auto_adapted folder in Data folder in DS 4.5

jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Can anyone tell me what the "auto-adapted" folder in the data folder in DS 4.5 is about? I've noticed that there are folders in there that contain stuff from products, and I've noticed that they are products I've used in the last week or so. I've never before noticed that auto adapted folder...

what is it, what caused it?

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

I think that's where DS puts data files it creates when autofitting clothing from earlier generations.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

that was my first thought, but why would it have Zlata by Nursoda (rendo) in there? I certainly never auto fit that to anything. Nor Sector 15 by Stonemason.
    In fact, none of the files in there are clothing files that I have autofitted to genesis from other generations.

I recognize the morphing python, a Genesis outfit by bobbie25(don't know which one), the rBot (robot), mystikoi, SteamWalker amongst others. None of the files in there are something that I've autofitted.

edited December 1969

the reason i'm trying to figure it out is because I have a V4 outfit, and when applying the .duf DS MATS files to it, i get an error message saying:

"some assets needed to load the files are missing. the content may not work as expected. the following files could not be found:

/data/auto_adapted/NAMEOFOUTFIT/....etc"

I'm at a complete loss for that - and then when i went looking for an auto_adapted folder in data, i found it, with all that inside. I've never noticed it before. Both the vendor and I are at a complete loss as to what it is.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

It's not just "older generation clothing". It's anything that doesn't have native DAZ data geometry. So pretty much anything made for Poser used in Studio, or otherwise loaded from a .obj file.

And the error you are getting is a bug that has been filed: https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=48991
    It seems that if Studio decides it needs to update the auto-adapted geometry files during scene file loading, it gets confused and thinks the item isn't there. If you immediately reload the scene, the auto-adapted data elements should be up to date from the failed load, and it will load the scene without issue.

edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    It's not just "older generation clothing". It's anything that doesn't have native DAZ data geometry. So pretty much anything made for Poser used in Studio, or otherwise loaded from a .obj file.

And the error you are getting is a bug that has been filed: https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=48991
    It seems that if Studio decides it needs to update the auto-adapted geometry files during scene file loading, it gets confused and thinks the item isn't there. If you immediately reload the scene, the auto-adapted data elements should be up to date from the failed load, and it will load the scene without issue.

cwichura, thank you. This had be completely befuffled as it's something that I've not encountered before.

When you say "if you immedieately reload the scene.." are you referring to a scene that has been saved and then loaded?

I'm loading a dress, and applying a .duf MAT file to it, and getting the error. I'm not loading a saved scene or anything like it. The mat file does load, but it's such an odd little bug.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

My bug report is in relation to getting the error while loading a saved scene. Are you getting the error when you load the dress? Or when you apply the mat file? If it's when loading the dress, then I could see that being the same bug, and deleting the dress and reloading it should hopefully work. If it's when you apply the mat file, then that sounds like it's a different issue (unless the mat file is also loading geometry for some reason). Either way, after you get the error, try deleting the dress and then reloading it.

edited December 1969

it's when loading the .duf MAT file only - not the actual dress itself. And yep, tried deleting the dress and reloading and still getting it.

it doesn't seem to affect the mat tho - the mat still applies. (unless it doesn't apply some settings correctly, like specular or glossiness or something) But the mat looks fine.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,846
    edited December 1969

TriAx rigged clothing can't exist in DS without an asset file, so every time you use autofit or the Transfer Utility DS creates an asset file for it in that folder, and if your lazy and just save using scene, scene subset or wearable then all of the items asset files will be written into that folder. It's also where DS writes the asset files for any Poser/non DSON content you had in your scene when you save using scene/subset/wearable, which can leave you with a headache if you used a Poser item you previously autofitted, as the assets files for both get saved into the exact same folder with the files getting the exact same names.

As for the error, it sounds like your vendor friend has loaded the Poser item, saved it as either a scene, scene subset or wearable, and then proceeded to make MAT files for it, the problem is that the MATs are now referencing the DSON files in the auto_adapted folder rather than the original Poser version.

