Star Trek Builders Thread!

Comments

• Charlie TunaCharlie Tuna Posts: 24
    edited July 2012

TimG said:
    TimG said:
    Hi hi.

Need a hand picking a ship for my own Trek comic, a bit stumped at the moment, so need some suggestions, please.

Happens 10 years after Nemesis,
    Deep Space Exploration Mission,
    Older Ship (for a first time captain)
    Not a battleship, but having enough to fight with to protect itself if need be,
    Preferably one who's numbers equal to 9 (it's a thing I have)

Thank for any help. :D

that Galaxy Class would be an older ship that is still in operation and designed for exploration

Only you'd need more than 9 people to run it--unless you dusted off Daystrom's old M-5 unit....& you'd probably still want to keep Data close by and handy..... ;)

If Ryuu only wants a crew of 9, then I don't think you can go much larger than an Antares class - and that would be pushing it.Sorry, I thought you were responding to Wsterdan--who was assuming Castellan's focus on "9" meant crew size.

Actually, a few rather large ships have been automated to work with crews in the single digits--Enterprise (1701A) modified by Scott & the Stargazer, modified by Daimon Bok quickly pop into mind.

You're probably right, though. Antares might be the size she'd have to be is you don't expect anything to go wrong...thus the caveat I had mentioned about M-5 & Data ;)
    I believe the numbers he's referring to is the ship's hull number, not the crew compliment :)

Post edited by Charlie Tuna on
  • bwaomegabwaomega Posts: 220
    edited December 1969

And the modified Enterprise was not the NCC-1701A (first appearing at the end of Voyage Home), but the refitted NCC-1701.

• Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 617
    edited July 2012

I believe the numbers he's referring to is the ship's hull number, not the crew compliment :)
    I think Castellan was, too.

But we all know how topics can branch out with a mind of their own---& what factors and limitations might exist for small-crew scouts seems like an interesting one to discuss.

Oh, & thanks for the correction, Bwaomega. You're right, it was the Refitted original.

Post edited by Ryuu@AMcCF on
  • bwaomegabwaomega Posts: 220
    edited December 1969

I think Castellan was, too.

But we all know how topics can branch out with a mind of their own---& what factors and limitations might exist for small-crew scouts seems like an interesting one to discuss.

Oh, & thanks for the correction, Bwaomega. You're right, it was the Refitted original.

It can get confusing, since they made a major change to the hull without changing the hull number, then gave us a new ship with the same hull type and the modified hull number. Then followed it up with a new hull number for each new hull type.

• TheCastellanTheCastellan Posts: 698
    edited July 2012

TimG said:
    TimG said:
    Hi hi.

Need a hand picking a ship for my own Trek comic, a bit stumped at the moment, so need some suggestions, please.

Happens 10 years after Nemesis,
    Deep Space Exploration Mission,
    Older Ship (for a first time captain)
    Not a battleship, but having enough to fight with to protect itself if need be,
    Preferably one who's numbers equal to 9 (it's a thing I have)

Thank for any help. :D

that Galaxy Class would be an older ship that is still in operation and designed for exploration

Only you'd need more than 9 people to run it--unless you dusted off Daystrom's old M-5 unit....& you'd probably still want to keep Data close by and handy..... ;)

If Ryuu only wants a crew of 9, then I don't think you can go much larger than an Antares class - and that would be pushing it.

No, I mean 9 as in the numbers equaling 9
    Like this 1+7+0+1=9

:)

Looking for a ship who's number equals 9, and an older ship, and not an Enterprise.

And to settle things, the crew's going to be an average size.

Post edited by TheCastellan on
  • mdbruffymdbruffy Posts: 2,345
    edited July 2012

I have an older character in my next story that I need a Hair model for. But we seem to be living in the world of "Logan's Run". No one seems to have any thing for any one over 30. Can anyone help me out with this?

Walter-ref-WEB.jpg
    800 x 522 - 149K
    Post edited by mdbruffy on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    I have an older character in my next story that I need a Hair model for. But we seem to be living in the world of "Logan's Run". No one seems to have any thing for any one over 30. Can anyone help me out with this?

I don't know what the extremes of the "receding" and "thinner" morphs look like on http://www.daz3d.com/shop/mature-mark-hair/
    For balding hair there are a couple of freebies: AprilYSH has Mitch Hair, Kozaburo has Namihei Hair.

edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:

I don't know what the extremes of the "receding" and "thinner" morphs look like on http://www.daz3d.com/shop/mature-mark-hair/
    For balding hair there are a couple of freebies: AprilYSH has Mitch Hair, Kozaburo has Namihei Hair.

