3DS Explosion in Carrara

CrispycraftCrispycraft Posts: 19
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hey, guys, I just had a quick question.

Why do some 3DS models explode in Carrara? I just purchased a 3DS model of a ship, but when I open it in Carrara very few of the objects line up correctly. Is there something that I can do for this?

Usually I will get an obj file and a 3ds file, and the obj always seems to load correctly, but this time I got a 3d max file and a 3ds file. Obviously I can't open the 3d max file in Carrara.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It probably means the various parts were scaled and assembled in an "assembly room" similar to how we can assemble various model parts into a scene in Carrara.

Not sure how to fix it. There maybe some 3D interchange programs that can open it and resave in another format.

Also, try every setting under the import menu....

• MedzinMedzin Posts: 337
    edited December 1969

This happens when the XForm was not reset before being exported from 3DSmax.
    The only way to fix is to open .max file in MAX and re-export properly.
    Maybe the vendor you purchased it from would consider doing it

• CrispycraftCrispycraft Posts: 19
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the help, guys! I'll ask the builder to export it correctly.

edited December 1969

Medzin said:
    This happens when the XForm was not reset before being exported from 3DSmax.
    The only way to fix is to open .max file in MAX and re-export properly.
    Maybe the vendor you purchased it from would consider doing it

I downloaded Autodesk, loaded the 3ds max file and reset the XForm (watched an online video). But when I go to export the file as a 3DS it doesn't do it. I did, however, export it as an obj file, but there is no movement of parts. I tried the dae file export, but Autodesk locks up when I try.

I know that this is more of an autodesk issue now, but I figured since you knew about the XForm, you might know why the 3ds and dae export doesn't work.

• MedzinMedzin Posts: 337
    edited December 1969

I downloaded Autodesk, loaded the 3ds max file and reset the XForm (watched an online video). But when I go to export the file as a 3DS it doesn't do it. I did, however, export it as an obj file, but there is no movement of parts. I tried the dae file export, but Autodesk locks up when I try.

I know that this is more of an autodesk issue now, but I figured since you knew about the XForm, you might know why the 3ds and dae export doesn't work.

I have no idea what the problem might be. I know there are some limitations on the trial version, but I think it gives you a warning about non-availability.

I admire your determination in obtaining 3DS max, but keep in mind that it is not a simple program and requires configuration to works optimally with any system (especially those with UAC)

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

I would try a couple of other apps capable of importing 3ds files before attempting max...simply because it's set up can be such a pain/very time consuming.

And yes, sometimes, nothing but it can fix an exploding file...but I've often found that if one app doesn't work, another will...or at least get something usable out of it.

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    edited December 1969

Others have recommended the free Autodesk FBX Converter for other problems, maybe it will help now too?
    http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=10775855

edited December 1969

Medzin said:

I admire your determination in obtaining 3DS max, but keep in mind that it is not a simple program and requires configuration to works optimally with any system (especially those with UAC)

LOL! I'm very tenacious. Yeah, I'd actually like to be able to work with Autodesk, but I don't have the time so putting down that kind of cash would be pointless.

edited December 1969

3drendero said:
    Others have recommended the free Autodesk FBX Converter for other problems, maybe it will help now too?
    http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=10775855

This actually worked. The drawback is the fact that now all of the textures are too shiny, but I can deal with that. Thanks for the tip, 3drendero!

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI Crispy craft :)

just my 2cents,...

3DS is an older format which uses triangles,. even if your model is quads, it converts to tri's on export. (not always a good thing)
    MAX scene files are much better for using with Max.

OBJ models are much better for opening in Carrara, (or any other 3D app) and they don't get converted to triangles.

Max should have a "Carrara" option in the export dialogue for OBJ models.

As the shader engines and rendering engines are different, in 3D programs,.. the surface highlight / shininess / bump / reflection settings may all need to be adjusted to suit whatever program you're working in.
    Even opening Daz3D / Poser content in carrara normally requires some adjustments to the shaders.

Fortunately you can save all of the adjusted shaders into your "shaders" tab,.. in the Carrara browser.

Hope it helps :)

edited December 1969

After trying my hand at XForming and converting files, the builder (Oleg, from gunpoint-3d.com) of the model in question reformatted it for me and updated his site! But, all in all, it was interesting to try my hand at doing the edits myself.

As I said before, I would love to learn more about Autodesk, I just don't want to fork out that kind of cash just for my own amusement.

And thanks for all of your help, guys! You all taught me a lot these past couple of days.