What's a .MTL file?

SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
edited December 1969 in New Users

I'm guessing it's a materials file?

If I have a prop (zipped) which consists of just an .OBJ and a .MTL file, I know what to do with the .OBJ but where do I have to put the .MTL file?

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Where are you going to put the OBJ file?

These files are generated as a pair by 3D programs, and should be kept together. The OBJ file holds the mesh information and UV Mapping details, and the MTL files holds references to usually JPEG files which it uses as materials. If there are no JPG or other material files for the MTL file to call, then they are of little value. You would need to use the Import option to load OBJ/MTL in DS.

• SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    edited December 1969

Where are you going to put the OBJ file?

These files are generated as a pair by 3D programs, and should be kept together. The OBJ file holds the mesh information and UV Mapping details, and the MTL files holds references to usually JPEG files which it uses as materials. If there are no JPG or other material files for the MTL file to call, then they are of little value. You would need to use the Import option to load OBJ/MTL in DS.

I tend to put all .OBJ files in my OBJ folder, but I then import them, scale them, add a texture and then just save them as a DAZ prop, so I never need the .OBJ again.

But usually an .OBJ is all I find I need (as the surfaces are in that anyway). I don't think I've ever come across a prop that is just a .OBJ and a .MTL file before.

But from what you're saying, it seems that having a .MTL file woul rather imply there should be .JPG files too?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

If there are no JPG or other material files for the MTL file to call, then they are of little value.

They can and often do contain the basic material settings...'base color'/level, ambient color/level and specularity for the materials. In addition to the, as mentioned, maps for those areas, too. In any case, they aren't a complete (or as nearly complete) material definition as a Poser cr2/pp2 or DAZ format file or material preset file. They are just basic settings.