• JessaiiJessaii Posts: 845
    edited December 1969

Ahhh eww. Ok so note to self. Dont save a scene then make Mat files >.<</p>

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Silver said:
    Ahhh eww. Ok so note to self. Dont save a scene then make Mat files >.<</div>

Or edit the paths in the mat files with an editor ...

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    TriAx rigged clothing can't exist in DS without an asset file, so every time you use autofit or the Transfer Utility DS creates an asset file for it in that folder, and if your lazy and just save using scene, scene subset or wearable then all of the items asset files will be written into that folder. It's also where DS writes the asset files for any Poser/non DSON content you had in your scene when you save using scene/subset/wearable, which can leave you with a headache if you used a Poser item you previously autofitted, as the assets files for both get saved into the exact same folder with the files getting the exact same names.

As for the error, it sounds like your vendor friend has loaded the Poser item, saved it as either a scene, scene subset or wearable, and then proceeded to make MAT files for it, the problem is that the MATs are now referencing the DSON files in the auto_adapted folder rather than the original Poser version.

So what are we supposed to do? Seriously, this is confusing. Does it only affect us if, say, we autofit a V4 outfit then later use that oufit on the real V4? or what? What am I supposed to do OTHER THAN save scene/subset/wearable. I basically only save Scene.

Are you saying it's a problem if we save scene after using autofit? always? or is it okay if we use autofit, save scene, then later in another session use autofit with the same outfit again?

Please please clairfy.

• KinnieMKinnieM Posts: 130
    edited December 1969

Spit said:
    Bejaymac said:

So what are we supposed to do? Seriously, this is confusing. Does it only affect us if, say, we autofit a V4 outfit then later use that oufit on the real V4? or what? What am I supposed to do OTHER THAN save scene/subset/wearable. I basically only save Scene.

Are you saying it's a problem if we save scene after using autofit? always? or is it okay if we use autofit, save scene, then later in another session use autofit with the same outfit again?

Please please clairfy.

(For 4.5 only. I don't know if this is an option in Daz 4.0)

You have another option other than saving as scene, scene subset or wearable. You can save the auto fitted outfit as a FIGURE/ PROP ASSET (found under Save As/ Support Asset/) and thus whenever you wish to use the outfit again you have saved it already fitted to Genesis. All the work has been done just once and it is saved as a .duf file. You can then use the original mat files and there should be no errors popping up.

• staticstatic Posts: 325
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    TriAx rigged clothing can't exist in DS without an asset file, so every time you use autofit or the Transfer Utility DS creates an asset file for it in that folder, and if your lazy and just save using scene, scene subset or wearable then all of the items asset files will be written into that folder.

I don't get the "if your lazy" comment here. Where is it written to do otherwise? Often I just "Save", is that being lazy? DAZ has a rather twisted set of instructions for Studio and their "New" Help Center/Knowledge Base is most certainly useless. It continuously leads to broken link pages, empty pages, or just plain can't answer the simplest inquiries. So how is save using scene lazy? Please expound. What do the diligent do that the rest of us have missed?

edited December 1969

KinnieM said:
    Spit said:
    Bejaymac said:

Please please clairfy.

(For 4.5 only. I don't know if this is an option in Daz 4.0)

You have another option other than saving as scene, scene subset or wearable. You can save the auto fitted outfit as a FIGURE/ PROP ASSET (found under Save As/ Support Asset/) and thus whenever you wish to use the outfit again you have saved it already fitted to Genesis. All the work has been done just once and it is saved as a .duf file. You can then use the original mat files and there should be no errors popping up.

Thanks for the info. Thank you DAZ for explaining this so well, er not at all.

So there has to be a habit change. I don't sit around fitting clothes to Genesis, I only do it as part of my scene building process. So when i'm working on a scene and at the point I'm adding a figure, then I decide on what clothes he/she should wear I end up using something that needs to be autofitted or the TU specifically used. At THAT point I select the clothes items, one by one I presume, and SaveAs/Support Asset Figure/Prop Asset?

Then continue on with my scene.

