ZBrush Morph Tutorial?

3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

Does anyone know of a GOOD ZBrush tutorial for making Daz Studio morphs?

I've managed to create a morph in ZBrush that I really like, but when I try loading the OBJ with the Morph Loader Pro it tells me that the geometry doesn't match. I don't know what I did wrong. I could really use a good step by step or beginner guide to creating ZBrush morphs for Daz figures.

Any help you guys could give me would be much appreciated.

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,448

Did you add any geometry to it? It has to be the same poly count as the base.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    frank0314 said:

No, I just used the "move"  tool to move the face. 

frank0314 said:

When I try to use the GoZ to transfer it back to Daz Studio I get this popup:

So I must have changed the geometry somehow but I don't know how. I've started over three times - trying different times to make a morph.

How do I keep Zbrush from changing the geometry?

I'll see if I can get someone more experience with that plug-in to help out. Typically adding poly to the object is the cause but not sure what's happening with you.

frank0314 said:

I'll see if I can get someone more experience with that plug-in to help out. Typically adding poly to the object is the cause but not sure what's happening with you.

Thank you, Frank. :)

I tried following this tutorial but I still get the same popup.

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

What figure are you trying to morph, and did you make sure to export at the base resolution with no subdivision?

edited July 2017
    JamesJAB said:

What figure are you trying to morph, and did you make sure to export at the base resolution with no subdivision?

I'm loading the "dev mode" G8F then sending to Zbrush:

I'm not making any changes to it prior to loading it into Zbrush.

Then when I try to import the morph back into Daz Studio I try to import it onto that same Dev Load G8F figure.

Post edited by 3Diva on
    frank0314 said:

It looks like I was exporting it wrong. When I uncheck these two options:

..and then make the morph, it works! Yay! I feel dumb now. lol 

JamesJAB said:

I figured it out. I didn't realize you had to have these two unchecked when exporting to ZBrush:

Once I did that I could make the morphs and then import them just fine! Yay! :)

I'm glad you got it sorted out. Happy rendering.

• JamesJAB said:

I figured it out. I didn't realize you had to have these two unchecked when exporting to ZBrush:

The critical one is the top one; do not ever enable that. On the other, if you ever want to modify the morph in the future, you can simply set the slider to maximum, then select "Export with deformations" and you can adjust it and return it to DAZ Studio and have it update the morph.

frank0314 said:

I'm glad you got it sorted out. Happy rendering.

Thanks, Frank. I'm having a lot of fun with ZBrush and making Daz Studio morphs! :)

JamesJAB said:

The critical one is the top one; do not ever enable that. On the other, if you ever want to modify the morph in the future, you can simply set the slider to maximum, then select "Export with deformations" and you can adjust it and return it to DAZ Studio and have it update the morph.

Thank you for the tips. I really appreciate it. I have pretty much no idea what I'm doing but I'm having fun learning. Any tips or advice are definitely welcome and appreciated.

• JamesJAB said:

Thank you for the tips. I really appreciate it. I have pretty much no idea what I'm doing but I'm having fun learning. Any tips or advice are definitely welcome and appreciated.

Another neat tip for you; if you apply subdivision in zBrush when sculpting, you don't have to worry about forgetting to return the mesh to base resolution. zBrush will automatically reset it to base on export for you. Another neat feature is Dynamic Subdivision, which smooths out the mesh and looks like it's subdivided, but is actually still at base resolution; this allows you to see how the mesh is going to look at a somewhat higher subdivision level without actually applying it, with the attendant delays that can have.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    JamesJAB said:

Another neat tip for you; if you apply subdivision in zBrush when sculpting, you don't have to worry about forgetting to return the mesh to base resolution. zBrush will automatically reset it to base on export for you. Another neat feature is Dynamic Subdivision, which smooths out the mesh and looks like it's subdivided, but is actually still at base resolution; this allows you to see how the mesh is going to look at a somewhat higher subdivision level without actually applying it, with the attendant delays that can have.

You have to be careful with the dynamic subdivision as it may move the mesh for everything on the figure. I found that out turning it on and I had to use DS's tools to select only the polygons I wanted to import for the morph.

edited July 2017

Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it! :)

I did a full body character morph. Would someone tell me how to share it? Attached is the file from the morph folder. Does that work? Can someone test it for me?

If it doesn't work, what files do I need?

rar
    rar
    Divamakeup Character Morph A.rar
    Post edited by 3Diva on
  • TottallouTottallou Posts: 555
    edited July 2017

Diva the morph works as a morph dial - I have zipped it up & attach it here in the correct format for the share

Thanks for the morph :)

zip
    zip
    DivaFreebies.zip
    Diva Morph.png
    800 x 1000 - 829K
    Post edited by Tottallou on
  • It works fine. Lovely morph thank you.

I did a full body character morph. Would someone tell me how to share it? Attached is the file from the morph folder. Does that work? Can someone test it for me?

• LayLo 3DLayLo 3D Posts: 329

I created this tutorial, you may find it useful.

Creating Characters and Morphs for Daz 3D Figures Using ZBrush & GoZ

• BendinggrassBendinggrass Posts: 1,367

Sculptris seems to be the free version of ZBrush, for learning perhaps, though probably not as able.

Can you use this program for your needs?

Tottallou said:

Diva the morph works as a morph dial - I have zipped it up & attach it here in the correct format for the share

Thanks for the morph :)

Oh, thank you so much for packaging it for me! I really appreciate it! :D

Now if I can only remember how I created the morph. lol I can't seem to replicate it. /doh! lol 

It works fine. Lovely morph thank you.

You're welcome! :)

LayLo 3D said:

I created this tutorial, you may find it useful.

Creating Characters and Morphs for Daz 3D Figures Using ZBrush & GoZ

Oh thank you! That is going to be very helpful! yes

Sculptris seems to be the free version of ZBrush, for learning perhaps, though probably not as able.

I've tried sculptris and it works ok for minor morphs but anything like a full body or full face morph, it doesn't work so well for me.

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited July 2017

I too made one that touches on ZBrush in the second post.... hope it helps.

TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis/G2F/G2M/G3M/G3M Full Body Morph for DAZ Studio Pro 4.6 by RKane_1

Post edited by RKane_1 on
    RKane_1 said:

I too made one that touches on ZBrush in the second post.... hope it helps.

TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis/G2F/G2M/G3M/G3M Full Body Morph for DAZ Studio Pro 4.6 by RKane_1

Thanks, RKane_1! I'll check it out! :)

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    JamesJAB said:

And you can export with deformations which is a tool I have used before to make a final morph out of a lot of little morphs I made to fine tune a figure or face.

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151

Sculptris is an entirely different program and you have to know how to work with it to keep it from adding geometry when sculpting which will make it impossible to keep the vert order.  

Sculptris is an entirely different program and you have to know how to work with it to keep it from adding geometry when sculpting which will make it impossible to keep the vert order.  

Yeah, it's a pain to try and use Sculptris for Daz morphs, imo. When you turn on symmetry to try and get a symmetrical morph it changes the poly count (I think) - when I've tried using symmetry in Sculptris then bring the morph into Daz, it gives an error message. So I gave up on using Sculptris for Daz morphs. ZBrush seems to work a lot better for morphs, IMO.

• Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589

for zbrush tutorials (still poser, but good ones) hope for daz alternatives soon check out Darkseal store here