I need a UVMapping Utility that will...

wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
edited March 2013 in The Commons

I need a UVMapping Utility that will create a different map for different material zones on the same mesh.

Yes, UVMapper will divide up material zones on a mesh. What it will not do is do Cylindrical mapping on one part of the mesh and spherical or flat on another...

I need an application that will do that OR, what would be better, an app that will allow me to weld vertexes without losing UVS.

Here's why: if I take a flat plane that has been UVMapped, shape it, take another flat plane that has been UVMapped, and shape that, welding the two of them together in HEX destroys the UV data. So If I'm building a model that will be subdivided in DS, I have to go through the tedious process of unwrapping the UV on the whole mesh.

I need to be able to define the UV, then shape, then weld, and have the UV remain intact. Where can I find an application that will do that?

Edited to place full question in body of post

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417
    edited December 1969

You CAN do that with UVMapper, actually. Select polygons, apply map, select the other polygons, apply map. Scale both up to fit whatever size you want.

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly are you making, and what kind of UV map does it need?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Blender...it's UV tools can operate in 'live' mode and update the UVs as you model. But I'm not sure if they are capable of separate unwrap methods on the differing parts...

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited March 2013

Valandar said:
    You CAN do that with UVMapper, actually. Select polygons, apply map, select the other polygons, apply map. Scale both up to fit whatever size you want.

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly are you making, and what kind of UV map does it need?

You mean UVMapper Pro? Uvmapper basic will not.

MJC, ideally I'd like it to just keep the planner UVS I assigned before I shape the mesh... For instance, the dress I made for Belle has eight sections on the skirt. Each of those started off as a flat plane, 5x15 polygons, and were UVMapped. I had intended to keep those UVS, but subdivision made that impossible. The edge verts had to be welded or there would be gaps.

Post edited by wancow on
  • icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

UV mapper Pro will most definitely do it. Does the object file already have mat zones? If it does, you can load it into UVmapper Classic.

Pull down the file menu and go to Select. Click on by Material. This will bring up a list of material zones. You can chose the one or ones you want.

You can also assign by going further down to Assign and clicking on by Material.

If you need to make new mat zones, you need either Pro, a modeller that has UV tools, or another advanced UV program.

edited March 2013

okay, UVmapper classic will NOT do this:

Export a plane and a cylinder to a single OBJ file

Load into UVMapper classic

Apply Cylindrical mapping to the Cylinder and planar mapping to the plane.

Are you telling me UVMapper Pro can do that?

Post edited by wancow on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

In order to get a good UV mapping you really need to strategically cut the mesh with seams and unwrap. Blender has some of the best mapping tools available for free. I suggest studying the mapping of people models along with reading any tutorial you can find, even if they aren't for the app you use they still can be informative.

edited March 2013

the fastest way to do that is to start with planar, cylindrical or spherical mapping, then unwrap. It's still a slow process. What would be better is to keep the UV in mind when modelling and be able to maintain the UVS when verts are welded. I know of only one application that is capable of that, which is Rhino3D, which is out of my price range.

I'm hoping there is a UVmapping util which will give one the ability to do this.

Let me give you a for instance. I modelled a mug. Using cylindrical mapping made it very difficult to separate the handle. However, if I removed the handle, then I would have to make it high poly and never subdivide it. I have to have proper cylindrical mapping on the mug cup to be able to apply a photograph or a logo. As a single object, there is no way to apply spherical mapping to the handle and cylindrical to the mug itself, they have to be separate objects to accomplish this.

What I asked was this: can UVMapper Pro apply cylindrical mapping and planar or spherical mapping to the same object on different material zones. I see nothing in its features that allows for this.

Post edited by wancow on
    edited December 1969

If you make the handle a separate group/material UVMapper should be able to do that...

edited December 1969

UVMapper classic will not. It does the whole model at once.

edited December 1969

I just checked...one of my models.

Loaded it into UVMapperClassic, generated a spherical UV map on the load (it had none). Then, selected each material...Edit > New UV Map and for each material chose a different way of mapping...and it only generated a map for the selected material.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

I don't know about uvmapping, just that I want to learn about it one day ... that said: does this one help?
    UV Mapping with RoadKill
    http://www.morphography.uk.vu/uvmapping.html

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    Valandar said:

You mean UVMapper Pro? Uvmapper basic will not.

MJC, ideally I'd like it to just keep the planner UVS I assigned before I shape the mesh... For instance, the dress I made for Belle has eight sections on the skirt. Each of those started off as a flat plane, 5x15 polygons, and were UVMapped. I had intended to keep those UVS, but subdivision made that impossible. The edge verts had to be welded or there would be gaps.

Yes it will...I haven't tried the method above but I have hidden parts uv mappedthe visible parts using a different option an then unhidden the other bits.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,119
    edited December 1969

Yes, I used the hide unwanted map the visible process in UV Mapper Classic on some models I made way back with Amapi, a Hexagon forerunner that didn't have UV mapping.

• 26FAHRENHEIT26FAHRENHEIT Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    UVMapper classic will not. It does the whole model at once.

well euh BUY the full version ..and it will all work as they say ..
    Supporting the maker of UVmapper is a good thing its one of the basic pillars of the POSER DS world ..

So get you CC and buy the full version .. :} and all of it will be yours.

edited March 2013

Pendraia said:

Yes it will...I haven't tried the method above but I have hidden parts uv mappedthe visible parts using a different option an then unhidden the other bits.

I'll be damned! It didn't used to! Haysus, I feel pretty thtoopid...

OKAY: so I have another question:

Why can't I get UVMapper to weld verts? It's supposed to be able to do that... Edit/Tools/Weld Vertices

I tried this with two simple planes... it had three vertices from each in the exact same location, and did not weld them... I checked this by re-importing into Hex and moving the verts, they're are still two where there should be one...

Post edited by wancow on
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    Pendraia said:

I'll be damned! It didn't used to! Haysus, I feel pretty thtoopid...

OKAY: so I have another question:

Why can't I get UVMapper to weld verts? It's supposed to be able to do that... Edit/Tools/Weld Vertices

I tried this with two simple planes... it had three vertices from each in the exact same location, and did not weld them... I checked this by re-importing into Hex and moving the verts, they're are still two where there should be one...

Sorry, I don't know...: (. I've never tried to weld the verts using uv mapper.