The Bend Utility - how do you use it?

wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

In the Utilities Tab, between Taper and Group, there is a Bend Utility...

How is this used? I can't figure it out....

Comments

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

1. Draw a curve in the shape you want the bend to be
    2. With the shape you want to bend selected - make sure you are in object selection mode - select the bend tool and click on the curve.

You need to have sufficient geometry to make a good bend and it is best used in an orthographic view.

There is another bend tool next to that one which places a cage around the object to be bent - manipulate the cage with the mouse pointer to bend.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Roygee... am I wrong in that it only works in 2 dimensions, not 3?

edited December 1969

Sadly, yes:)

With sufficient geometry and care you can get a 3-dimension bend by doing it several times - bend in one dimension, validate, make a new curve, bend in another dimension. I suggest you practice on something unimportant to get the feel before committing. Have a play using alternate combinations of both methods:)

edited December 1969

actually, that sounds bad, but in the end, it's probably better... especially for my purposes. Thanks again!

edited December 1969

No problemo:)

It all depends on what you want to make - for instance, bendy pipes are best done drawing a curve and adding thickness - many ways of achieving a result:)

• RedSquareRedSquare Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Although Roy implied it by saying ortho' is the way to do it,

I cannot stress how important it is to make sure your angle of view is at 90 degrees to the object AND the curve profile. Otherwise you can click away all day and nothing will happen. :)

edited December 1969

Thanks Red. I did manage to figure that part out. When you work with Pre UVMapped surfaces the way I do, this becomes a very, very useful tool.

• TheBrushTheBrush Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

There's a great tutorial on Youtube from johnnybevo which helps immensely.

edited December 1969

Thanks Brush... just subscribed to his channel. I might even have to break down and give Blender another try...