What is "conforming" clothing?

SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
edited December 1969 in New Users

How is it different from regular clothing? all clothing "fits" itself to the model, surely?

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Conforming Clothing (Clothing for Gen4 figures like V4 and M4) have built in Morphs so you can use those morphs on your models. The Genesis Figures like V5 and M5 do not need that option.

• SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Conforming Clothing (Clothing for Gen4 figures like V4 and M4) have built in Morphs so you can use those morphs on your models. The Genesis Figures like V5 and M5 do not need that option.

Why would clothing need morphs?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I use Gen 4 figures in Poser. I want to use morphs to modify my figures, as I don't want them to be identical, out of the box, clones of each other. SO I need the conforming clothes to have the same morphs in them, so that the clothes will fit the figure once I have morphed it.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I use Gen 4 figures in Poser. I want to use morphs to modify my figures, as I don't want them to be identical, out of the box, clones of each other. SO I need the conforming clothes to have the same morphs in them, so that the clothes will fit the figure once I have morphed it.
    Yep, that's why. Do you want every character to look the same? If I use Muscle's on one figure to Beef them up I need clothing that fit's (Conforms) with the Muscle Morphs I have used.
    edited March 2013

chohole said:

Oh right!

Of course, I use morphs on my characters. I just assumed the clothing stretched to fit? No?

Post edited by Sertorial on
    edited December 1969

Sertorial said:
    chohole said:

Oh right!

Of course, I use morphs on my characters. I just assumed the clothing stretched to fit? No? No only the Genesis stuff does that. If the Clothing does not have the Morphs built in then they will not fit properly.

• RoguePilotRoguePilot Posts: 239
    edited December 1969

Actually, 'conforming' means that that it follows the figure when it's posed.
    In other words, it has the same rig as the figure and the rigs are synchronised. The morphs are extra to that but do a similar thing. Dial a morph in the figure and the clothes get dialed to match if that morph already exists in the clothes.
    DS4 has a function for Genesis to automatically insert new morphs into clothes if one does not already exist, then it dials that morph to match. It's pretty similar technology to other automatic morph insertion programs but it's more immediate.
    Any clothes that are not 'conforming' are 'dynamic' and need to be run through a simulation to fit and move.

edited December 1969

If an item of clothing doesn't have enough morphs in it, then you have to either dial your character to fot the clothes, or use deformers on the clothes to get them to conform to the figure, otherwise your figure can sometimes be busting out all over if dialled to an extrem amount

Not_enough_morphs.png
    629 x 642 - 77K
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    If an item of clothing doesn't have enough morphs in it, then you have to either dial your character to fot the clothes, or use deformers on the clothes to get them to conform to the figure, otherwise your figure can sometimes be busting out all over if dialled to an extrem amount

Yikes! Yes I must admit, I have found this myself and didn't know what to do about it.

So I should basically only get clothing that's conforming, right? (why do they make any other sort?)

edited December 1969

Well I gather that DS and Autofit does it differently, but I use Poser (and an older Poser version at that) and not DS, so do need conforming, or dynamic clothing.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Well I gather that DS and Autofit does it differently, but I use Poser (and an older Poser version at that) and not DS, so do need conforming, or dynamic clothing.

err... you use Poser, not DAZ?! If you don't mind me asking, how come you're an admin on a DAZ forum then?

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,846
    edited March 2013

The vast majority of the clothing you will use in Studio is "conforming", to be "conforming" it needs to have a skeleton, that way it can follow the skeleton in the figure.

The other posters are referring to "super conforming" clothing, this is "conforming" clothing that has properly coded morphs built into it, which automatically dial up to match the morphs on the figure, but only when it's "fitted to" the figure.

The other "conforming" you'll see is "auto conforming", this is clothing that automatically "fits to" the selected figure when you load it into your scene.

Sertorial said:
    chohole said:

err... you use Poser, not DAZ?! If you don't mind me asking, how come you're an admin on a DAZ forum then?

Because DAZ 3D were built on Poser content, most of the stuff you find in the market place, both here and on other sites is all for Poser, and most of us old hands started out with Poser long before there was a DAZ Studio.

Post edited by Bejaymac on
    edited December 1969

Sertorial said:
    chohole said:

I do use DAZ 3D, I just don't choose to use Daz Studio.

I do use Bryce as my main app, and have done since Bryce was first available for the PC, (through several different owners). Poser or DS are merely addons that are used to prepare Content to use in Bryce imo.

I use a vast amount of DAZ 3D content, I would hate to add up the amount of money I have spent at DAZ 3D store in the last 14 years or more. I have been a member of the PC since it first started in 2002, before there were even forums on the DAZ 3D site. I am also a texture artist, have you ever checked my site, to see what I can do with DAZ 3D Content.

Moderators are chosen for their ability to moderate, and not by the app they use.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Sertorial said:
    chohole said:

Yikes! Yes I must admit, I have found this myself and didn't know what to do about it.

So I should basically only get clothing that's conforming, right? (why do they make any other sort?)
    Conforming clothing will follow your characters fine, but morphs are a different matter. Not all clothing will be useable with every body type. Some of the more extreme morphs (such as Young Teen for V4) won't allow you to easily use V4 clothing, and you'll need to play around with a few things to get it working. Genesis has fewer problems with this thanks to its weight mapping.

The majority of clothing you buy from the store will be conforming. There are a few items which are listed as 'dynamic' clothing as well, which is altogether a different beast. Dynamic clothing will bend and crease in a very realistic way to simulate the movement of real cloth. The cost for this added realism however is that you need to plan ahead with posing since the outfits don't follow the character as strictly as conforming clothing does. Essentially this means that for a still image it's often better to create a short animation of your character getting into position, so that the creases are in the right place and the outfit fits snugly.

Dynamic clothing also has the minor drawback of having no way to morph or resize it, so it's only fit for the character it was designed for.