Luxus Plugin Vs Reality Plugin for using Daz Studio with Lux Render

2»

Comments

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

You can do a glossy translucent material with a homogeneus SSS volume in Luxus. In Eluxir you have even more control.

Mind = blown. You have my full attention.
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

I am definitely getting this plugin...I just hope it's still on sale when I can get it.

But...HoF...I'm with you on this. I've done quite a bit of fiddling around with the old LuxRenderDS plugin and came up with some decent skin settings. If Luxus/Eluxir will let me get those settings as presets without a lot of additional work...:-):-):-):-):-):-)

Plus I've been wanting to play with some of the newest Lux materials/features without going the TeleBlender>Blender>LuxBlend route (or the price of the other one). It works, is a viable path to get there, but is tedious and time consuming without many automatic (if any) material conversions...so they all need to be redone, unless you are using basic diffuse colors with simple glossy/matte materials.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

A very quick (and unfair-ish) test. Three renders, all of the same scene. Only 'allowances' made is the naming of the single distant light as Sun (to allow Reality to pick it up) and Adding the Luxus light property to it (for Luxus to treat it as sunsky2).

Took just shy of 30 minutes as a 'plain' 3Delight render (shadows were set to ray-traced on light). Scene consists of one Genesis basic female (Daiyu textures) with YDress (supplied Black textures applied), Gene Stockings, OTPumps, VidaHair; Cyborg Version 4 (with server, ray-traced textures) and V4 face prop added. Back wall and floor are DAZ Primitive planes (Medium Wood shader from Wood Shaders applied).

Each LuxRender render ran for around 30 minutes (I really should have noted how many S/p! Next time, maybe!)

Only post-work is to add text and save as .jpg

LuxTest_Luxus.jpg
    815 x 1054 - 235K
    LuxTest_Reality.jpg
    815 x 1054 - 216K
    LuxTest_3Delight.jpg
    815 x 1054 - 201K
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    A very quick (and unfair-ish) test. Three renders, all of the same scene. Only 'allowances' made is the naming of the single distant light as Sun (to allow Reality to pick it up) and Adding the Luxus light property to it (for Luxus to treat it as sunsky2).

Took just shy of 30 minutes as a 'plain' 3Delight render (shadows were set to ray-traced on light). Scene consists of one Genesis basic female (Daiyu textures) with YDress (supplied Black textures applied), Gene Stockings, OTPumps, VidaHair; Cyborg Version 4 (with server, ray-traced textures) and V4 face prop added. Back wall and floor are DAZ Primitive planes (Medium Wood shader from Wood Shaders applied).

Each LuxRender render ran for around 30 minutes (I really should have noted how many S/p! Next time, maybe!)

From those renders it appears as if Luxus has some sort of tiling problem...

• SphericLabsSphericLabs Posts: 598
    edited March 2013

mjc1016 said:
    SimonJM said:

The tiling is an oversight, I know a big one, but will be fixed as a soon as possible. There is a workaround for anyone willing to dabble. Select the materials you want to tile and do the Luxus - LuxRender material action, choose the "Only Extra Settings" for the type, accept, find the LuxRender extra settings parameter and paste the following into it.

Texture "texture0" "color" "imagemap"
     "float vscale" [-$(Vertical Tiles)]
     "float uscale" [$(Horizontal Tiles)]
     "string filename" [%(Diffuse Color)]

Material "matte" "texture Kd" ["texture0"]

Post edited by SphericLabs on
  • SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I was just hoping...

Yet another method by which DAZ shoots itself in the foot. There is a huge community that won't go to 4.0 or 4.5 because of the horrid, laothesome interface. With the surfeit of Genesis-only products, and now this, it's amazing how much money DAZ is willing to lose by trying to force users to move up to a version they hate.

Thanks,

..Joe

I thought this thing was a PA product and not a DAZ one. 8-/
    Isn't it?

• diademprodiadempro Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

It says DAZ Studio 4.5 on the Product Page, so I don;t imagine it works in DS4.0 either, sorry

Yeah, I was just hoping...

Yet another method by which DAZ shoots itself in the foot. There is a huge community that won't go to 4.0 or 4.5 because of the horrid, laothesome interface. With the surfeit of Genesis-only products, and now this, it's amazing how much money DAZ is willing to lose by trying to force users to move up to a version they hate.

