Cover Art WIP

2»

Comments

• BrotherloboBrotherlobo Posts: 495
    edited December 1969

After thinking about it, I replaced Tamina (the female assassin) with Lalith....their nemesis. I tried to capture her evilness with a sneer.

Comments are welcomed.

Darkness-Falls-Cover---the-Last-Stand-4.jpg
    1333 x 2000 - 1M
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I for one think you have done very well here, and the subtle play on the word three in title and Images captures the mind as well. I think your need to commission cover art is well behind you now. I would so check the Blurb if I saw this one.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I for one think you have done very well here, and the subtle play on the word three in title and Images captures the mind as well. I think your need to commission cover art is well behind you now. I would so check the Blurb if I saw this one.

Thanks Jaderail, that means a lot coming from you.

This community has helped me more and more with encouraging words and even harsh criticism (when needed). I watch, I experiment and I learn. Working with DAZ3D and this community has become a stress reliever whenever the words aren't flowing or I just need to find inspiration. Thanks.

edited December 1969

This community has helped me more and more with encouraging words and even harsh criticism (when needed). I watch, I experiment and I learn. Working with DAZ3D and this community has become a stress reliever whenever the words aren't flowing or I just need to find inspiration. Thanks.
    Thank You, you may not know it but you inspire me. I failed at my attempt for a art career. I moved on and did other things. I just try to help others with my four years of Graphic art classes I paid for.
    edited December 1969

One of my 'test readers' and a good friend mentioned that he didn't like the way the lights affected the Dark Elves in my previous version. Once he mentioned it...I couldn't help but notice the same 'muddy' skin tones.

After a bit reworking of clothes, positions and lights....I came up with this. Suggestions and comments welcomed.

Darkness-Falls-Cover---the-Last-Stand.jpg
    1333 x 2000 - 1M
  • John SimsJohn Sims Posts: 360
    edited December 1969

Hi A. I love the concept and wish you all the best with your project.

I really like the battle scene but there doesn't seem to be enough differentiation between the background scene and the foreground characters. They look like a badly drawn perspective of the same scene.

I can appreciate how pleased you are with the battle scene but is that putting too greater emphasis on your desire to show so much of it? Perhaps spread it across the spine to the back cover to extend its use?

I was given to wonder if you ditched the too small characters from the bottom of the page and over laid the principal character Such as in post #7. This would show greater separation between the scenes and give your hero more emphasis. It also has a greater link with the previous covers while still looking more fresh and dynamic.

edited December 1969

John Sims said:
    Hi A. I love the concept and wish you all the best with your project.

I really like the battle scene but there doesn't seem to be enough differentiation between the background scene and the foreground characters. They look like a badly drawn perspective of the same scene.

I can appreciate how pleased you are with the battle scene but is that putting too greater emphasis on your desire to show so much of it? Perhaps spread it across the spine to the back cover to extend its use?

I was given to wonder if you ditched the too small characters from the bottom of the page and over laid the principal character Such as in post #7. This would show greater separation between the scenes and give your hero more emphasis. It also has a greater link with the previous covers while still looking more fresh and dynamic.

Thanks for your suggestion John. Rest assured, it didn't fall on deaf ears. I must admit, I did not do the first two covers in this series. Both were commission works. They are attached below.

However, as my 3D art skills have grown, it is my desire to do my own covers. I am planning on keeping the back cover and spine the same as the first two books for uniformity. Although I have 'tweaked' the cover a bit more. The dark elf sorceress (antagonist) is pretty much the puppetmaster of my two heroes, hence her new positioning but she always in in the background pulling the strings...so I set her opacity at 80% and added smoke and fire to suggest destruction. I also tweaked the lighting and shadows on the heroes.

Suggestions and comments welcomed.

Darkness-Falls-Cover---the-Last-Stand-V2-(smaller).jpg
    1200 x 1800 - 1M
    Enter-the-Wolf-eBook.jpg
    1170 x 1825 - 2M
    Coming-of-the-Wolf---eBook.jpg
    1167 x 1824 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Thought I would just update everyone on the final version of the cover for my latest fantasy novel.
    Also, I want to thank everyone for their suggestions and advice.

Darkness-Falls-Front-Cover-(small).jpg
    800 x 1200 - 740K
    edited December 1969

Of course, since I am always writing I have another fantasy novel almost ready for publication.This will be book 1 of a different series.

The basic plot: a group of online gamers are pulled into the game by a mysterious being and become their avatars. Shortly after they cross over, the Outlanders are attacked and quickly realize how different and dangerous their new reality can really be. Vowing to return home, the survivors set off to find a way back to the real world. However, they soon discover that they aren't the first gamers to be pulled into the game, just the latest. And more than that, they have become pawns in a game that is beyond their control.

Here is my latest WIP Cover for this novel. Suggestions and comments are welcomed.

Lost-Lands-Cover-WIP5-small.jpg
    1333 x 2000 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Nice Covers. Love them both, very well composed.

edited December 1969

Thanks Jaderail. That means a lot coming from you.