Lighting in need of a fix

ManStanManStan Posts: 0
edited March 2013 in Carrara Discussion

Now I like the new light icons, only issue is the tube light diameter doesn't scale. The real issue though is bad light. All scene lights aside from bulbs gives horrendous lighting effects. This has been an issue for quite some time. It's an issue I don't think the DAZ devs can fix.

In the picture below from right to left is shaped lights; 2 rectangular strips. Tube lights; which were hard to set because scaling them down to 2m gave me a D cell batter shaped light to set. And last is an old lighting solution for tube lights from C5, 2 rows of bulbs 20 bulbs each.
As much as I like shaped lights and tube lights the light the give is unsuitable; very bad, for most scenes.

http://carraracafe.com/?page_id=2022/carrara/of-lights-and-lighting

light.jpg
800 x 600 - 17K
Post edited by ManStan on

Comments

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited March 2013

ManStan said:
    Now I like the new light icons, only issue is the tube light diameter doesn't scale. The real issue though is bad light. All scene lights aside from bulbs gives horrendous lighting effects. This has been an issue for quite some time. It's an issue I don't think the DAZ devs can fix.

In the picture below from right to left is shaped lights; 2 rectangular strips. Tube lights; which were hard to set because scaling them down to 2m gave me a D cell batter shaped light to set. And last is an old lighting solution for tube lights from C5, 2 rows of bulbs 20 bulbs each.
    As much as I like shaped lights and tube lights the light the give is unsuitable; very bad, for most scenes.

http://carraracafe.com/?page_id=2022/carrara/of-lights-and-lighting

Yeah, the tube lights are like Distant Lights in that all the light is parallel, so the shadows are totally weird. The ring lights are also strange but the ring shape fixes some of the parallel weirdness.

I saw your Police Station over at Cafe and was wondering what you were using for florescent lights... It looked good! ;-)

What if you tried a Ring Light scaled really low on one side, so the "ring" would be like 4ft x 6in -- or roughly the size of a typical 2 or 4 bulb fixture...?

You might also consider using a larger elongated ring light as the bounce, about a foot off the floor, directly under each fixture...

Post edited by wetcircuit on
  • ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ya, those were the bulb solution ;) I tried with a ring light and ended up with the same lighting issues. The shaped lights are good for fill lighting, but bad for main lighting. In that scene I want the area well lit but with dark shows at the ceiling and corners. I can get rid of the banding by setting the soft shadows dispersion{?} way up, but then there is no shadows from the light fixture.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI Stan :)

Have you tried using an IES "Photometric profile" in the effects for the light.

you can find thousands of IES light files, for free, on-line,. and you'll find specific files for florescent lights and fittings.

:)

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198
    edited August 2013

3DAGE said:

you can find thousands of IES light files, for free, on-line,. and you'll find specific files for florescent lights and fittings.

Hi 3DAGE,

Just wondering if a poweruser such as yourself has ever overcome the IES lighting issues over a network? I've used various editors to achieve different IES lights and imported to Carrara fine, but when I network render, the nodes just use a (default?) standard definition.

The net effect is that the animation looks like it's flashing as the nodes render differently to the main machine.

This is especially more painful now with the near 100% speed increase in network rendering 8.5 vs 8.1 (from my testing of large scene files). I'd love even a work-around of this issue.

Post edited by Sci Fi Funk on
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:

Hi 3DAGE,

Just wondering if a poweruser such as yourself has ever overcome the IES lighting issues over a network? I've used various editors to achieve different IES lights and imported to Carrara fine, but when I network render, the nodes just use a (default?) standard definition.

The net effect is that the animation looks like it's flashing as the nodes render differently to the main machine.

This is especially more painful now with the near 100% speed increase in network rendering 8.5 vs 8.1 (from my testing of large scene files). I'd love even a work-around of this issue.
    I need a bug report on that one please. :(

edited December 1969

Hi DAZ_Spooky,

I've raised #148836 Carrara 8.5 pro Network Rendering with IES profiles.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure it can't be solved without a fix.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Hi DAZ_Spooky,

I've raised #148836 Carrara 8.5 pro Network Rendering with IES profiles.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure it can't be solved without a fix.I already moved it. Thanks. It isn't the only lighting over a network bug, I wouldn't be surprised if they are related, or the fix is, anyway. :)

edited December 1969

I already moved it. Thanks. It isn't the only lighting over a network bug, I wouldn't be surprised if they are related, or the fix is, anyway. :)

Thanks man. I've added this to the ticket, but just in case anyone else is reading the thread. The bug is easily spotted with an c8.5 indoor scene (party lights). Remove all lights except spot 2 (bottom left in scene), change to white and reduce brightness to 100%. REnder over a network - slight flicker.

Now widen the half angle to say 50% and the bug becomes very obvious. I also wonder if the light cone settings are kept over a network render as well?