Three Questions...

LaughingVulcanLaughingVulcan Posts: 77
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

Two about Genesis...one about an older version of DAZ Studio...

Genesis:

Where would we look on Aiko 5 for her texture Templates?

Also, I'm not QUITE understanding the value of multiple UV's on one Genesis figure? Wouldn't it be more efficient to just have one, like in the past...and just detail it differently for different characters? Or is this something of value I missed?

DAZ Studio:
(This will likely be a STRANGE question...)

I'm working with BelBel & ChibiBel in DAZ Studio 4.5 Pro making Gynoids. One of my artist friends on DeviantArt is working with me on the same characters, but he's MOST comfortable with DAZ Studio 3. I've tried transferring the color setting files to him, but he can't figure it out.

My WEIRD question: Does DAZ have any old copies of Studio 3 for Mac OS X lying around that I can download/install?
This way: I'll know what he's looking at, and will HOPEFULLY be able to send over color files that he can just double click and apply.

I'm getting more and more into the new Studio and it's pretty nice! I think I'm beginning to prefer it over Poser now! :)

Thanks for the time and( (hopefully) the answers for this noob! :)

Be well, all.

Greg L.

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Where would we look on Aiko 5 for her texture Templates? Most Genesis figures still use the Default V4 Template unless stated it uses the updated V5 template.

Also, I'm not QUITE understanding the value of multiple UV's on one Genesis figure? Wouldn't it be more efficient to just have one, like in the past...and just detail it differently for different characters? Or is this something of value I missed?Ever need one ARM of a figure to be made of rock/metal/other and the rest of the Figure be normal? This allows you to do that without editing the material zones.

DAZ Studio
    (This will likely be a STRANGE question...)

I'm working with BelBel & ChibiBel in DAZ Studio 4.5 Pro making Gynoids. One of my artist friends on DeviantArt is working with me on the same characters, but he's MOST comfortable with DAZ Studio 3. I've tried transferring the color setting files to him, but he can't figure it out.

My WEIRD question: Does DAZ have any old copies of Studio 3 for Mac OS X lying around that I can download/install?
    This way: I'll know what he's looking at, and will HOPEFULLY be able to send over color files that he can just double click and apply.

If you ever had DS3 in your Downloads you can go to your IOH and RESET it. DS3 and DS4 can both be installed at the same time without conflicts.

I'm getting more and more into the new Studio and it's pretty nice! I think I'm beginning to prefer it over Poser now! :)

Be well, all.

Greg L.Enjoy, and I hope I have helped some.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,731
    edited December 1969

File>Save as>Character Preset will let you save a preset, as long as you choose ASCII .dsa as the format, thhat can be applied in DS3.

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

File>Save as>Character Preset will let you save a preset, as long as you choose ASCII .dsa as the format, thhat can be applied in DS3.

Actually that would be File>Save As...>Depreciated>Character Preset to get the legacy formats.
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Where would we look on Aiko 5 for her texture Templates? Most Genesis figures still use the Default V4 Template unless stated it uses the updated V5 template.A5 has her own UV templates (as does M5, Hitomi, Hiro 5).
    Jaderail said:

Also, I'm not QUITE understanding the value of multiple UV's on one Genesis figure? Wouldn't it be more efficient to just have one, like in the past...and just detail it differently for different characters? Or is this something of value I missed?Ever need one ARM of a figure to be made of rock/metal/other and the rest of the Figure be normal? This allows you to do that without editing the material zones.
    Not what the OP is talking about (besides you can't mix & match UV sets). I think the different UVs help to deal with texture stretching on some of the figures.

DAZ Studio
    (This will likely be a STRANGE question...) I'm working with BelBel & ChibiBel in DAZ Studio 4.5 Pro making Gynoids. One of my artist friends on DeviantArt is working with me on the same characters, but he's MOST comfortable with DAZ Studio 3. I've tried transferring the color setting files to him, but he can't figure it out. My WEIRD question: Does DAZ have any old copies of Studio 3 for Mac OS X lying around that I can download/install?
    If you ever had DS3 in your Downloads you can go to your IOH and RESET it. DS3 and DS4 can both be installed at the same time without conflicts.

Be well, all.

Greg L.Enjoy, and I hope I have helped some.

• LaughingVulcanLaughingVulcan Posts: 77
    edited December 1969

BWSman said:
    A5 has her own UV templates (as does M5, Hitomi, Hiro 5).

That's what I was thinking, looking at the pull-down listing of UV maps in Studio, but I want to figure out WHERE the actual Templates ARE, so I can bring them into FreeHand and Photoshop to create the gynoid alphas & skins.

But I don't see it in the Store here in the descriptive area under Aiko 5. SnowSultan's site doesn't seem to have' em yet, either... :(

Jaderail said:
    Ever need one ARM of a figure to be made of rock/metal/other and the rest of the Figure be normal? This allows you to do that without editing the material zones.

BWSman said:
    Not what the OP is talking about (besides you can't mix & match UV sets). I think the different UVs help to deal with texture stretching on some of the figures.

I changed the UV settings on Aiko 5's lips and saw the texture jump around...just didn't put 1+1 together. Texture stretching for the different forms...that DOES make sense...

Now I HAVE to see if I can do Aiko with a strange textured arm, too! :)

If you ever had DS3 in your Downloads you can go to your IOH and RESET it. DS3 and DS4 can both be installed at the same time without conflicts..

Just checked. I've got Studio 4, but no 3.5...Bummer. :(

File>Save as>Character Preset will let you save a preset, as long as you choose ASCII .dsa as the format, that can be applied in DS3.

THAT I can do...(Is there a tutorial URL that I can send my friend showing how to load them into his Studio properly? I think I'm picking up Studio faster than he's picked up HIS, so I've tried describing the presets step by step...and it hasn't worked.)

I WILL give this technique a try tonight, just don't be surprised if I'm back to ask EVEN MORE questions! :D

Enjoy, and I hope I have helped some.

ALL three of you have! Thanks! :)

edited March 2013

Export A5 in .obj format and use UV Mapper ( www.uvmapper.com ) to extract the templates.

Post edited by BWSman on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,731
    edited December 1969

As noted, I missed the Deprecated bit from the menu - File>Save As>Depreciated>Character Preset