Fixing eye deformation on transferred morphs

Ancient-DreamAncient-Dream Posts: 14
edited July 2017 in The Commons

Hello there, 

I transferred one of my custom morphs I did from G2F to G8F. Everything worked fine. Morph looks great on G8, but I have one small issue. The eyes are slightly deformed. Is there any easy way to fix this in DAZ? It's quite impossible to fix them in ZBrush because the deformation is too complex. I would be very time consuming if I try to correct this by hand (if it's even possible). Can I revert the morphing just on the eyes while keeping the morphs of the other parts? Or is there maybe another solution? Hope this is understandable.

Post edited by Ancient-Dream on

Comments

• Ancient-DreamAncient-Dream Posts: 14
    edited July 2017

• Hello there, 

I transferred one of my custom morphs I did from G2F to G8F. Everything worked fine. Morph looks great on G8, but I have one small issue. The eyes are slightly deformed. Is there any easy way to fix this in DAZ? It's quite impossible to fix them in ZBrush because the deformation is too complex. I would be very time consuming if I try to correct this by hand (if it's even possible). Can I revert the morphing just on the eyes while keeping the morphs of the other parts? Or is there maybe another solution? Hope this is understandable.

Is there any easy way to fix this in DAZ?

No.

Can I revert the morphing just on the eyes while keeping the morphs of the other parts?

Maybe. It depends on the rest of the morph. There are methods that will exclude things from a morph, eaither at load (much mor flexible) or after. However, they are all or nothing. The excluded sections rever back to their unmodified state, With tranfered morphs, this will amost certain result in things being in the wrong place. Several techniques are discussed in the morphs from G3 to G8 thread. They are quite generic and will work on all but HD morphs and any figure.

Or is there maybe another solution?

No. This covers all possible options. Either roll the dice on excluding the morph entirely, or edit in an external application (IMO, ZBursh is the wrong app for that. Hexagon, or Blender would be better choices. You need extremely fine control, and ZBursh is not intended for that sort of thing), or both.

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,064
    edited April 2019

I don't know what kind of morph you've got (head,body,etc..), but I think it will work if it contains eyeballs.

Post edited by Seven193 on
  • ChangelingChickChangelingChick Posts: 3,026
    edited July 2017

No.

Yes, when you load the morph in with morph loader pro, there is an attenutae option. You can choose to attentuate by weight maps, facet groups or surface (facet groups will let you pick an entire eye). If you want to exclude the left eye from the morph you're importing, choose left eye, then put the strength to -1 to exclude it. There is a way to select multiple items with the geometry selection tool as I recall and make a new facet group maybe? Don't remember offhand because I don't use it (it's super easy/fast to do it in Zbrush)... easier just to import/export the object a few times until all the parts you don't want morphed are. 

Edit: You will have to reposition and scale the eyes to fit though because they will be completely unmorphed.

Post edited by ChangelingChick on
    edited April 2019

Edit: You will have to reposition and scale the eyes to fit though because they will be completely unmorphed.

yep.

• Singular BluesSingular Blues Posts: 737
    edited July 2017

No.

Yes, when you load the morph in with morph loader pro, there is an attenutae option. You can choose to attentuate by weight maps, facet groups or surface (facet groups will let you pick an entire eye). If you want to exclude the left eye from the morph you're importing, choose left eye, then put the strength to -1 to exclude it. There is a way to select multiple items with the geometry selection tool as I recall and make a new facet group maybe? Don't remember offhand because I don't use it (it's super easy/fast to do it in Zbrush)... easier just to import/export the object a few times until all the parts you don't want morphed are. 

As I noted, this will revert the verts toward their starting point. At full attenuation all the way back. With a lot of morphs this will be just as badly distorted as the distortion the OP wants to fix.

The OP asked for easy. This is not easy.

The only way to "Fix" this distortion is to manally adjust either the starting point for the source and target meshes, or to correct the distortions in an external editor. Both options require work that is not easy.

So, again, that answer is "no." As I said before.

Post edited by Singular Blues on
    edited July 2017

Thanks a lot for your help and tips. And thanks Ryzan for the link. I will give it a try. This tool could solve my problems. If not then I will see what I can do about excluding some parts while morphing. It's much easier to rescale and reposition the eyes and gums than repairing completely deformed ones. 

edited July 2017

I haven't tried that tool on anything except but face morphs, but I have a feeling it will restore your morphed eyeballs, and keep everything else the same.

edited July 2017

I tried that tool now on my morph and it worked very well. Even the jaw is perfect now and everything stayed in place. Now I can fix some FaceGen Files with deformations I left unattended because it would have been too time consuming to fix them by hand. Thank you for that, it's very helpful.

• ChangelingChickChangelingChick Posts: 3,026

As I noted, this will revert the verts toward their starting point. At full attenuation all the way back. With a lot of morphs this will be just as badly distorted as the distortion the OP wants to fix.

The OP asked for easy. This is not easy.

The only way to "Fix" this distortion is to manally adjust either the starting point for the source and target meshes, or to correct the distortions in an external editor. Both options require work that is not easy.

So, again, that answer is "no." As I said before.

You can use the translate/scale sliders in DS on each eyeball to properly position them if they eyeball itself is not distorted, and that way the rigging will be maintained and you won't have to mess with it on the eyeballs. Just add their position into the ERC freeze. It's not a one click solution (though apparently Ryzan's tool is), but I would consider it easy, and you don't have to leave DS.