ANY INTEREST IN STARTING A BRYCE RENDER CHALLENGE ?

ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

OK, we are doing really well with the render thread that Rashad started, 280+ pages so far in this new forum.

So now how about we take it a stage further.

How about starting our own render challenge.?

If there is any interest I am willing to put up a GC every month for the first prize place. Maybe $20

Comments

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Or you could just send David Brinnen $20 every month and save us all some time and effort. :lol:

Seriously: Count me in.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Yes, great idea. Though these are early times, I’m sure you have rules etc., in mind, but simplicity of submissions should rule. Some contests I’ve seen over time have so many requirements that they just don’t entice the entrant to get involved.

Monthly? Hmmm...not sure about that one - it may end up getting tired. How would just one BIG contest with even BIGGER prizes fair? Not sure how setting up a cash prize would be done (some kind of anonymous Donate button setup etc.,), but, perhaps, members, or DAZ could also get involved by donating some model(s) etc. But, as said, these are early times, and just some ramblings.

Jay
    PS. what is GC?

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

That'd be great! Especially since the Rendo challenge is gone.
    I'd prefer monthly and I'd happily participate without the Gift Card.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I agree Dan, the pure challenges are great fun, just thought I would add a little incentive to get it up and running.

The trouble with having big contests with large prizes is that they get to be much less fun as people take part in order to win the prizes, and not with the idea of just joining in for the fun of it.

In the MO forum DAZ 3D did offer to increase the prizes on the long running Inspirations Contest, and were told by those who regularly take part that they didn't want that, as the contest was fun as it stood.

There was quite a bit if interest in the New Users one, even though we only ended up with a few finished renders, Was why when I saw that the Rendo one was being abandoned that we could maybe take up the idea and run with it.

We could even borrow their idea of having the Winner each month choose the theme for the next challenge.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Or you could just send David Brinnen $20 every month and save us all some time and effort. :lol:

to true

who going to pick the winner ?

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Or we could appoint Horo and David as the official judges and as such ineligable for participation for the prize but still free to post up any art they care to share. I mean really with them being such prolific content providers it does seem a bit counter intuitive to allow them to compete against their customer base. :)

• Waleed - JordanWaleed - Jordan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    OK, we are doing really well with the render thread that Rashad started, 280+ pages so far in this new forum.

So now how about we take it a stage further.

How about starting our own render challenge.?

If there is any interest I am willing to put up a GC every month for the first prize place. Maybe $20

I wish you will uniform this Challenge that means : all the participants walk in the same subject , if you say the challenge will be in landscape , mountains , trees , I saw a different conception in your contests , there is not one subject for all the participant they say do what you want to win which in the archives not comfort . I hope you understand on my language ....
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

I am interested, although of course my participation will depend on available time, and interest or lack of good ideas depending on the chosen theme.
    Personally I enjoy the contests with a chance of winning a prize for several reasons; my purchasing ability is not what it used to be so that's a way to get more products, because I find the competition forces me to be a little more critical of my own work and I think helps me improve my work, and of course because it's just plain fun.

• TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited March 2013

Nice one chohole, as for themes I would be really interested to see some landscapes or even portraits done in the style of some of the great artists, to work an attempt of their own version of a Claude Monet or a Turner for example, there are some excellent Brycers here and I am sure they are capable of coming up with some really interesting takes on traditional themes.

Post edited by TapiocaTundra on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I could give it a go. I think how often I participated would depend on the theme, since I'm still in the process of using my pick and shovel on Bryce.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,109
    edited March 2013

Has David won the Stonemason contest? Nope, neither did I (which is much less a surprise, at least to me).

Or we could appoint Horo and David as the official judges and as such ineligable for participation for the prize but still free to post up any art they care to share. I mean really with them being such prolific content providers it does seem a bit counter intuitive to allow them to compete against their customer base. :)

Ah, you think we'll provide the incentive and it wouldn't make sense to win what we'be already laboured on. Nice try ;)

Monthly? Hmmm...not sure about that one - it may end up getting tired.

Well, I'd say participate in the month you've got the time or a theme is up where you feel you're good at.

Seriously - I think a theme monthly or bi-monthly would be helpful. Then, we'll need clear rules how to judge an entry. Is post production permitted or not; may we use external programs to model, use Poser props and DAZ characters? Such things.

Post edited by Horo on
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited March 2013

~ROFL~ I was thinking the same thing. ;-)

Count me in too, time permitting. I'd definitely like to see more Bryce renders , and I think a challenge is a good way to perhaps get more participation.

I agree with Horo's comment about needing defined rules, and I think once we're underway, an announcement in the Commons forum about it might get some more Brycers who don't participate here in the Bryce Discussion forum on a regular basis.