Thanks,

..Joe

Hey Joe,

Just wanted to throw my two cents in, from a former "fellow DS4 hater". For quite some time I was stuck on DS3, and every time I tried DS4 I had nothing but problems, and kept going back to 3. I now finally have found myself using DS4 almost exclusively, and everything I used to find was better, stronger, faster in 3.... now seems to me I have a better overall experience in 4. I recently re-downloaded all my content in the new Daz Content Install Manager, and I find searching through content library and using "Smart Content" tab at times works well, and basically the environment is just nice and improvements in many places.

So I encourage you, if you haven't checked it in a while... give DS4 another look.

(By the way... I used Reality in a couple shots in this trailer at revelationmovie.org. LuxRender is nice, particularly if you have a render farm.. I like Reality... debating on whether to try Luxus).

- Nathan Gopen

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    SimonJM said:

The tiling is an oversight, I know a big one, but will be fixed as a soon as possible. There is a workaround for anyone willing to dabble. Select the materials you want to tile and do the Luxus - LuxRender material action, choose the "Only Extra Settings" for the type, accept, find the LuxRender extra settings parameter and paste the following into it.

Texture "texture0" "color" "imagemap"
     "float vscale" [-$(Vertical Tiles)]
     "float uscale" [$(Horizontal Tiles)]
     "string filename" [%(Diffuse Color)]

Material "matte" "texture Kd" ["texture0"]

Useful hint - though in this instance I am not sure tiling is the issue as the tiling values are set to 1 on the surfaces. I'll have a play when I get a moment.

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

I’ll stick with Reality.
    I’d definitely give it a chance but I won’t spend on another DS to Lux plugin.
    But I hope this helps more people to use Luxrender because LuxRender is awesome.

• BendinggrassBendinggrass Posts: 1,367
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    SimonJM said:

My apologies...... what is "tiling"?

edited March 2013

mjc1016 said:
    SimonJM said:

My apologies...... what is "tiling"?
    Repeating textures via uv scaling. Its fixed, getting a new version to users will take a week or so.

• OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123
    edited December 1969

Luxus seems to use more memory than Reality; I did a simple sun+Streets of the Mediterranean render in each, and with Luxus, my 8GB iMac ran out of memory and got very slow as it thrashed; but with Reality and LuxRender both running, the same system has more than 2GB to spare.

edited March 2013

Ostadan said:
    Luxus seems to use more memory than Reality; I did a simple sun+Streets of the Mediterranean render in each, and with Luxus, my 8GB iMac ran out of memory and got very slow as it thrashed; but with Reality and LuxRender both running, the same system has more than 2GB to spare.

We both use the same renderer so I am not sure, but I am going to guess texture memory. Try using the collect textures option and set the Max Texture Dimension to something on the smaller side like 1024.

• CzexanaCzexana Posts: 167
    edited December 1969

Ostadan said:

Looking at the Lux logs loading the identical scene from Luxus and Reality into Lux, Luxus appears to do a loop subdivision on every object and Reality doesn't. So the geometry from Luxus will take about four times the memory roughly?

edited December 1969

czexana said:
    Ostadan said:

Looking at the Lux logs loading the identical scene from Luxus and Reality into Lux, Luxus appears to do a loop subdivision on every object and Reality doesn't. So the geometry from Luxus will take about four times the memory roughly?

That sounds right.

If you turn down the Mesh Resolution of a subdivided figure in the viewport, Luxus will not tell LuxRender to subdivide it.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

With Reality at least, the mesh Studio provides to it already has CC subdivision applied when subdivision is enabled on an object. Any subdivision specified in Reality for Lux is additional subdivision of the item. Thus, using the mesh resolution as the subdivision level driver in Luxus may in fact be causing the mesh to be subdivided twice -- once by Studio when it hands Luxus the geometry and once by LuxRender. If you're getting the same mesh from Studio that Reality does, then I'd suggest only applying subdivision in Lux if the user has explicitly requested it via your Luxus parameters.

ProTip: The CC algo that Studio uses tends to do a better job on the humanoid figures than Lux's Loop subdivision algo. Lux tends to cause visible striations in places like the arms, chest and legs when Loop is applied, and it gets worse the more levels of Loop specified. So for Genesis and V4, I always use Studio's subdivision instead of LuxRender's.