser bolt's reflection and setting the laser bolt's cutout opacity to 0.1 stopping it from casting much of a shadow. Also reposed the two chasing figures a little and darkened the scene a fraction more.

Looking really good. 

Noswen said:
    daybird said:

It also gave an opportunity to add more characters and background.  More for the eye to see.

sueya said:

Title :The freedom to dance in the rain

I have added an extra plane for the rain and added depth of field. I played around with the DOF until I got an effect I liked.

I have been watching it pour down rain off and on all day.  You did a very nice job with your rain.

HighElf said:

DAZ Studio for the scene

I really like the contemplative look you achieved.  She looks like she is a million miles away.

One thing you could try and work with though is her hair.  She has her head tilted and her hair should be falling a bit away from her face on her left side (our right).

Job well done.

• Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,163
    edited August 2017

After grabbing the new genesis 8 male figure I had to try and bring him into the crew.

august2017h.png
    1092 x 872 - 2M
    Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on