I have the mature mark hair- I'll have to take a closer look at it's morphs. Where are those freebies at?

edited December 1969
  • TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,221
    edited December 1969

No, I mean 9 as in the numbers equaling 9
    Like this 1+7+0+1=9

:)

Looking for a ship who's number equals 9, and an older ship, and not an Enterprise.

And to settle things, the crew's going to be an average size.

maybe the Nebula class would fit your needs

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Nebula_class

• edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:

Hi,

Content Paradise has this hair for M4. I use it for my older men.
    http://www.contentparadise.com/productDetails.aspx?id=20902

It handles nicely in DAZ 3.

Also from Renderosity
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/red-for-m4/88552

It's a bit expensive but the results are nice.

Hope it helps and thank you for all the contributions.

2a2.jpg
    452 x 614 - 96K
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:

Hi,

Content Paradise has this hair for M4. I use it for my older men.
    http://www.contentparadise.com/productDetails.aspx?id=20902

It handles nicely in DAZ 3.

Also from Renderosity
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/red-for-m4/88552

It's a bit expensive but the results are nice.

Hope it helps and thank you for all the contributions.

Red for M4 is on sale right now- $16.00.

• ReisormocapReisormocap Posts: 146
    edited December 1969

After quite some time watching this and prior Trek threads, I've decided to push ahead on a hobby project. Spent much of the weekend setting up ships, and also working on some characters. Here are a couple of characters, one of which uses Mylochka's excellent Orion skin.

Both characters are based on Daz Genesis.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Orion_Female_Captain_002A.jpg
    586 x 600 - 33K
    Fedrat_Officer_Female_001A.jpg
    586 x 600 - 29K
  • GRFK DSGN UnlimitedGRFK DSGN Unlimited Posts: 1,036
    edited December 1969

Page 9 of The Final Frontier

Had to make an edit because I had changed the name of the Ambassador later in the story...

More of it can be found here...

09_Page_09A_preview.jpg
    776 x 600 - 497K
  • ReisormocapReisormocap Posts: 146
    edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:
    Check the boots - they are a mess (not your fault - autofit doesn't always work) - I keep them off screen.

Thanks for the excellent and helpful feedback ssgbryan. Yes, the boots are ugly - I'm looking at fixes for them at the moment. I'm still working on the details and I'll be posting some new images once I'm a bit further along in the process.

I do have a storyline and characters developed - these are the first two tests. The focus at the moment is working on getting Genesis to be the core figure of this project. The flexibility offered by Genesis is astounding, but as with all flexibility, there is a learning curve. I expect that these two figures will be rebuilt several times until I have things behaving the way that I want them to behave and then the lessons learned can be applied to other characters. There are a dozen core characters that will be built, along with several secondary characters. Fortunately, most of them will wear Starfleet uniforms, so once that issue is solved, it should be a lot easier going forwards.

ssgbryan said:

Is everybody going to be the exact same height? This is an issue I have noticed - everyone is 5'10" or higher. Genesis allows you to scale folks to different heights - use it. There is quite a bit more diversity in the non-Daz figures as well as the DAZ Gen3 figures, don't be afraid to use them. In my fan-fic as an example, the CNO of Starfleet is based on the Rikishi figure from 'rosity. The Miki character gets you a petite (5'3") Asian, Stephanie gets you an average sized female (5'4")

What are the age of your characters? Most of the character morphs for Genesis tend to be young people. Ship captains are going to be in their 40's so be prepared to adjust the body to match the character's age. Remember, the "supermen" lost the Eugenics Wars, so not everyone is going to be young and beautiful.

Young? No. Beautiful? Why not - in the latter half of the 24th century, the ability of people to alter their appearances should be far beyond what today's cosmetics industry offers. :)

In all seriousness, Starfleet characters should be fit, given that it is a quasi-military organization. Other characters may vary more from the Starfleet norm.

I also want to focus as much as possible on Genesis. Getting clothing to fit on non-Genesis figures I expect will be more trouble than it's worth and -- this is an important part -- developing motion capture for one skeleton will be a lot easier than applying motion capture for three or six skeletons.

Are any of your characters married? Do they have families? Ever notice how in Star Trek almost everyone is single? If you don't have families, your ship is going to "smell like the 70's".

Are there going to be any humans that are NOT Caucasians? In most fan-fic that I have seen, Starfleet only accepts Caucasians from either Western Europe or the United States. At best, there is 1 token minority - Most humans are not Caucasians, so plan accordingly. Also check genders - there are a lot more female options for genesis, so be careful that you don't overload the ship with 1 gender.