Can I save my scene now and it will no longer overwrite? Or do I have to now delete the clothes and reload from where I saved this figure prop asset?!?!

edited March 2013

Spit said:

So there has to be a habit change. I don't sit around fitting clothes to Genesis, I only do it as part of my scene building process. So when i'm working on a scene and at the point I'm adding a figure, then I decide on what clothes he/she should wear I end up using something that needs to be autofitted or the TU specifically used. At THAT point I select the clothes items, one by one I presume, and SaveAs/Support Asset Figure/Prop Asset?

Can I save my scene now and it will no longer overwrite? Or do I have to now delete the clothes and reload from where I saved this figure prop asset?!?!

Yes, this is getting clearer, in a multitude-of-posts kind of way. DAZ makes great software, but they, apparently, can't write to save lives. Could we get an all-inclusive post on this from someone who knows what they are talking about, preferably one without condescension from the more 3D modelling-literate, or possibly a tutorial (just a simple walk-through on this issue, with examples, would suffice)? I've just scrapped another project due to this issue (I think), and I'd love not having to waste more time only to see it all go for naught.

KinnieM, you seem to have a handle on this, do you think you have the time and patience to help us out, please?

Post edited by static on
  • KinnieMKinnieM Posts: 130
    edited December 1969

Spit said:

Yes, this is getting clearer, in a multitude-of-posts kind of way. DAZ makes great software, but they, apparently, can't write to save lives. Could we get an all-inclusive post on this from someone who knows what they are talking about, preferably one without condescension from the more 3D modelling-literate, or possibly a tutorial (just a simple walk-through on this issue, with examples, would suffice)? I've just scrapped another project due to this issue (I think), and I'd love not having to waste more time only to see it all go for naught.

KinnieM, you seem to have a handle on this, do you think you have the time and patience to help us out, please?

I can try but like you and Spit I am only just learning these things. I learned about saving the clothing as a prop asset from converting legacy clothing tutorials for Genesis written by Wancow and Artistb3.

But what I have found is that it is sometimes better to save the converted/ auto-fitted clothing as a prop asset file and then delete the original auto fitted outfit from the scene and reload the new saved prop asset file. The reason is that sometimes the auto-fitted data is overwritten resulting in errors when opening a older saved scene. The program is trying to read the files but its now not there or if it's there it has been changed. This has happened to me several times in the past and corrupted my saved scene files. Now that I use the saved prop asset files instead I am no longer having the corrupted scene issues and my older scenes now load faster when updated with the .duf file versions of the auto-fitted outfits. What I have also done however was to save the original scene with an amended number at the end so that I have both the original version and an updated file version.

The thing about the Prop Asset function is that you can use this to save other items other than clothing for Genesis. I have done so for numerous poser props such as jewelery and swords and even some plant props. As stated above it can help with loading times compared to scenes with the original poser versions in Daz studio.

Hope this helps just a bit :-)

edited December 1969

KinnieM said:
    Spit said:

I can try but like you and Spit I am only just learning these things. I learned about saving the clothing as a prop asset from converting legacy clothing tutorials for Genesis written by Wancow and Artistb3.

But what I have found is that it is sometimes better to save the converted/ auto-fitted clothing as a prop asset file and then delete the original auto fitted outfit from the scene and reload the new saved prop asset file. The reason is that sometimes the auto-fitted data is overwritten resulting in errors when opening a older saved scene. The program is trying to read the files but its now not there or if it's there it has been changed. This has happened to me several times in the past and corrupted my saved scene files. Now that I use the saved prop asset files instead I am no longer having the corrupted scene issues and my older scenes now load faster when updated with the .duf file versions of the auto-fitted outfits. What I have also done however was to save the original scene with an amended number at the end so that I have both the original version and an updated file version.

The thing about the Prop Asset function is that you can use this to save other items other than clothing for Genesis. I have done so for numerous poser props such as jewelery and swords and even some plant props. As stated above it can help with loading times compared to scenes with the original poser versions in Daz studio.

Thank you for that. I am going to try a few projects to get this into habit. I appreciate the time you took to help.

edited December 1969

KinnieM said:

Yes, it helps. A lot.

It also nudges me in a direction with DIM.

Thank you.