Post edited by Miss B on
    edited December 1969

One suggestion that might be helpful: Allow as much advance notice of the theme as possible and reasonable, especially since depending on the scene it can take several days to render, and (at least for me) it usually takes many iterations and test renders to get things the way I want them, even if I DON'T have to research how to achieve certain effects on top of that. (Of course I might be the only one this happens too...)

For example, if the next month's theme was chosen halfway through the current month, that would give us a month and a half instead of just a month to get it done, even though the contest happens every month (or whatever the selected time period is.)

edited December 1969

Well we could start on April Ist, seems like an auspicious day to start a new venture, and the theme could be "A new beginning"

That's one of them nice, general sort of theme's that can be interpreted so many different ways.

Just a thought

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Well we could start on April Ist

Is that a deadline of April first, or starting to accept entries on April 1st with a deadline later?
    edited December 1969

WEll if it is to be a monthly challenge it does seem logical to start it on the 1st day of the month. :roll:

All the contests and challenges I am currently involved with do tend to start at the beginning of the month and end either 4 weeks later or even sometimes on the last day of the month. We even have one contest where the guy running it this month says it ends on the 31th, but we think that is only because he may speak with a lipse :-)

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    WEll if it is to be a monthly challenge it does seem logical to start it on the 1st day of the month.

Indeed it does! (the world does not always work in a logical way, so I thought it best to ask. :-) Thank you for clarifying!)
    edited December 1969

I would like to see no post work and new renders .
    lets start today till the 30first - why wait .

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited March 2013

Ok sounds like fun where do we sign up and what are the rules????

Post edited by Trish on
  • Analog-X64Analog-X64 Posts: 110
    edited December 1969

Sounds like a great idea.. count me in.

edited December 1969

Dragon Egg - soon we have big DRAGON

Dragon_Egg.jpg
    1274 x 695 - 404K
    edited March 2013

Trying to keep rules to a minimum, and as simple as possible.

So far I have this.

All renders must be new renders.

You can enter up to 3 renders.

You must abide by the DAZ 3D forum TOS

Imported content is allowed.

Post Work permitted, but please keep it to a minimum.

Rules may be changed for subsequent Challenges, depending on the theme.

The winner of the April Challenge will get the chance to name the theme for the June contest.

This will then continue with subsequent winners choosing the theme for the next but one contest, which will enable a new contest to start with the minimum of delay between contests.

As far as judging, to select the winners, there are a couple of ways it can be donw without lumbering any one person or group of people with doing it all the time.

We could have a simple popularity vote. I have someone who could help me set this up with a off site voting type thingummy, or we could ask for volunteer judges each month, with judges able to enter but not vote for themselves.

I would like to see this set up with two parts, as we do the NU contests. A WIP thread to show what you are working on, as this sort of thread is great for encouraging those who are not as experienced in setting up renders, and then an actual Contest thread which will contain only the finished renders, for ease of judging.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

volunteer judge here if you need one .

I think we should have no post work - that's the fun of using Bryce

• MrSilusMrSilus Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

I'm up for it!

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited March 2013

If you need any help I'm up for it, this will be fun...I also think no post work everything Bryce except for the models....

bigh; Cool dragon egg!!

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

If you need any help I'm up for it, this will be fun...I also think no post work everything Bryce except for the models....

bigh; Cool dragon egg!!

you did click it then .
    thank you !

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    I think we should have no post work - that's the fun of using Bryce

Pam did say a minimal amount of postwork, and I don't post any of my 3D work online w/o a signature, and sometimes a border.
  • IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690
    edited December 1969

I'll join in, too. I think having a kind of direction helps. I entered two contests this year, and it was fun. I didnt win, but I sure got to see a lot of very interesting work by many folk here at DAZ.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

When does this start and where do we post images?

edited March 2013

Starting date will be April 1st. It seemed a very auspicious day to start something :coolsmile:

On the post work thing. I have to admit I am very ,much a fan of post work, because for me the finished result is what I am going for.

So sometimes Figures especially human figures need a tad of post to correct obvious weaknesses in the way some figures pose, Also If I have, for instance, a cat in the render I don't consider the image finished until the cat is postworked to look as as though it really has fur, not just a cat coloured skin. The same with male figures who have beards, I like to make it so it looks like a beard, and not just a beard shaped mat on the skin if the figure is in close up.

However if this does take off and keep going then I think that whosoever selects the them of the challenge can dictate the rules for that particular challenge.

So one may say no post work, one may say no imports, Bryce native material only, one may even specify that a certain tecnique or action must be used somewhere in the render. There was one fun challenge elsewhere where each render had to include at least one demonstration of an intersect boolean. Another fun one, someone made an object, just a shape really, and the challenge was to see how original you could be in using the object in the render.

Where to post images. I visualise having two threads, a "working thread" where people can post their WIPs and progress renders. and then one actual contest thread where just the finished challenge entries are posted, to keep it nice and clean and easy for the judges.

Post edited by Chohole on