On the Von der Tann for instance, the ship captain is Russian (F) the chief engineer is Egyptian (F), the XO is Andorian (F), the navigator (M) & helmsmen( F) are Chinese & Japanese, the communications officer is Vulcan (M), the science/cartography officer is Orion (M), the electronic warfare officer (M) and the damage control officers (F) are African and the weapons officer is Indian (M) - India Indian, not North American Indian.

Build a cast list. Mine is in an excel spreadsheet, 1 for each ship or facility. My columns consist of the following:

Section Position Rank Name Sex Race Alien? Mesh Morph

Very handy for continuity and it lets you see what you are and are not using.

We have a pretty good mix - Orions and Caucasian humans you've already seen. There will be Bajorans, Romulans, Vulcans, and people from the four corners of the Earth. The ship's captain is also a Russian (F), the exec is North American (M), and we add in, among others, South Americans, Africans, Asians for human characters.

Re: ships - foundation3d is a great place to get ships. I kit-bash the DMetlesits ships. They are very easy to pull into Hexagon and disassemble into component parts to create new ships, like my Von der Tann or a Federation Survey Cruiser like the Vasco Dos Gama

Foundation 3d is a great place! They have provided the source material for much of the starships in my fleet, and I've got at least one ship I have to scratch-build, which is a project for the coming weeks.

Thanks again for the help.

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,221
    edited December 1969

Did anyone else go to the movie theater screenings of TNG season 1 remastered episodes last night? IT was through Fathom, they showed DataLore and Where No One Has Gone Before.

The colors and details are amazing, sometimes a bit too clear. You can really see all the set details - to the carpet on the walls of the turbolift to the plywood paneling on the bridge.

• blutobluto Posts: 823
    edited December 1969

Page 9 of The Final Frontier

Had to make an edit because I had changed the name of the Ambassador later in the story...

More of it can be found here...

oh , !! i like kinera

edited December 1969

Thank you. He's one of my favorites.

David

edited July 2012

Anyone know where I can find a good full-lenth pic of the Federation President's outfit? The scene in ST:VI only shows him from the neck up.

President-close-up-1-WEB.jpg
    732 x 666 - 157K
  • crownlioncrownlion Posts: 117
    edited December 1969

SCIS on starships. make interesting new show maybe

SCIS.jpg
    800 x 800 - 155K
    edited December 1969
    edited July 2012

For those who are interested page 10 of my web comic is up. Cant post it here because it contains a wee bit of nudity. Sorry.

It can be found Link removed

David

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

I'm sorry, your link had to be removed - if you want to link to images containing nudity they need to be behind filters, so that people have to be logged in to see them - the Renderosity and Deviant Art galleries both work for that.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited July 2012

Not perfect but here's a little something for those into brainwashing ....

http://www.sharecg.com/v/63839/view/11/Poser/ChinGuard

Post edited by patience55 on
  • RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,574
    edited December 1969

"Security obstacle, uh, 'neutralized'..."

Looks like M'Ress has dispatched one of Mr. Flint's M-4 robots and is now reporting her status. Maybe Flint patented the design and sold them.

Aiko 3...DAZ.com
    Body textures...Daio
    Bump maps...Verge Visible
    Face and body morphs...Beth Capsces
    "Paw" morphs...JENelson (aka Achronicity)
    Tail prop...Little Dragon
    Uniform...Oshikai
    Hut...Ptrope
    M4 robot...Ptrope
    Weather vane...Bluto
    Dragon's Keep...AntFarm
    Twister sky-dome...AntFarm
    Tricorder...XCalPro
    Phaser...MechMaster
    Communicator...MattyManx/Sgreco
    Mane...Mylochka

If I've forgotten anybody, let me know and I'll update the list.

Sincerely,

Bill

MRess-Pants-J-3.jpg
    750 x 750 - 92K
    edited July 2012

Looks good,Bill.

For those that might be intrested, here's where I stand with the President. Haven't started on his face yet, but I think I have the suit about as close as I'm going to get it. There are no real good references to go by and that black-on-black doesn't let much detail show. Good thing he's only going to be seen in a crowd scene, on a viewscreen.

Presidents-suit--test-rend.jpg
    800 x 548 - 71K
    President-close-up-WEB.jpg
    382 x 800 - 144K
  • MotoTsumeMotoTsume Posts: 520
    edited December 1969

Still hoping to see the Jem Hadar and Founder morphs :P

This discussion has been closed.