Carrara Challenge #34 - Sing to Me, Muse (any muse, does not have to be music)

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,081
edited July 2017 in Art Studio

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/182101/carrara-challenge-34-sing-to-me-muse-wip-thread#latest

Carrara Challenge #34 - Sing to Me, Muse

The theme is "Sing to Me, Muse."  The term muse has come to mean any source of inspiration for any creation, endeavor, or enterprise.  For this challenge, please provide us with an example of your artistic muse for this image (not necessarily the muse for your life as a whole, but a muse for your particular image this month).  For example, if you were to be inspired by Johnny Cash's song, Ring of Fire, please either copy and paste the lyrics or copy a link to a youtube video (or other) of him singing the song.  If you were to be inspired to render very tasty Golden Corn Puffs, you could copy and paste the appropriate recipe from page 628 of the Joy of Cooking,  You will have to indicate your muse for each image at least once in the WIP thread, and also with your final image in the entry thread.

The theme is quite open.  Interpret it broadly.  Whatever inspires you is OK - as long as you can find a way to indicate it without violating the forum TOS.  If looking for more guidance, you could focus on the word "song" and use music as your muse, with appropriate links, musical scores, or lyrics.  Or, you could focus on the word "Muse," and depict one or more of the ancient muses.  Or, you could consider the reference and render something from Homer, such as the following excerpt.

“Sing to me of the man, Muse, the man of twists and turns
driven time and again off course, once he had plundered
the hallowed heights of Troy.” (Homer, The Odyssey Book 1)

Be hindered by no boundaries, other than the forum TOS.  If you are inspired to render a landscape, go for it.  A mode of public transportation?  go for it.  Space station?  Book cover?  Realstic style?  Toon?  Other?  Go for it.  Just make sure to find a way to provide us evidence of your muse by providing a link, copying and pasting, or anything else that complies with the forum TOS.

Important dates - Entry Thread Closes August 11th

- WIP thread opens - July 6th, 2017, 3pm, Eastern Standard Time, US.

- Entry thread opens - July 30th, 2017, Midnight, Eastern Standard Time, US.

- Entry thread closes, votng begins - August 11th, 2017, Midnight, Eastern Standard Time, US.

- Voting thread closes, winners announced, - August 18th, 2017, Midnight, Eastern Standard Time, US.

DazSponsored Prizes

Best Artist Participation: $50 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)         
Best Photorealistic Render: $50 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)
Best Non-photorealistic Render: $50 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)
Best Demonstration of Theme: $45 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)

Best Carrara Animation: $45 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)

Enter as many times as you wish

Each image may be inspired by a different muse.  However, you may have more than one image inspired by the same muse.

The thread is in the Carrara forum and can be found here.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/182101/carrara-challenge-34-sing-to-me-muse-wip-thread#latest

Most of all, have fun, and find your inspiration anywhere, from anything, or anyone.

Post edited by Diomede on

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,081

Hear ye!  Hear, Ye!

There will be a separate category for animations in this month's Carrara Challenge.  There has been a category for "Best Demonstration of the Theme," but this month's theme involves people picking and demonstrating their own muse.  Therefore, the ProConsul for Life (or until August 18th, whichever comes first) declares that the Best Demonstration of Theme Category will be temporarily replaced with Best Carrara Animation.  I leave it up to the Carrarators to determine the best way to host their animation and link to it in the WIP and Entry threads.  Same basic rules still apply.  Provide a WIP post explaining your muse, how you used Carrara in your animation workflow, must be new to this challenge period, etc.

Here are the challenge categories for this month. 

Best Artist Participation (cumulative among all of an artist's entries): $50 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)         
    Best Photorealistic Render (still image, yes, postwork is allowed): $50 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)
    Best Non-photorealistic or Stylized Render (still image, yes, postwork is allowed): $50 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)
    ** Best Carrara Animation ** : $45 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)  -- (this replaces Best Demonstration of Theme just for this month because of unique self-selected muses)

So let it be written.  So let it be done. (Yeah, I know, a Pharoah, not a Proconsul)

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I am going to try and do something for this months contest.  I am just going to have to find a muse lol.

Welcome, welcome.  Remember, you don't need a new muse, you just need to share with us who or what the muse is.  laugh

Diomede said:

Welcome, welcome.  Remember, you don't need a new muse, you just need to share with us who or what the muse is.  laugh

lol yes, but I also have to be able to pull it off lol.

edited July 2017

Mike Moir (MMoir) is sponsoring this 34th Carrara Challenge

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/182101/carrara-challenge-34-sing-to-me-muse-wip-thread/p1

In addition to the Daz sponsored items, an image or animation will be selected to receive an item from Mmoir's Daz products.

https://www.daz3d.com/mmoir

Mike Moir is a long time Daz PA and a leading member of the Carrara community.  Mike Moir started in 3d around 1995 with Raydream Studio 5.   He was doing Architectural Illustrations by hand at that time and decided to make the switch to working on the computer. The options he looked at were Bryce and Raydream Studio and he chose Raydream Studio because it seemed more full featured.  Of course, Raydream Studio became Carrara and he has used Carrara ever since for his Architectural Renderings as well as for fun.  He enjoyed entering Cgtalk challenges in the past and found those challenges to be great learning experiences, sadly they don't seem to have those challenges any longer.  He dosn't remember exactly when he became a Daz PA but it has been a while.  Right now he is more interested in animating than modeling but still enjoys working in 3d. 

MMoir AutmnSunny Mystic Gorge.jpg
    1600 x 1051 - 259K
    Winter Scene.jpg
    1500 x 1263 - 398K

Lovely!  I found my muse today while on a nice long drive with my husband today so now I just need to figure out how to execute it lol.  Will be popping over to the WIP in progress thread in the next couple of days.

edited July 2017

That is great news.  Can't wait to see what muse came your way. 

My muse for the Photoreal entry is Pennsylvania.  First, I put together an outdoor scene with terrains, trees, sky, and clouds.  I will eventually add a fur trapper with a flintlock rifle and a hound.  Daniel Boone was a man, a big man,...

Terrain forest mountain render 4 tree foreground mountain background.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 199K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

nice work Diomede

Voting for the 34th Carrara Challenge is open to anyone with a Daz account.  You are invited to check it out and vote if you wish.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/187501/carrara-challenge-34-enry-thread-voting-is-open#latest

Two days left to vote.

Diomede said:

Voting for the 34th Carrara Challenge is open to anyone with a Daz account.  You are invited to check it out and vote if you wish.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/187501/carrara-challenge-34-enry-thread-voting-is-open#latest

Winners announced.

Congratulations to

Stezza - Best Artist Participation (cumulative among all of an artist's entries): $50 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s) - Stezza  

Namtar3D - Best Photorealistic Render (still image, yes, postwork is allowed): $50 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s) - Namtar3D

Headwax - Best Non-photorealistic or Stylized Render (still image, yes, postwork is allowed): $50 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s) - Headwax

Th3digit - ** Best Carrara Animation ** : $45 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)  -- (this replaces Best Demonstration of Theme just for this month because of unique self-selected muses) - Th3digit

(have to click to play)  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2692546/#Comment_2692546

Stezza - the sponsor, MMoir, has selected Stezza to receive one item from his store.  Thank you, Mike Moir, for sponsoring this challenge.